European Breakdown Cover- Over 8m And 3.5t

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by simplyjimbo, Jun 5, 2015.

1. simplyjimbo

simplyjimbo Funster

Can anyone advise of a suitable company to contact for European breakdown cover that will cover larger motorhomes. Tag axle Swift @8.5m.
    A lot of companies seem to restrict length and weight. We are going to France for a month in July, so short term cover would be acceptable too.
    Many thanks

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Speak to your insurers to see if they can provide it for you.

We're with CaravanGuard and UK and EU breakdown cover is part of their package. Never had to use it but they tell me they use HGV recovery services instead of AA/RAC type organisations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Would second speaking to your insurance company.

We're with Motorhome Facts insurance (underwritten by Aviva) which includes UK and European breakdown cover. We're not quite as big as you at 7.3m and 4.5 tonne. No problem getting recovered - they use RAC Commercial for recovery.

Denise

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we are with RAC, they have restrictions on weight, but not if you are members of C + CC, so we joined and the discounted rate isn't too bad either, but cant actually recall how much we pay, but the RAC cover is also personal so our cars and either of us in any other car (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

hya we are with saga they cover any size and weight.....we are 9 meters with bikes and 6 tons and were recovered last year in 30 min fromValencia area and van returned to England no problems

• Like Like x 1
  6. simplyjimbo

simplyjimbo Funster

Many thanks for your advice so far everyone. I will check my insurance company later today.

7. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Also if you are Nationwide Building Society customers get a Flex Plus account, we have and you get Breakdown cover for Europe, we are 6 tonnes and 8 metres long, you get 31 days European cover, but can extend it. We have been with RAC arrivals for years until we just changed our MH. As it is over 11 years old we are not covered for Europe. Flex plus account does cost £10 per month but you also get health insurance plus other benefits too.

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Flex plus does look good.. Anyone not comfy with Adac could do worse than look at that nationwide service.

9. simplyjimbo

simplyjimbo Funster

Many thanks for all the advice.
    Have upgraded my MHF Policy to Platinum, and now covered.

10. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Did someone has been unfortunate to use the Nationwide Flexplus Breakdown insurance, Specially in Europe? How was the expiriance with them?
    We have 8m long, 4.5 ton MH.

11. busby

busby Funster

ADAC every time. 89 euros,,any size of vehicle in all of Europe...No time limits for travel...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Larby

Larby Funster

I'm with Comfort, when they offered breakdown cover I pointed out MH was over 3.5, helpful girl "replied "if we insure it, we cover it"

13. Cavs

Cavs Funster

We've just had occasion to use European breakdown cover in France. We're 8.5 m, 5.5 tonnes, insured with Comfort with breakdown cover supplied by the RAC. Length and weight not an issue and both accept that we're covered. However, while that is true in strict terms, the practical application of it was limited.

We broke down with a failure of the air springs on the RNS suspension. The vehicle was drivable, but not far, and a proper recovery would require a complete lift. The RAC call centre was responsive throughout but the practical help delivered was of only limited use. The first breakdown response they sent was a flat bed recovery truck that was smaller than our wagon. Oh that's all right says the call centre, he'll tow you to the garage. "No he won't!" says I. We drove to the garage following the recovery vehicle.

The garage was a rather back street affair where I saw no evidence of a hoist capable of lifting our van, and they were obviously unfamiliar with air suspension and motorhomes. Getting the parts required to effect a repair was going to take four weeks and we were quoted €3,100 to supply and fit new air springs, which is not covered by the breakdown insurance. We adjourned to a nearby campsite and RAC provided a hire car.

Exploring other options, RAC agreed to repatriate the vehicle rather than wait for parts. However, this in itself would take two to three weeks, and we could not travel with the van. "Oh, and there is a cover limit of £2,500, and you've already spent some of that on the recovery, taxis and the hire car" I was told.

I had no idea there was a cover limit! Repatriation was going to cost over £3,000 for a low loader, so we were looking at about £1,000 just to get it back to the UK.

In the end, I repaired the holes in the two air springs using nuts, bolts, washers and rubberised superglue (which I'd never seen before but found in a BricoMarché and bought some more to bring home - great stuff) and drove the vehicle home.

I've just ordered the replacement parts, which are going to cost £270 delivered to my home in about two weeks.

Lessons?
    You might not be covered for what you think you are - I certainly wasn't.
    You need to be assertive with breakdown services and garages to get much attention at all.
    French garages seek to profiteer from British motorists brought to them after a breakdown. (Happened to us once before, years ago, when the garage tried to replace an engine when all that was required was a cam belt.)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cavs

Cavs Funster

Busby,
    Is this the German auto club and is there a British 'branch' or website, or would we have to do it all in German!:eek:

15. nomad

nomad Funster

For ADAC ring 0049 221 472747 and ask for somebody who speaks English.
    Colin

• Like Like x 2
  16. nomadic

nomadic Funster

All doc's are in German, however, when you phone them, ask if you can have the conversation in English, they will transfer you to an English speaker.

Search ADAC on here, you will find at least one translation from German to English of the T/C's.

Site is www.adac.de

The Premier Plus contract is more with out size and weight restrictions. The membership covers any vehicle you are driving/own.

• Like Like x 2
  17. beachmat

beachmat Funster

The coolant hose split on our nearly new A Class, 4.25T(Fiat) 7M long, on the A6 Autoroute near Macon, a few weeks ago. Once we had been carried off the Autoroute, which cost 450 Euros on a Sunday. Nationwide Flexplus Breakdown, provided by Britannia, did everything very well. Arranged transport for us and van to main dealer, put us up in a hotel while the part arrived, provided taxis etc. Could not fault them, not a penny out of pocket. We could have used Fiat's Camper assist as it was a new vehicle, but it would not have been any better. And the 450 Euros was reimbursed as soon as we claimed. The only real hassle was getting off the Autoroute as they sent the wrong size transporter, but that wasn't anything to do with Nationwide, that was down to the Autoroute company.

18. EzeeRider

EzeeRider Read Only Funster

They must have changed their terms since I last looked at it about 2 years ago. I recall there were size restrictions at that time.
    Ezee

19. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

As already said, beware of RAC Arrivals, as in Europe, their limit is £2500. Further on the one occasion when we called them for a puncture, here in the UK, they subbed it out, to a local company and the man turned up without a torque wrench, 644nm required. His idea of a torque wrench was a length of pipe and a lump hammer. Fortunately, I carry one, but that was not the point. Many letters ensued before I received satisfaction.

20. Charlie

Charlie Funster

LV for us... Covers all vehicles Including motorhomes of any size. Gives us full European cover and will recover the vehicles anywhere all the way home if needed. It gives FULL cover for every aspect that can be covered with breakdown insurance. It provides a courtesy car as well.

I believe the CC offer a cover that will give a MH to cover the rest of a holiday but I've not looked into that.

The cover that comes with bank accounts is basic. They will only usually take a broken down vehicle 25 miles or so. But its usually free or cheap and you only get what you pay for.