European gas bottle connect to external BBQ point (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Hi guys
We have refillable gas bottles, in case of running out of gas in European country's that feeling station are far between, Dose any one know if it is possible to connect European gas bottle to the BBQ external point to feed gas to the vans system (heating, fridge, cooker..)?

Your advice please. :Smile:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It depends on the bbq point. Some have a one way valve. If yours doesn't then with a local bottle and bottle mounted regulator you should be okay. Safety precautions etc presumed.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi guys
We have refillable gas bottles, in case of running out of gas in European country's that feeling station are far between, Dose any one know if it is possible to connect European gas bottle to the BBQ external point to feed gas to the vans system (heating, fridge, cooker..)?

Yes some people use the barbecue point to feed gas . Are your bottles gas low as they sell connectors that go from the bottleinto the filler point of your system please note they do not refill your bottles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thanks guys.

Our refillable are Alugas.
How can we check if the BBQ point is two-ways?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Since an external barbecue point will be fitted 'downstream' from the fixed bulkhead regulator, you would need to connect a free-standing bottle with a regulator on it. Otherwise you would be feeding bottle pressure direct to the internal appliances (woosh at least, if not bang).
I suggest the Gaslow foreign bottle adapter hose, as listed by Brisey, is a better solution. This connects into the LPG filler point so that the free-standing bottle pressure is then regulated by the fixed regulator.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
[HI][/HI]
Hi guys
We have refillable gas bottles, in case of running out of gas in European country's that [HI]feeling[/HI] station are far between, Dose any one know if it is possible to connect European gas bottle to the BBQ external point to feed gas to the vans system (heating, fridge, cooker..)?

I know "Johnny Foreigner" can be quite tactile but never come across a FEELING STATION YET. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
However, assuming you meant FILLING station, our experience of France, Italy, Germany and Spain is that there are plenty of LPG stations, Spain which used to be very scarce has plenty now and more being installed all the time. Although they do use yet another connector but all the stations we have used have an adaptor to the French adaptor to lend out.
Although the Gaslow hose is a neat and fairly cheap solution which should work ok on AluGas, it does require the refillable to be completely empty so the gas from the outside bottle can pass through, so you will be left with no backup gas at all.
I would prefer the BBQ point really because if you go to places like Morocco or perhaps Greece which have a reputation for really dirty gas you can fit an inline fuel filter in the low pressure hose from the outside bottle to the BBQ point to reduce the contamination to the system. Especially your very expensive fixed regulator. In Morocco last year I was sweeping my fridge chimney weekly to keep the fridge working so I am at present fitting a BBQ point to use an external bottle there.
As for whether your BBQ point has a one way valve, just borrow a full bottle and regulator from a friend connect it to your BBQ hose, plug it in, turn off your fixed bottles and try it. If you can light the gas and it stays alight for at least 30 seconds to use the gas in the system then you are good to go. Just remember that you will have to buy or borrow a cylinder and regulator in every country you visit quite a pain, although if you are staying for a while on a site some will lend out a bottle and regulator providing you pay for the gas. But of course you will have to find an alternative to use the BBQ for cooking. :Doh:
Hope this helps.
Steve :thumb:
Must add: Only do this if you are confident and competent to fit and test flexible gas connections. And the filter should only be used in the LOW pressure hose and again tested for leaks.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
[HI][/HI]

I know "Johnny Foreigner" can be quite tactile but never come across a FEELING STATION YET. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
However, assuming you meant FILLING station, our experience of France, Italy, Germany and Spain is that there are plenty of LPG stations, Spain which used to be very scarce has plenty now and more being installed all the time. Although they do use yet another connector but all the stations we have used have an adaptor to the French adaptor to lend out.
Although the Gaslow hose is a neat and fairly cheap solution which should work ok on AluGas, it does require the refillable to be completely empty so the gas from the outside bottle can pass through, so you will be left with no backup gas at all.
I would prefer the BBQ point really because if you go to places like Morocco or perhaps Greece which have a reputation for really dirty gas you can fit an inline fuel filter in the low pressure hose from the outside bottle to the BBQ point to reduce the contamination to the system. Especially your very expensive fixed regulator. In Morocco last year I was sweeping my fridge chimney weekly to keep the fridge working so I am at present fitting a BBQ point to use an external bottle there.
As for whether your BBQ point has a one way valve, just borrow a full bottle and regulator from a friend connect it to your BBQ hose, plug it in, turn off your fixed bottles and try it. If you can light the gas and it stays alight for at least 30 seconds to use the gas in the system then you are good to go. Just remember that you will have to buy or borrow a cylinder and regulator in every country you visit quite a pain, although if you are staying for a while on a site some will lend out a bottle and regulator providing you pay for the gas. But of course you will have to find an alternative to use the BBQ for cooking. :Doh:
Hope this helps.
Steve :thumb:
Must add: Only do this if you are confident and competent to fit and test flexible gas connections. And the filter should only be used in the LOW pressure hose and again tested for leaks.

Why would you want to use a local/external cylinder if you hadn't run out of gas in your refillables anyway? Besides, with two refillables if you really feel the need to keep a backup just utilise the reserve cylinder hose setup once one refillable is emptied, that way you still have the second refillable as a backup. Seems a bit arse about face to me though, I'd only want to use an external cylinder as backup.

D.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Why would you want to use a local/external cylinder if you hadn't run out of gas in your refillables anyway? Besides, with two refillables if you really feel the need to keep a backup just utilise the reserve cylinder hose setup once one refillable is emptied, that way you still have the second refillable as a backup. Seems a bit arse about face to me though, I'd only want to use an external cylinder as backup.D.

Well, if you were in Morocco with gas freely available everywhere at around four euros for an 11kg bottle it seems odd not to use it rather than the LPG at about 18 euros or your full calor bottle at very much more. But as I said if the quality is suspect I t is perhaps preferable not to put it through your hopefully clean refillables and regulator.
Mainstream Europe is reasonably well served with LPG stations so I answered the OP's question for the circumstances he may need to use an external backup. Also I have my filler point mounted in my gas locker as the most convenient place to fit it. So the Gaslow hose would require me to leave my gas locker open.
For me, the BBQ point is the better solution for connecting an external gas bottle because the places without LPG also tend to have suspect gas so I can use an inline replaceable filter.
Go with the solution which is best for your circumstances at the time within your personal capabilities and understanding.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back