LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Makes sense to carry one as you will never know until you get there what type they have..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If going to France you will find the earth pin sticks out of the socket. The plug linked to above has a hole to receive this. It is not a simply two pin plug, which you can use in other places but not France. Of course this does raise the issue of reverse polarity :eek: as non-French two pin sockets allow the plug to be fitted either way round. This shouldn't be a problem with a modern MH but many older vehicles only have a circuit breaker on the live wire. You can get testers and adaptors to correct this if you feel you need to. Many just ignore it but it is something to be aware of.

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Not had any probs with hook up but last year found that at a lot of aires you now need a hose snap on connector type thingy to get water.The seem to be removing the taps and fitting these connectors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I rarely use EHU but have been on many sites that provide them. I have never seen any thing other than the IEC blue socket, the same as used in the UK. However when I started MHing I was given by a set of EHU bits and pieces including an adapter mentioned above to use the CCE 7 system. I have carried this many, many miles but never used it. But maybe one day I will be desperate for an EHU and will need one. :D

IEC plug and sockets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309

Euro CEE7 plug and sockets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#CEE_7_standards

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most are the standard blue ones, but you get the odd old type and need an adaptor. Bear in mind if you have a UK MH and are bothered about such things, that some of the blue ones have reverse polarity too.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you are aiming on going to Germany or Spain then I would advise a slight modification on the link Andy posted. You need an adaptor with a plug which combines both standards as the German one has earth pins at the top and bottom of the circumference. It is not a good example and I am sure someone will point to a better one. But in this link you can see the earth contact as a slot on the outside of the plug. I have actually come accross these quite often. http://tinyurl.com/mqz2xzw

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Apologies Andy, it was not very clear, but enlarging it to very big, yes I can see it is the combination plug.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We have found quite a few places over the years in France and Portugal where we have had to use that type of adapter. We don't usually bother about having hook ups unless they are included in the price where we stay.

We have two 110 amp batteries and two eighty watt solar panels so mostly our needs are more that covered, however in the winter its handy to have the hook up to run the heating rather than use our gas.

The thing is if you come across that type of fixture without the plug you are stymied as accessory shops where you can buy one are few and far between in France, we were on a site near Lodev the other year nd lent ours to a Dutch couple who came onsite so they could run their fridge (they were camping) they asked at the reception if they could get hold of one to be told by the owner that the nearest place was over thirty kilometres away!

Also female type of tap connections seem to be getting more common on bournes too. So you would need a male connector to get water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back