Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Off to France in a few weeks and have been advised by Eurotunnel that it's a busy period so the chances of getting on early are slim.We booked a late crossing because we are leaving as soon as the kids finish school,and had to take into account rush hour traffic around London.
My question is can you arrive 4 ish hours before your departure and get a few hours kip in their car park .

Regards Vlad

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Vlad we have used the tunnel several times now and always receive the same email, so far we have only been refused an earlier train once and that was last week in July. If you do get refused then just drive round to the terminal and park in the corner of the car park I'm sure you will be fine for a couple or so hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Early arrivals

I think you will easily find a designated services off the M20 for tunnel early arrivals where you may get a nap, but it won't be for free ...
:RollEyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
they will be hard pushed to stop you getting in, you will be at the auto check in before they know you are early

you will be given options to wait for your crossing or go earlier, usually at extra £'s

refuse or pay, up to you, then you go round to furthest car park, reserved for larger vehicles, caravans, MH's, vans and coaches, never been more than 1/2 full when we have been

pop in to shops or just rest, big screens call you when ready

Well jel, as kids would say, we are not going for months yet :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Regardless of these routine emails, we have always been offered an earlier crossing (we are usually early as we both have an aversion to being late for anything) and only once have we had to pay any extra.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We were refused last year of an earlier check in due to volume, I buzzed and just asked to book in and be able to wait in the car park, no problems.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think their bumpf says you won't be allowed to arrive and enter their premises more than 2 hours before scheduled departure. However, what happens in practice is probably a different matter.

And yes, like others, we've usually caught an earlier train, even after receiving an email saying it's unlikely because we're travelling peak period.

Mike

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We arrived very early for an early morning crossing and parked/slept in the motorway services. Wouldn't say it was very quiet but it served a purpose and we didn't get a lot of sleep.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
If you arrive more than 2 hours early and they cannot get you on an earlier crossing then they will send you away, we've been turned away twice as their parking area isn't huge. We went over Easter weekend and there were no earlier crossings available either going out or coming back. If you are booked on a late crossing though you may have better luck getting an earlier train.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
We arrived 2 hours early the week before easter, had to wait for booked time and directed to park in waiting area (looks like a car park with big screen).
1st time on train,Did'nt like it, much prefer the ferries.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Always been offered an earlier crossing. We use quieter times anyway. But never had any probs

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Depends what day, time and date you travel???

we travel on sundays and always get on early crossings about 4 hour early. Friend travelled Friday night and told not to come early as all weekenders to their French homes travel Friday nights. Ring the travel info line on route and see what they say.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we have the same advice for our crossing l8er this month the same was sent to us for the 27th dec last year we still arrived around 4hrs early and was still allowed in but wasnt allowed a early crossing i have never been sent away and i have arrived early all the time the year before last we arrived at 9pm and our crossing wasnt till 2am we still gained access :Smile:

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
We had a crossing booked at 0120hrs on a Weds. We arrived at 2130hrs on Tues night and were told that we were a day early and to come back tomorrow! I rang the buzzer and spoke to a lady (who, clearly, wasn't the fizziest drink in the fridge), who told us that we couldn't check in and to clear off and come back after midnight when the system would accept us.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had a crossing booked at 0120hrs on a Weds. We arrived at 2130hrs on Tues night and were told that we were a day early and to come back tomorrow! I rang the buzzer and spoke to a lady (who, clearly, wasn't the fizziest drink in the fridge), who told us that we couldn't check in and to clear off and come back after midnight when the system would accept us.

Just as well you were not on a 00:15 crossing:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back