Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi
Could anyone advise on obtaining euros abroad,we use Nationwide Flex card
as a rule,:Blush: as we dont like the idea of carrying large amounts with us and prefer to use a ATM. We will be away for 8 weeks. approx,:Smile:

Regards Vana :thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We use a Caxton currency card, you pre load it with Euros and then use it like a debit card. We have used ours in shops, supermarkets and garages in France, Italy and Belgium without any problems. It is however not accepted by the motorway toll booths. It works well for us.

http://www.caxtonfx.com/

Brisey.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Very good unbiased UP TO DATE advice here from Martin Lewis, the Moneysaving Expert.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
On our 3 month trip away last year I used my Nationwide credit card for anything I could - fuel, food, eating out etc as it gives a good exchange rate and no charges for using abroad, I then just transfered money over from our Nationwide flex account. To get cash I used my Nationwide flex account which do charge a fee but give a very good rate and I decided I was happy with this as it was convenient. We have several Nationwide accounts, a joint one and two single accounts. I take all 3 cards and keep 2 in the safe incase of lost or stolen cards, as well as a card from anither account.
I just withdrew 300E and got 1.196 and £6 total in fees.
However I have to say on first sight the Caxton card does look quite good so will be investigating that for our next trip!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, agree there, the Nationwide Credit Card is a really good one to have, use ours all the time for purchases. Have the Saga credit card in hand just in case. Jane :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
euro best deal

Thank you all good advice we will look at the options:thumb: