European Health Insurance Card.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Jim, May 28, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

[FONT=&quot]If you are leaving the UK for the continent this year then do not forget to apply for your free European Health Insurance Card. You can order one online, or call 0845 606 2030, do it now because it will take a few weeks to arrive. You really should not travel in Europe without this card, unless of course you are rich enough to be able to pay for the free or heavily discounted medical care that the card gives you access to.:Smile:[/FONT]

2. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Hi Jim,

I think it's worth pointing out that the EHIC is no substitute for travel/medical insurance while abroad.:Smile: If you are unfortunate enough to need the air ambulance flight home the EHIC will not cover the £14,000 cost. :Eeek:

Last year I posted a Country-byCountry List of Entitlement at http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/2202-ehic-country-country-guide-entitlement.html :Smile: For up to date info see Country-by-country guide to entitlement : Department of Health - Health care :Smile:

I think you downloaded it to the site but I can't find it. :Blush:

Don

3. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Just thought it may be worth adding that its quiet important to check the conditions if you do have private travel insurance as some of them actually require you to have and use the EHIC card as part of the conditions,

Its also really important if you have a card to produce it at the beginning of any treatment as from what i have been given to understand if you don't make it clear at the onset you could find yourself being treated under a private scheme and if this happens you could find it very difficult to recover any of your cost,

So please double check if you need it and if you do make sure its handy when and if you have to use it

4. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:RollEyes: Just another point to be taken into account. Usually? Pre-existing ailments, diseases et al are not covered by private insurance. One very BIG reason why we have NEVER or EVER will have one.

I suppose private insurance may come in handy of you get run over or fall down a mountain and break a leg?

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

If you are on miles of medication like me its a good idea to take a copy of your prescription as well.

6. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

another point is to make sure you carry the card with you at all times, for if you go for treatment without it, they won't let you go and get it:Eeek: and then you have to pay i only learnt of this recently when someone had to pay because they didn't have the card with them, wouldn't let the wife go and get it from the hotel,so make sure you add it to your checklist, is there a tick box for this jim:Smile:
    ruth

7. saxon

saxon Read Only Funster

European Health

:thumb:A few years ago, we holidayed in France Hubby got a dislocated shoulder (again). Got a taxi/ambulance to take him to the nearest hospital where they tried to put it back. Unable to do it in A&E so kept him in overnight. Well.........! Own room (en-suite), fabulous food, a view from the window to die for and all for nowt coz he carried his health card. Was discharged complete with medical charts, x-rays, etc and the most sophisticated body/arm sling you have never seen in UK. All because he carried his card. PEOPLE TAKE NOTE - IT'S WORTH GETTING ONE.:restmycase: