Euro tunnel (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi, I'm crossing late 11pm into Calais after a 6 hours drive from Devon. We're then heading into Belgium then down through Germany. Any suggestions on where to stay after the trip through the tunnel, just need somewhere to get my head down for a few hours. thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I've done similar in the past, when arriving in the middle of the night (it will be getting on for 1AM local time. I've just stopped for a few hours in one of the aires on the motorway. A small risk but even the tea leaves will have gone to bed by then, and the aires are usually quite busy.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Stop 24 at Jnc 11 M20, first x2 hrs free but £20 after that. Tesco at cheriton directly opposite tunnel, see duty manager so he can alert security all is okay.
Or pop down to Hythe park along military road beside canal, sainbury supermarket nearby with pubs and shops. 7 min drive to tunnel.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
take first exit on way out of tunnel," cite europe " and follow signs for motorhome parking .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
citie europe dedicated motorhome parking near police station. leave terminal, follow sign to citie europe ( you will go 1 junction on motorway ) then follow sign with motorhome on it.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
There are lots of good motorway parking spots enroute so you should be fine.

People go on about thieves - and I'm sure they're out there - but if you park in a well lit area next to some other occupied vehicles you should be fine.

I sometimes leave a light on in the lounge area to make it look like we're still up, and then pull the curtain on between the lounge and the back bedroom. I only do that when I'm in a paranoid state of mind though :Smile:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We stayed at Gravelines before heading to Belgium last year. It was full but we parked in the car park just before it with several other motorhomers with no problems. ::bigsmile:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Bergues, pas de Calais*

A review I picked up,(see below) but all true as tried it on our way to luxembourg via Belgium 2 weeks ago. Very large space next to town walls. Town 5 mins walk max with lots of boulangeries or on way out of town leclerc and McDonald's . Takes 30-40 mins from tunnel max, mainly on autoroute. Will be making it our regular and using again in 2 weeks

"Travelling in a northerly direction on the D916, turn right at the turn off for the first gate in the city wall and into Rue Maurine Cornette. Then immediately bear right onto an unmade road alongside the sports field. Follow the 200m pot-holed track to the parking area which is a disused clay soccer pitch complete with goal posts. At the turn off on the D916 you will pass a 3500kg limit sign and a Rappel 3500kg sign. This weight limit is clearly intended for those entering through the wall gate, which you will not, but never the less, you are within a 3500kg limit area. The surface is firm and reasonably level though it does get mucky after rain. There is a concrete hardstanding at the far end which accommodates 15 MHs. NB - there are no facilities at all - just parking. Monsieur le Gendarme does a drive-by most evenings. An ideal first/last night stop and big enough to guarantee you a slot even if you arrive late."

We arrived about 11 pm with 5 MH already there, woke up in morning to discover 3 more, which we didn't hear as spread out in far edges of this large area.
Rear of Le Stade Jean Andries
Rue Maurine Cornette
Nord Pas-de-Calais
Bergues
Nord-Pas de Calais
59 380
*GPS Co-ordinates: 50.965807591571334 *2.435716062773281

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Cite De Europe, we stayed at the Calais harbour Aire just before Easter and its very noisy with the ferrys coming and going all night.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
cite Europe as said, never a space problem never had any problems and very easy to find. just a few mins from tunnel.if you need to pick provisions or anything up,its all there when you wake up we will use it mid may when we go over on late ferry:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bergues, pas de Calais*

A review I picked up,(see below) but all true as tried it on our way to luxembourg via Belgium 2 weeks ago. Very large space next to town walls. Town 5 mins walk max with lots of boulangeries or on way out of town leclerc and McDonald's . Takes 30-40 mins from tunnel max, mainly on autoroute. Will be making it our regular and using again in 2 weeks

"Travelling in a northerly direction on the D916, turn right at the turn off for the first gate in the city wall and into Rue Maurine Cornette. Then immediately bear right onto an unmade road alongside the sports field. Follow the 200m pot-holed track to the parking area which is a disused clay soccer pitch complete with goal posts. At the turn off on the D916 you will pass a 3500kg limit sign and a Rappel 3500kg sign. This weight limit is clearly intended for those entering through the wall gate, which you will not, but never the less, you are within a 3500kg limit area. The surface is firm and reasonably level though it does get mucky after rain. There is a concrete hardstanding at the far end which accommodates 15 MHs. NB - there are no facilities at all - just parking. Monsieur le Gendarme does a drive-by most evenings. An ideal first/last night stop and big enough to guarantee you a slot even if you arrive late."

We arrived about 11 pm with 5 MH already there, woke up in morning to discover 3 more, which we didn't hear as spread out in far edges of this large area.
Rear of Le Stade Jean Andries
Rue Maurine Cornette
Nord Pas-de-Calais
Bergues
Nord-Pas de Calais
59 380
*GPS Co-ordinates: 50.965807591571334 *2.435716062773281

Don't go there, it's where I usually stop and I don't want you waking me up in the early hours.:roflmto:

Seriously though it is a good place, I have seen over 50 vans there and there was still room for more. Nice walks through the Napoleonic defences in the woods, and a nice little town. Be aware it has some waste bins but no other facilities, no water or dumping.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We stayed at big car park at Wally Beaucamp D901

50°24'38.87"N
1°43'29.79"E
On the way to the train 45 miles away. nice and quiet and nobody worried us. :thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to hijack this slightly but it may also help the OP.

Where is the aire at Cité Europe ???

I looked for it for ages last Saturday, followed the signs which just disappear after a while and just couldn't find it:Sad:

Basically exited the tunnel in the usual way, past the expensive service station and then followed the Cité Europe signs, this takes you off after around 1km and left at the round about, down that road for about 1km where you arrive at a small round about and it's signed for the Aire to the left (3rd exit), take that and then the signs just disappeared…… I went round 3 times and:Doh: logic suggested to me that the Aire was on the left just after the last round about as you can see it from the Pet check in area but we went up that road and nothing. I gave up as it was late but I'd love to know how you access it.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
From memory, when you exit the tunnel stay in the right hand lane, after a few hundred yards turn right into Boulevard de l'Europe (this is before the service station).
When the reach the roundabout take the second exit (this is still Boulevard de l'Europe )
You will soon approach Cite de Europe, at the roundabout take the third exit, onto Boulevard du Kent
Parking area is a few hundred yards on the left. :thumb:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
it is not a designated aire but allocated parking next to the coach parking area at the shopping mall . best bet is to look on google earth and look at the car park next to the [police station] that borders the eurotunnel passenger area to familiarise yourself with its wherabouts .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Attachments

• 1-DSC_5483.jpg
    1-DSC_5483.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 31

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know the height limit for this area? That barrier in the photo looks like it might take off my sat dome.

I believe the height barrier has been removed since I was there Chris .. it's not showing on street view

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks guys, looks like I drove past it then:Doh: it was after a long drive and was 1am in the morning though…..

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Thanks everyone for your replies. The response was so quick! Moving on from Calais the intention is to make for Venice via Germany & Italy. My concern is travelling through Austria. My Laika has GVW of 4.250 tonnes and would like to sneak through Austria on no toll roads etc. so avoiding Go-Box etc and seeing more of the country. I'd like to go via Salzburg, Zell am see and enter Italy somewhere around Tolmezzo.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone for your replies. The response was so quick! Moving on from Calais the intention is to make for Venice via Germany & Italy. My concern is travelling through Austria. My Laika has GVW of 4.250 tonnes and would like to sneak through Austria on no toll roads etc. so avoiding Go-Box etc and seeing more of the country. I'd like to go via Salzburg, Zell am see and enter Italy somewhere around Tolmezzo.

That's a nice trip !!!

Last year we went over the Dolomites from Venice to Innsbruck, it's very nice up there and wonderful for walking and cycling.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, I'm crossing late 11pm into Calais after a 6 hours drive from Devon. We're then heading into Belgium then down through Germany. Any suggestions on where to stay after the trip through the tunnel, just need somewhere to get my head down for a few hours. thanks

As others have said we used the Cite de Europe Boulevard du Kent, 62231 Coquelles, France at Easter no problems, you can actually see the tunnel from the Aire, theres no services electric or water, but a large shopping centre with a supermarket

Carrefour is Cité Europe's hypermarket. It is conveniently open to serve you from 8:30am to 9pm Mondays to Wednesdays and until 10pm Thursdays to Saturdays

hope this helps

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Gravelines is a lovely spot to stop off at, we use it every year now.:thumb: