Euros exchange and use update

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Moodybrook, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And the US $ is getting stronger at the moment.. Quite handy for me as I have a few of them tucked away ..

3. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Good link Moody thanks. As well as getting a better rate M&S Credit card holders get 56 days no interest when buying currency.(y) Not the best rate available by about Euro 1.50 but we use it regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

I have a bank account here in Berlin and regularly transfer money from my UK Account using Transfer Wise, as do a large number of the blokes I work with. Cannot beat their exchange rates and they are always prompt. I also exchange for family and friends when they visit this way, they put cash into my UK Account and I simply transfer it here, giving it to them in € when they arrive. Todays actual rate (what you actually end up with is €1.2746 at the moment).
    It is worth knowing about if you have a € account anywhere.

https://transferwise.com/

• Like Like x 3
  5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I use ICE-today it's 1.252 delivered next day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I have used Travelex the last couple of times and the rate is very good IF you book and pay on line and arrange to collect at the port/airport/tunnel. They have places for pickup almost everywhere you are likely to leave the country - I have used then at Heathrow (for US dollars) and tunnel terminal (for Euros), and I couldn't find anybody on line to beat them.

However if you just turn up at one of their places without pre-booking the rates are truly awful, so that should be avoided at all costs.

The best rate I ever got for dollars was at the small currency exchange in Covent Garden, London. Can't remember the name, but turned up with cash (got from a bank machine around the corner) and got an unbeatable deal. Subsidised by the rates they were charging the gullible American tourists who were queuing to change their dollars into pounds. Mind you it is only worth it if you happen to be in the area at the time, as I was.

• Like Like x 1
  7. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Hi Used a FAIRFX card for a long time now, good rates only charge is if you use a cash machine .all purchases fuel ,shopping ect cost nothing .I think the cash machine costs 2.5 euro .I put a grand on at a time which i think gives a slightly better rate and saves you having to carry too much cash which these days is not a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. stcyr

stcyr Funster

1.2604 yesterday, with Currency Solutions. Made an extra €460 over last September's rate :)

• Like Like x 3