european breakdown cover for 19yr old MH (1 Viewer)

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
Rang green flag (who we have cover with currently( to check breakdown cover for european travel and was surprised when they said they don't cover vehicles over 15 years old, even if ours only has 30k miles on the clock!

It looks like we need new cover. I've done a bit of googling and the one that looks ok is Driver Guardian. Has anyone had any experience with them, or have a better suggestion? :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Rang green flag (who we have cover with currently( to check breakdown cover for european travel and was surprised when they said they don't cover vehicles over 15 years old, even if ours only has 30k miles on the clock!

It looks like we need new cover. I've done a bit of googling and the one that looks ok is Driver Guardian. Has anyone had any experience with them, or have a better suggestion? :)

Open a Flex account with Nationwide and it includes breakdown cover for all your vehicles throughout the EU (y) The account incurs a fee of £10/month but other benefits are included.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Open a Flex account with Nationwide and it includes breakdown cover for all your vehicles throughout the EU (y) The account incurs a fee of £10/month but other benefits are included.

This looks like a good deal. To get the breakdown cover in Europe for our car would cost more than £10 a month. Had a read through the policy and can't find out if there's a time restriction in Europe, for the travel insurance it's 31days per trip but what about the breakdown? Do you know what it is please.

Would be great for the M/h but that's over their 8 meter restriction.

Thanks Shawn.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
This looks like a good deal. To get the breakdown cover in Europe for our car would cost more than £10 a month. Had a read through the policy and can't find out if there's a time restriction in Europe, for the travel insurance it's 31days per trip but what about the breakdown? Do you know what it is please.

Would be great for the M/h but that's over their 8 meter restriction.

Thanks Shawn.

The policy states that the trip should be pre-booked, starting and ending in UK and should not exceed 180 days.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We, or should I say my brother @Leftlegger has the NW flexi cover .
Last year following him I noticed no break lights.
We got to site OK and soon discovered it was BL switch .(both ex AA )so called breakdown long story short.they would only put van on truck and take it to garage ,and they supply ,and fit unit.(cost in €2-300) (5mins to get it out of its plugin) would not organize delivery of part for us to fit
Site owner had words ,heated in Spanish ,but found out where parts could be found .we went down in my camper picked em up and fitted ourselves.
So do check all small print ,and breakdown HQ in the UK totally useless .

Myself I have ADAC ,but never had to use them .

OP
OP
Tom Lurk

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
We, or should I say my brother @Leftlegger has the NW flexi cover .
Last year following him I noticed no break lights.
We got to site OK and soon discovered it was BL switch .(both ex AA )so called breakdown long story short.they would only put van on truck and take it to garage ,and they supply ,and fit unit.(cost in €2-300) (5mins to get it out of its plugin) would not organize delivery of part for us to fit
Site owner had words ,heated in Spanish ,but found out where parts could be found .we went down in my camper picked em up and fitted ourselves.
So do check all small print ,and breakdown HQ in the UK totally useless .

Myself I have ADAC ,but never had to use them .

Having done some more googling there is definitely a school of thought that you shouldn't waste money on breakdown cover for the older vehicle exactly for these reasons, there are some proper horror stories out there. as i said our elddis has only done 30k mile, and will have had full service and MOT before leaving. My only concern would be if we did have a breakdown and needed roadside recovery how easy would that be to sort. We'll have two kids with us so the idea of being stuck on the side of a busy road for any length of time is not attractive either.

OP
OP
Tom Lurk

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
thanks for that, definitely going with ADAC. seems like the sensible thing to do. read way more good than bad about them.

Ed0812

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
We use ADAC and used them for a breakdown in France. Slight difficulty between German and French language but we're very helpful.
They have no vehicle age limit but limit the EU cover period to 180 days.
Other option to consider is SAGA if you are old enough!

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm with SAGA and I haven't used them with the 'new' (29 year old) van but used them a few times with the 'old' one. I pay £98 a year for full european cover and consider it worthwhile. Once the old van broke down in the south of England and I got low loaded right back to the Island to my local garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back