Europe ! ;-/

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gianolio, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Gianolio

Gianolio Read Only Funster

About to travel through Europe - France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and into Italy.

Crapping myself for first time driving on the right in a MH.

Should I be???

:Sad::Eek!::Eeek:

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It will become second nature, and you may even prefer it.

The biggest test will be one-way systems in cities - everyone always gets a moment when they go blank, and can't remember which side it what when they get to a two way junction! lol!

Just collect yourself and keep to the left- no right! - no left - no right! :Rofl1::Rofl1:

You will be fine!:thumb:

3. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Seems like your first treck is a long one,just relax we all make small mistakes ,and ,when approaching junctions or roundabouts my wife kept reminding me with her favorite saying .Keep right Keep right .and it does help .have a great time and keep safe.:thumb:

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

It's easy and becomes second nature.. I have just booked our ferry for Thursday..
    If you are going via Calais you go straight out onto a motorway so gives you time to adjust, just let all the trucks get out of the way as they are always in a rush to get going..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvIRt72iUUc"]Motorhome guide 3 - Arriving at Calais - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry about crap audio.. :cry:

• Like Like x 3
  5. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

Europe

You'll be fine. In lots of ways it's easier being able to look out of your right hand window and see the kerb/edge of the road.

6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

You are going to be driving a very long way! You will find that it is nowhere near as scary as you expect it to be and after a short while it comes naturally. Make sure that your passenger is briefed to be aware of the need to advise you when joining a road coming from your left as you will have a restricted view to the left, rear side of the van. After all that distance you will be well used to it.

You'll probably find their road systems better than ours and, apart from big cities usually less busy. You'll see plenty of open road.

It is only natural to be anxious for the first time but I'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as you imagine.

Wyn

7. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Having just driven a LHD car, in France, I found getting used to the car the bigger problem, not driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Assuming you have had a chance to get familiar with your 'van, you shouldn't find it too difficult. One advantage, with a MH over cars, is the height of the driving position for seeing ahead and your partners face is always a good indicator for if it's safe to overtake. Enjoy your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

No No No......it is so simple.....It's just the same as driving on the left

9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

The biggest danger is pulling out of side turnings/petrol stations etc. It's all too easy to pull into your usual position on the road, i.e., the left hand side......WRONG!

What I used to do with fellow motorcyclists I used to lead on European tours was to give them a DYMO label with KEEP RIGHT on it, and stick it on their speedo.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just wait until you get to Italy.....but you'll be used to it by then :Laughing:

Watch out at some French rural roundabouts and junctions....you give way to traffic joining the roundabout and to turn left onto (rural) sideroads you turn right onto a 'loop'...same thing as a UK cycle path junction...then stop before crossing both lanes.
    The above doesn't apply all situations so you need to look for signs.

Make and place a card on your dash stating KEEP RIGHT.

Nothing worse after a night stop than unwittingly turning onto the wrong side of a deserted road.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  11. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Just take it easy, and you'll be fine,most important enjoy your travels:thumb:

12. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Nah. You barely even notice. It is much harder as a pedestrian than as a driver to remember. The only times you'll forget is when there isn't anyone about to remind you which side to drive on after pulling out of a petrol station. Of course, when that happens, there's nobody about to hit, either.

However, it is well worth getting yourself a decent wide angle mirror on your near side before you go. A tiny stick-on one won't cut the mustard. Merging seems to get you into a massive blind spot. I get this in the UK, though, rather than Europe, as it is LHD anyway.

13. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Got a sat nav? Mine always reminds me as soon as I start the engine...

Catherine

14. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Europe

I agree with Wynn and Jean. The only thing that threw me, first time over there, was the traffic light system. No amber and you can drive on if the lights are flashing - carefully! Oh and one other tip; wait until you get over there before you drive on the right.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you have to drive on the right side in the uk .
    if not it would be the wrong side .ha ha .
    always drive on the rightside . be it left or right .

16. campa cola

campa cola Funster

that's why I fitted 3 cameras & have 2 continuous screens on fixed to the map holder:

1. continuous complete coverage of the rear - basically a wide angle rear view mirror with IR
    2. switchable coverage of the left hand pillar blind spot
    3. switchable coverage of the rear left hand area not covered by the above

the wide angle mirrors (long stalk) on my Peugeot look like they should do the job but they don't. If you have that type of van with the small wide angle mirrors I would recommend getting a bigger wide angle mirror. They don't cover pulling out into traffic on a right hand turn from a side road onto a main road and sometimes its impossible to get the right angle to see properly on the smaller side roads. That's where the cameras come in - they are the cheap reversing type that can be bought as a set off ebay. no problem with continuous running. My van has a massive blind spot in those conditions due to the size of the Peugeot pillar and location of the hab window.

Also get the safety sticker which reminds you which side to take islands and is stuck on the windscreen http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Driverigh...cessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item3ccf791f94n
    :thumb:

also watch out for 'live' pedestrian crossings by which I mean traffic can turn right even though pedestrians have right of way. Sometimes the idiots cross against a pedestrian red light because they can or they have not bothered to check if their pedestrian light is green & just assume you will stop or assume its their right of way. Mixing crossing pedestrians with right turning traffic is idiotic IMHO and no doubt the cause of many accidents in the countries that practice it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  17. Larby

Larby Funster

Driving on the right? Doddle.
    Remembering to drive on the right? Not so easy. As already stated, THINK before emerging.
    Went to pull out of lay-by to turn around, looked right, eased out, BEEEEEEP,
    nearly lost front of car as lorry came from left !
    That was in 1994. Still haunts me today,:Eeek: but I still have to think when crossing an urban dual-carriageway with no lights.
    First they come from left, then after halfway they come from right as I turn left into right lane ! !
    If in doubt, DON'T! pause and think first.:thumb:

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No.

19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

as said you do quickly get used to it but i find the danger points are the short stops ,when you stop for a quick coissant and pull away again although it may be me thinking about the cake rather than the road

20. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We were also very worried the first time we did it, now we can't wait to get back over there.
    Tez did pull out of side junctions twice on the wrong side, lucky no one was coming the other way!
    The thing that got us was the priority to the right in some , not all, big cities, that threw us but once aware of it we were ok.
    After getting used to priority to the left mostly on roundabouts that is a weird situation..
    Roads out of the cities though are much better and a pleasure to drive.