LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use Tesco vouchers to buy tunnel tickets and find the experience very smooth. I haven't been on the ferry to France for 25 years.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Last couple of times on the Tunnel we have come back early without any hassle. Just turned up at Calais, explained the situation and first time paid £20 (we were 3 days early) and second time (a week early) didn't cost anything.
Last year we called ahead to travel a day early and they charged £10 ... No problem.

This time the problem arose because they booked us on a train that had already left before I called and then said it was our fault for which they now wanted £170 to travel on a later service... I was not amused and have not finished with them yet.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Last year we called ahead to travel a day early and they charged £10 ... No problem.

This time the problem arose because they booked us on a train that had already left before I called and then said it was our fault for which they now wanted £170 to travel on a later service... I was not amused and have not finished with them yet.
It will be interesting to see what their explanation is for booking on a train that had already run. (Time difference perhaps but not sure how that would work in your case.) The first time we turned up early (June 2013) we were offered the next train at £200 or an hour later at £20 so obviously chose the later train. It does seem a bit random as to how you get treated according to time of day/year.

(Sorry - just seen the train left before you called so ignore time difference rubbish!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
W
We use Tesco vouchers to buy tunnel tickets and find the experience very smooth. I haven't been on the ferry to France for 25 years.
We also use Tesco points to pay for the tunnel and have had no problems in the past.
The main disadvantage of paying through Tesco is that you have to call them to make any changes as they won't let you do it online.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We buy frequent traveller tickets ( living only 15 miles from the tunnel) which means we can book and change crossings anytime without charge as long as there is space. We are limited to off peak, which suits us, and we save a fortune on regular prices.
Downside for some is that you have to buy 10 single crossings at a time.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We buy frequent traveller tickets ( living only 15 miles from the tunnel) which means we can book and change crossings anytime without charge as long as there is space. We are limited to off peak, which suits us, and we save a fortune on regular prices.
Do these tickets have to be used within a specified time?

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Called Eurotunnel from Gravelines aire at 18.47 last evening to change our return booking to the soonest possible and was given a crossing at 04.45 this morning at £20 extra.

Arrived at French terminal at 03.30 this morning to be told we had missed out booking which they reckoned was yesterday morning, before my call even, so wanted to charge £170.:devil::doh:

After keeping us at the check in for half an hour they finally saw the error of their ways and said we could go on the 06.30 for £20 .... okay I agreed to this only to now be put on the 04.25.

In the past we have always found Et to be very efficient, although expensive, but after this fiasco I think we will revert to the ferry in future.

Just got my £20 refunded plus another £20 towards our next crossing ..... result!:D(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Do these tickets have to be used within a specified time?
I believe there only valid for 12 months but you can share them with one other person at time of purchase, so 1 could have 6 & the other 4 tickets .
I suggested this the other day ,if purchased in july 2014 use in sept 2014 and the other pair in june 2015

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

you can now share the scheme and spit it as you see fit + buy extra crossings above the 10

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sharing-tunnel-frequent-traveller-deal.94640/

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Wouldn't consider travelling any other way with the hound on board.

Only once had a problem when we arrived at Folkestone, claimed we had not booked a motorhome :unsure: They quickly checked the recording of the booking and we were on our way with many apologies in around five minutes. No extra charge involved :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back