Euro tunnel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jemhorn, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Hi, I'm crossing late 11pm into Calais after a 6 hours drive from Devon. We're then heading into Belgium then down through Germany. Any suggestions on where to stay after the trip through the tunnel, just need somewhere to get my head down for a few hours. thanks

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

When I've done similar in the past, when arriving in the middle of the night (it will be getting on for 1AM local time. I've just stopped for a few hours in one of the aires on the motorway. A small risk but even the tea leaves will have gone to bed by then, and the aires are usually quite busy.

3. B-well

B-well Funster

Stop 24 at Jnc 11 M20, first x2 hrs free but £20 after that. Tesco at cheriton directly opposite tunnel, see duty manager so he can alert security all is okay.
    Or pop down to Hythe park along military road beside canal, sainbury supermarket nearby with pubs and shops. 7 min drive to tunnel.:thumb:

4. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

take first exit on way out of tunnel," cite europe " and follow signs for motorhome parking .

• Like Like x 3
  5. Phill D

Phill D

citie europe dedicated motorhome parking near police station. leave terminal, follow sign to citie europe ( you will go 1 junction on motorway ) then follow sign with motorhome on it.

6. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

There are lots of good motorway parking spots enroute so you should be fine.

People go on about thieves - and I'm sure they're out there - but if you park in a well lit area next to some other occupied vehicles you should be fine.

I sometimes leave a light on in the lounge area to make it look like we're still up, and then pull the curtain on between the lounge and the back bedroom. I only do that when I'm in a paranoid state of mind though :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  7. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

We stayed at Gravelines before heading to Belgium last year. It was full but we parked in the car park just before it with several other motorhomers with no problems. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Bergues, pas de Calais*

A review I picked up,(see below) but all true as tried it on our way to luxembourg via Belgium 2 weeks ago. Very large space next to town walls. Town 5 mins walk max with lots of boulangeries or on way out of town leclerc and McDonald's . Takes 30-40 mins from tunnel max, mainly on autoroute. Will be making it our regular and using again in 2 weeks

"Travelling in a northerly direction on the D916, turn right at the turn off for the first gate in the city wall and into Rue Maurine Cornette. Then immediately bear right onto an unmade road alongside the sports field. Follow the 200m pot-holed track to the parking area which is a disused clay soccer pitch complete with goal posts. At the turn off on the D916 you will pass a 3500kg limit sign and a Rappel 3500kg sign. This weight limit is clearly intended for those entering through the wall gate, which you will not, but never the less, you are within a 3500kg limit area. The surface is firm and reasonably level though it does get mucky after rain. There is a concrete hardstanding at the far end which accommodates 15 MHs. NB - there are no facilities at all - just parking. Monsieur le Gendarme does a drive-by most evenings. An ideal first/last night stop and big enough to guarantee you a slot even if you arrive late."

We arrived about 11 pm with 5 MH already there, woke up in morning to discover 3 more, which we didn't hear as spread out in far edges of this large area.
    Rear of Le Stade Jean Andries
    Rue Maurine Cornette
    Nord Pas-de-Calais
    Bergues
    Nord-Pas de Calais
    59 380
    *GPS Co-ordinates: 50.965807591571334 *2.435716062773281

9. orridge

orridge Funster

Another vote for Cite De Europe, we stayed at the Calais harbour Aire just before Easter and its very noisy with the ferrys coming and going all night.

10. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

cite Europe as said, never a space problem never had any problems and very easy to find. just a few mins from tunnel.if you need to pick provisions or anything up,its all there when you wake up we will use it mid may when we go over on late ferry:thumb:

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't go there, it's where I usually stop and I don't want you waking me up in the early hours.:Laughing:

Seriously though it is a good place, I have seen over 50 vans there and there was still room for more. Nice walks through the Napoleonic defences in the woods, and a nice little town. Be aware it has some waste bins but no other facilities, no water or dumping.

12. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We stayed at big car park at Wally Beaucamp D901

50°24'38.87"N
    1°43'29.79"E
    On the way to the train 45 miles away. nice and quiet and nobody worried us. :thumb:

13. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Sorry to hijack this slightly but it may also help the OP.

Where is the aire at Cité Europe ???

I looked for it for ages last Saturday, followed the signs which just disappear after a while and just couldn't find it:Sad:

Basically exited the tunnel in the usual way, past the expensive service station and then followed the Cité Europe signs, this takes you off after around 1km and left at the round about, down that road for about 1km where you arrive at a small round about and it's signed for the Aire to the left (3rd exit), take that and then the signs just disappeared…… I went round 3 times and:Doh: logic suggested to me that the Aire was on the left just after the last round about as you can see it from the Pet check in area but we went up that road and nothing. I gave up as it was late but I'd love to know how you access it.

14. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

From memory, when you exit the tunnel stay in the right hand lane, after a few hundred yards turn right into Boulevard de l'Europe (this is before the service station).
    When the reach the roundabout take the second exit (this is still Boulevard de l'Europe )
    You will soon approach Cite de Europe, at the roundabout take the third exit, onto Boulevard du Kent
    Parking area is a few hundred yards on the left. :thumb:

15. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

it is not a designated aire but allocated parking next to the coach parking area at the shopping mall . best bet is to look on google earth and look at the car park next to the [police station] that borders the eurotunnel passenger area to familiarise yourself with its wherabouts .

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Plus another one for Bergues, good supermarket on the way back to the motorway for the morning.

18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I believe the height barrier has been removed since I was there Chris .. it's not showing on street view

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Thanks guys, looks like I drove past it then:Doh: it was after a long drive and was 1am in the morning though…..