Euro Tunnel,arriving early

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, May 1, 2014.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Off to France in a few weeks and have been advised by Eurotunnel that it's a busy period so the chances of getting on early are slim.We booked a late crossing because we are leaving as soon as the kids finish school,and had to take into account rush hour traffic around London.
    My question is can you arrive 4 ish hours before your departure and get a few hours kip in their car park .

Regards Vlad

2. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

I think they only let you in 2 hours before departure

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Vlad we have used the tunnel several times now and always receive the same email, so far we have only been refused an earlier train once and that was last week in July. If you do get refused then just drive round to the terminal and park in the corner of the car park I'm sure you will be fine for a couple or so hours.

• Like Like x 1
  4. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Early arrivals

I think you will easily find a designated services off the M20 for tunnel early arrivals where you may get a nap, but it won't be for free ...
    :RollEyes:

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

they will be hard pushed to stop you getting in, you will be at the auto check in before they know you are early

you will be given options to wait for your crossing or go earlier, usually at extra £'s

refuse or pay, up to you, then you go round to furthest car park, reserved for larger vehicles, caravans, MH's, vans and coaches, never been more than 1/2 full when we have been

pop in to shops or just rest, big screens call you when ready

Well jel, as kids would say, we are not going for months yet :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Regardless of these routine emails, we have always been offered an earlier crossing (we are usually early as we both have an aversion to being late for anything) and only once have we had to pay any extra.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

We were refused last year of an earlier check in due to volume, I buzzed and just asked to book in and be able to wait in the car park, no problems.

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I think their bumpf says you won't be allowed to arrive and enter their premises more than 2 hours before scheduled departure. However, what happens in practice is probably a different matter.

And yes, like others, we've usually caught an earlier train, even after receiving an email saying it's unlikely because we're travelling peak period.

Mike

9. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

We arrived very early for an early morning crossing and parked/slept in the motorway services. Wouldn't say it was very quiet but it served a purpose and we didn't get a lot of sleep.

10. scousebird

scousebird Funster

If you arrive more than 2 hours early and they cannot get you on an earlier crossing then they will send you away, we've been turned away twice as their parking area isn't huge. We went over Easter weekend and there were no earlier crossings available either going out or coming back. If you are booked on a late crossing though you may have better luck getting an earlier train.

11. lou020

lou020 Funster

We arrived 2 hours early the week before easter, had to wait for booked time and directed to park in waiting area (looks like a car park with big screen).
    1st time on train,Did'nt like it, much prefer the ferries.

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Always been offered an earlier crossing. We use quieter times anyway. But never had any probs

13. chrisgog

chrisgog Read Only Funster

Depends what day, time and date you travel???

we travel on sundays and always get on early crossings about 4 hour early. Friend travelled Friday night and told not to come early as all weekenders to their French homes travel Friday nights. Ring the travel info line on route and see what they say.

14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

we have the same advice for our crossing l8er this month the same was sent to us for the 27th dec last year we still arrived around 4hrs early and was still allowed in but wasnt allowed a early crossing i have never been sent away and i have arrived early all the time the year before last we arrived at 9pm and our crossing wasnt till 2am we still gained access :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Binky

Binky Funster

We had a crossing booked at 0120hrs on a Weds. We arrived at 2130hrs on Tues night and were told that we were a day early and to come back tomorrow! I rang the buzzer and spoke to a lady (who, clearly, wasn't the fizziest drink in the fridge), who told us that we couldn't check in and to clear off and come back after midnight when the system would accept us.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Just as well you were not on a 00:15 crossing:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2