EUROPEAN MHs - WHAT HAPPENED TO KITCHENS AND PREP AREAS?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DiggerJon, Nov 12, 2014.

1. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

I keep looking, I really do, and I have done Burstners, Rapidos, Hymers, Chaussons, etc. but nearly all of them have brilliant layouts which I think "that's it for me" and then I see the kitchen area. A sink and a hob together - and nowhere to prepare the food for cooking! I don't want to use the table in the living area, I don't want a hinged flap the size of a chopping board, I don't want...... Oh, you know what I mean. I love cooking for myself - so frustration would soon manifest itself!
    OK. so how do all of you with those sort of vans manage to prepare food in the kitchen area?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

That is the only thing that lets the RMB down. We get round it the same way as the Germans. Go to Spain in the winter and cook and prepare food outside.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

Outside cooking is the way to go, we have a Cobb and a small bbq and 80% of our cooking is in these

4. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Like many others we've made a few adjustments inside to increase the work area in the kitchen.
    As others have said, in the UK cook indoors, in Europe cook outdoors

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

That was the minus point with the Pilote, after the extensive food preparation area in the AutoSleeper. We got around it by using the big table or the worktop area by the fridge. Not ideal but it is ok and a compromise that was easy to accept

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We also like cooking outside.. But to be honest you adapt.. Its often easy to use all that area to prepare food in advance.. For cooking we use a combination of the excellent oven and the double skillet. I do most of our cooking and we often eat better when we're away than when we're running around between shifts at home. Not having a full size fridge would cripple us though.
    One of the things we have found to be great for food prep btw is a chopping board with integrated slide out waste collector thingy..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. Movinon

Movinon Funster

All vans are compromises. If you are a keen cook then surely the preferable choice is to buy a van where the kitchen is to your taste and accept that other areas may be less than ideal. You certainly can have it all, but for a price and a motorhome length which may not appeal.

We don't cook much - can't stand gas ovens. We do like good storage so chose a van with a garage and large internal cupboards and we don't worry that the kitchen area is on the small side.

8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Digger Jon

Not sure if you are looking for used or new but you are right about the lack of kitchen space and you might have noticed most don't have ovens either, ours doesn't but we have a microwave and a outdoor cooker so don't miss it indoors.

If you are looking for new the Hymer Duo has a half decent kitchen layout if you like the rest of the van as it is different.

http://www.hymer.com/en/models/integrated/duomobil/layout.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have got around the food prep and cooking by fitting a Kampa Roastmaster oven and twin hob just inside the garage on my last two vans. This has its own dedicated gas bottle fitted in the garage. Using this system I can prep on the outside table and cook outside without cooking smells in the van. I also have the BBQ outside and can and do prep and cook full meals with ease. It of course does make life easier if you stay clear of the UK climate. German vans although are generally better winterised than English vans, the Germans tend to eat out more and cook outside more than the Brits. They also do a lot of one pot cooking, so dont need the prep area and oven that the Brits demand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Book into campsites with a pub (y) Let someone else do it :D

• Like Like x 6
  11. keith

keith Funster

It all started with no ovens, replaced with microwave then in order to get twin beds or fixed double reduce the size of kitchen, manufacturers thinking these rich pensioners can afford to eat out.
    We looked at many but Jean would not have one with a small kitchen, so you have to compromise.
    As has been said, you cannot fit it all in unless you go RV or the very big and expensive Euro vans. You have to decide what you want but don't expect the motorhome designers listen to you, they just want to show off their crap designs without any thought for the end user. :moon2::blush:

12. petethemover

petethemover Funster

Our sub 6m Burstner has a large galley, but must admit the other models are more compact. IMG_20141112_142412.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Jon, I don't cook much for myself but agree with you entirely. I have a small table which I use for outside and it fits perfectly INSIDE to one side of the cooking area and I use that for workspace... I am looking at putting a folding small area on the side of wall to lift up .. those folding bracket type things. It won't add much space but every bit will help. :(

14. DuxDeluxe

Should add that the Pilote came with a full size oven and we also added a microwave - we make full use of the kitchen and people have said that my cooking is truly legendary :whistle2:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Do use the dining table - the extra pull round extension on it means still enough space if others using the table too. For short breaks we so take everything prepped so easy - salads washed, grated carrot in bag, sliced onion in tub, cooked pasta in sauce, homemade potato salad, cooked meats plus homemade meals frozen like chilli, curry etc. Means we can eat well & just a quick assembly or reheat so more time to enjoy ourselves:)

16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Huge kitchen, our caravan was similar except the cupboards at the side swing out giving another work surface as well that was behind you as you washed up, if any of that makes sense.

17. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Yes, he killed more people in one meal than the rest of San Quentin inmates put together. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. DuxDeluxe

You are so cruel.............:crying::crying::crying:

But factually correct.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  19. Daifuse

Daifuse

Precisely the reason we bought our Cheyenne 630s - SWMBO needed some space for prep and cooking etc., because we use it all year round and I don't fancy getting theBBQ out when it's p***ing down or cold outside. The layout of the galley (kitchen! being ex boaters it's always the galley) was one of the deciding factors for us, having had an old Chieftain which had no worktop at all.

20. Fletton

Fletton Funster

What model would that be please?.. :). We're currently looking..