European Breakdown Cover- Over 8m And 3.5t (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I insure via the CCC. Have done for years. The add on of Recovery By the RAC is worth every penny. They recovered a 7 + tonne Pusher R-V from Dover to the repairer in the Midlands, when a valve bent. And From Nr St Albans to Hampshire when the gear box failed.. They have arranged for a Welder to repair a Cracked Tow Bracket. Found me someone to investigate the loss of power In Spain, (had it failed they where ready to Uplift from La Manga to the UK) Low loadered me off the M25 when Both rear Tyres where wrecked by debris in the road!. They are courteous, and keep checking back to see if all is going to plan. I cannot fault them (yet).

As Far as I am aware you can (for cost) extend the cover to 180days (from the standard 90)

You have to be a CCC member though.

Pete

Comfort also use RAC Commercial and I can say they are excellent as you have found. We have had call to use them in Italy, Spain and the UK.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
They must have changed their terms since I last looked at it about 2 years ago. I recall there were size restrictions at that time.
Ezee

Not strictly true, there are certain conditions on height and weight, but they do not apply to motor homes. See the extract from their terms below.

Quote:
3 The vehicle can not go to design and furnishings for the carriage of persons not more than 9 seats (including
of the space for the driver) and
- A total width of 2.55 m,
- A total length of 10 m,
- A height of 3 metres and
- A total permissible weight of 3.5 tons do not exceed.
The same goes for the accompanying trailer. All dimensions are including cargo. The trailer may have no more than one axle. Axles with a distance of less than 1 metre apart, are considered an axle.
4. In addition, motorhomes are insured up to
- A height of 3.20 m, including cargo and
- A maximum total weight of 7.5 tonnes

Deleted User
Not strictly true, there are certain conditions on height and weight, but they do not apply to motor homes. See the extract from their terms below.

Quote:
3 The vehicle can not go to design and furnishings for the carriage of persons not more than 9 seats (including
of the space for the driver) and
- A total width of 2.55 m,
- A total length of 10 m,
- A height of 3 metres and
- A total permissible weight of 3.5 tons do not exceed.
The same goes for the accompanying trailer. All dimensions are including cargo. The trailer may have no more than one axle. Axles with a distance of less than 1 metre apart, are considered an axle.
4. In addition, motorhomes are insured up to
- A height of 3.20 m, including cargo and
- A maximum total weight of 7.5 tonnes

I think the highlighted clause 4 is still a size restriction, albeit increased for motorhomes.

kenvan

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
As I said in my earlier post, I advise you all to check your policy. I have just re-read mine and Comfort insurance have a £500 recovery fee limit. They use RAC Europe and the recovery firms are sub contractors.

ken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I can't believe how many times this subject comes up on the forum. We must be getting ready for a gassing or A frame discussion any time now..BUSBY:):):):):)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I can't believe how many times this subject comes up on the forum. We must be getting ready for a gassing or A frame discussion any time now..BUSBY:):):):):)

I think the reason it comes up so often is because it's a bloody mine field out there when it comes to breakdown cover and think a lot of people think they are covered but I fact are not. So many different sizes, weights etc and the main thing not reading the small print.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Hi, I have Fiat camper assit, will they fix any problems or do I reqire seperate insurance cover

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back