Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Point duly missed NickNic :D
Maison says that he got the same cost WITH the Tesco points as without .. At least that is how I read it ??

In fact re-reading all the posts appertaining to that one branch of the thread, I now see that I made a leap and was completely wrong !
It had nothing to do with Tesco points at all

I will take a demerit mark and go sit in the corner !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I was told that Aldi and Lidl are owned by two German brothers. Hence the no competition agreement. Don't know if it's true.

both family owned but different family's I believe. Lidl started by the mum, then run by two sons who fell out when one wanted to sell cigarettes and one did not. they split the company into Lidl North and south apparently....

Lidl/Aldi, I think how it works is: if one opens in an area the other wont. In our case we have 4 Lidl nearby and Aldi a bit of a trek

Edit: Oops! you may in fact be right me wrong...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maison says that he got the same cost WITH the Tesco points as without .. At least that is how I read it ??

He would do. The Tesco vouchers are just a method of paying for the tickets, they don't get you a discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of the brothers died recently.. Dunno if that changed the no competition policy but we have BOTH here in Thetford.. New Lidl opened up earlier this year.. the Aldi has been here for many years

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Adendum:
Question. Are Aldi and Lidl run by brothers ?

Answer:
No. Lidl was established in the 1930s by the Schwarz company.
Later, stores were founded in 1970s and were named after one of the
Schwarz brothers' business partners, Ludwig Lidl.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
One of the brothers died recently.. Dunno if that changed the no competition policy but we have BOTH here in Thetford.. New Lidl opened up earlier this year.. the Aldi has been here for many years

We've had both in Kettering for years.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tesco is our nearest supermarket..

To visit Aldi or Lidl (both in Ipswich) would be a round trip of 45 miles.. same for Sainsbury's and even further for Adsa (about 50mls) ... at 30mpg.. = 1.5 gals. of petrol .. cost about £7.50 ... so no saving.

I also prefer the 'scan as you shop' in Tesco.. no queuing, no listening to check-out staff chatting to mates.. waiting while they scan a hundred discount vouchers.. no stuff being pushed down a roller chute and being squished.. then having to re-pack..

With Scan as You Shop.. You pack as you shop and have a running total of your spend.. altogether a much easier way to shop.. Check out time is only few minutes..

Have visited both discount stores when passing.. they have some good prices.. but couldn't get a full weeks shop in either.. each to their own..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
you poor things:) dontcha just love tax avoiding corporate multinationals that don't pay a living wage!:D

don't worry Aldi or Lidl ( they have a no competition agreement) will be there eventually(y)

They are just as bad. Try gogling "Lidl working conditions " or
"Lidl shop of horrors ":)

I was told that Aldi and Lidl are owned by two German brothers. Hence the no competition agreement. Don't know if it's true.

Lidl's are German.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl
Aldis are the 2 brothers & Aldi North & Aldi south are now two completely seperate companies for tax purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi
& not a lot better on the working conditions front.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...the-aldi-discount-empire-tick-a-709937-5.html

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
John (Jaws) if booking using Tesco points you have to phone the Tunnel all is explained on tesco clubcard site.So the quotes you are getting online have no relevance..............Martin.
Sorry but that's wrong, you get exactly the same price as online at the time you make the booking however bear in mind that the online price can fluctuate depending on demand at the time you do the 'search'. This is why when I make a booking on the phone I always have the prices 'live' on my laptop screen so I can check.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No idea what is happening there then
After getting a different quote every five minutes I rang them

Got the online quote, foned up and said I had £15 worth of tescos points ( actually a bit of a lie as at the moment I only have £14 so am desperately getting everyone to use my card LOL !! ) .. Asked what the price would be and was told with the points, the return price would be £167 including the dog
Exactly £45 less than the on line quote
That is the same price then! :rolleyes:

Tesco points value £15 x 3 = £45

Cost of crossing including dog over phone: £212 less £45 for Tesco vouchers = £167
Cost of crossing including dog online: £212 less £45 for Tesco vouchers = £167

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They are just as bad. Try gogling "Lidl working conditions " or
"Lidl shop of horrors ":)

I did .. and it's an eye opener

http://franklludwig.com/lidl.html

Note:

In 2007, the Guardian published an article about the working conditions in Lidl at http://www.guardian.co.uk/supermarkets/story/0,,2033346,00.html. Due to a misunderstanding, though, I wasn't quoted correctly - my evening shifts didn't last for 12 hours; however, they ended as late as 11pm or midnight (or, in case of an inventory, even a few hours later) and were followed by night shifts that commenced at 5am (not 6am).

Update 2014: My experience with Lidl now dates a few years back, and so do most contributions to this page. However, from what I read hardly anything has changed since then. Recently someone has put up a petition to Lidl to comply with labour legislation at change.org.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Where did you get that info from I can't find any mention of it. On Tesco website?
Received letter on Friday all transactions are to be 1 point per £8 spend £8 minimum spend cant copy as I shredded it
Lee

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. well sort of LOL !! Cross purposes and all that jazz :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Received letter on Friday all transactions are to be 1 point per £8 spend £8 minimum spend cant copy as I shredded it
Lee

See my posting #72 earlier on this thread, I highlighted it in red:

** Tesco Clubcard Credit Card
• In Tesco collect 1 point for every £4 spent in each purchase transaction (£4min) in addition to standard Clubcard points.
Outside of Tesco collect 1 point for every £8 spent in each purchase transaction (£8 min)*. (* Until 30 November 2015 you will collect 1 point for every £4 spend outside of Tesco (£4 min)).
Must have available credit to collect points. Earn rates are subject to change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back