mikesiggers

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are going to France,Spain and Portugal next year,first time abroad in our Motorhome based on the new shape Fiat Ducato.Any advice please on Headlight convertors

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mike,
We go to Europe every year on motorbikes (next year in a motorhome - for the first time) and buy 'beam benders' in Halfrauds for about 9 quid for a pair.
Dunno if they work but, like so many things in life, it's not so much the result that's important - it's the showing of intent.
Norrie

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Try this site not cheap but effective it provides plastic protective covers and beam benders Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There a bit scary to put on when you first have a go but if you do a search on the posts on this site there are loads of threads on them. Its no big deal

Jim
:Smile:

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Join France Passion

France Passion is an organisation that gives you the addresses of hundreds of farmers that let campers spend the night free. The farmers sell their local produce and although there is no obligation to buy, there is masses of temptation.
Some places give you water, but its a great compromise between wild camping and a campsite. Book cost about 20 quid.
you can find them here
Link Removed
:Smile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We are going to France,Spain and Portugal next year,first time abroad in our Motorhome based on the new shape Fiat Ducato.Any advice please on Headlight convertors

You used to be able to buy a kit with black tape and a sharp knife for under a tenner from Halfords which we used successfully when we first went to France. Now as our MH is LHD we use black duct tape cut to shape. It's easy to do and it passes the UK MOT every year. Just needs to be replaced every 6 months and only takes ten minutes to put on, slightly messy to take off after more than a month. Might need to be careful what tape you use if headlights aren't made of glass. Ours are glass.

Link Removed

I prefer the tape idea as it shows intent.

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ok! Going to be shot down in flames, travel in the summer so never bother with headlight deflectors and looking around reckon I am in the majority.
I have a diagram printed from one of the fiat forums showing the masking positions ( if I can find the site will post) and always carry some insulating tape just in case I need to motor in the dark.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For years I never bothered but was warned things were getting tighter in France ( by my German mates ! )
But I just use a bit of black electrical tape and cut it to shape
To suss out where to put the tape, cut a bit of cardboard out roughly triangle shaped, abour 2 inches long and an inch high at the 'thick end'
Park facing about 15 feet away from a wall.. put the lights on in dip and move the bit of cardboard about until it blocks off the part of the beam that is to the left of the vehicle
Note where it is and stick your black tape over it

I even use that method to get right dipping lights through the UK MOT ( but obviously tother way round ! ) :Smile:

ScooterSam82

Free Member
May 24, 2008
Nottingham, Uk.
Funster No
MH
Broomstick
Exp
i was going to say duck tape too, as it works a treat. ::bigsmile:
me and my old boyfriend used that all the time while over in europe in 2005,06 & 07.

we never got told off for it, and it was alot cheaper than buying those other things. lol

it also made our van look like it had eyes, which was quite cool. :Smile:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
This subject has come up before. I have never changed my head lights since buying my LHD MH. I put on the blenders for the MOT. and take them off after. As I spend 9 months on the road yearly I see no point on buying RHD head lights. Of course, I never drive after dusk in the UK.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Eurolites

I think I've seen these mentioned somewhere before but I thought it might be useful for someone. Might buy a couple of sets for uk use.

Link Removed

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Can someone just answer this guys post He wants ADVICE and all he is getting is about beam benders. !!!!!!!!!!what about Aires, ACSI sites, Wild (freedom) camping etc etc.Come on guys/gals we can do better!!:thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Apologies 100 fold me and my big mouth:Doh:
should have read the post. HE DID want advice on behttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/doh.gifam benders sorry again (but as it is the first time perhaps we can give him all sorts of advice.!:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Geoff, it is good to know I am not the only person on here who sometimes suffers from a 'plank' attack!

General advise would be not to worry about anything at all, if possible avoid toll roads, always try really hard to speak a couple of words of the local lingo ( please, thank you, hello, good afternoon, good day etc etc always go down well :Smile: )
Take all your documents with you but photocopy them and leave the photocopies at home ( a lot of places will not accept a photocopy or anything but if you DO lose the original you can at least contact the issuer with ALL the info :Smile: )

What else..

One that I was never told until I was chucked out of a swimming pool.. In France you MUST wear speedo type swimming gear.. Shorts type are illigal for some reason !
In Italy a swimming hat must be worn ( noooo ! Only when IN a swimming pool ! :winky: )

Spain can be tricky. Whilst an awful lot of folk have nary a problem at all, it is worth mentioning that ANY screen in the front of a vehicle except one that is a direct replacement for a rear view mirror is illigal. That includes satnavs.
As I said though, a lot of folk have never had an issue with it so it would seem to be up to the plod who has tugged you ( does he need lunch money perhaps ! LOL )

But going back to the beginning

Relax, enjoy, and do not worry !

The folk all over Europe are pretty good and bottom line is they appreciate you are visiting their country and would ( in most cases ) like you to return, so are generally helpful and kind to us brits !

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
As it's the new shape fiat don't go up the Alps or Pyrenees backwards::bigsmile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Apologies 100 fold me and my big mouth:Doh:
should have read the post. HE DID want advice on behttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/doh.gifam benders sorry again (but as it is the first time perhaps we can give him all sorts of advice.!:Doh:

My advice is don't drink whatever you're drinking :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back