euro cash card

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JohnM, Apr 2, 2013.

1. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi, guys how many funsters use a euro cash preloaded card (looking at Travel FX mastercard)? Is there any disadvantages on using this method? Never used a pre-loaded card before, but as we are going for an extended period this year, don't really want to carry too much cash. It would appear that this is 'free' to load, withdraw and pay at major places. Your opinions/or other thoughts will be much appreciated.:thumb:

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have been using a Caxton Card for the past three years. It has been used in Spain, Italy, France, Luxembourg and Belgium without any problems or charges.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

WE are in France now and the automated fuel stations has declined the Caxton card twice, had to resort to my Santander credit card.
    Thank goodness it took that, lots of fuel stations automated here only taking cards.
    They are accepted in shops and campsites, the pin code is not needed strangely enough, they are just accepted without one which is worrying should anyone steal it.
    Only time I had to enter it was to get money out of bank which they don't charge you for incidentally.
    otherwise a great card to have with no withdrawal charges.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I have looked and asked questions about Euro cash cards for months.
    Finally decided to get a Caxton FX card as the exchange rates are reasonable. Another reason
    is the ability to transfer money to my Spanish bank without charge and still at the decent rate.
    Most appear to be very much the same so it's down to individual choice really.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

We use Cash Passport from Travelex and MasterCard. We got it from Sainsburys and have used it for years. Works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Better rate of exchange with clarity card

• Like Like x 2
  8. dadsmad

dadsmad Read Only Funster

we used the post office card without any problems last year
    we were in dublin france switzerland italy and andorra
    i dont believe there is any charge at all, we will have it for this summer in europe

• Like Like x 1
  9. andeb

andeb Read Only Funster

We have been using a Caxton card for nearly 2 years, no problem loading, via the internet or mobile phone, all very simple, that said Caxton have recently switched from Mastercard to Visa and since then we have had a similar problem as trish-n-tez when trying to refuel in France at the automated fuel kiosks, thankfully the SAGA (does that give my age away?) credit card saved the day. That aside a very useful card, accepted without problem Europe wide.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Just about to set off ourselves and have gone for the FairFX card as it offers the best rate.:thumb:

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

According to the Post Office website there's a €2 charge per ATM withdrawal.:Eeek:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money-card

12. Larby

Larby Funster

I have been looking at cards as I no longer wish to pay Santander £1.25 per transaction and 2.75% conversion fee!
    Caxton is my preferred card but read their own comments, I still expect to go for Caxton and pay with cash or other card for tolls (if used!) or at automatic filling stations.

[​IMG]4. Automated petrol stations
    Automated petrol stations on the continent usually take a security deposit when you first swipe your card. No money actually leaves your account at this point, but your available balance is reduced.

A couple of days later (it can be up to 15 days), they will process a settlement increase for €120 (for example) which will raise your available balance by €120. Simultaneously, they will process a settlement decrease where they will remove funds from your card to cover the actual amount of fuel you purchased for example €45. In the period between the two your account will appear to have been debited by €120, but it has not.

Only when the settlement decrease goes through has money actually left your account.

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards, or indeed any prepaid card. All cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.

[​IMG]5. Toll booths
    Caxton FX currency cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads and bridges do not seek an authorisation and therefore you can't use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

13. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

Just topped up my FairFx card with Euros at 1.16 today! Better rate than any of the normal sources Thompson's 1.10, Post office 1.06 (unless £500 then 1.09) Barclay's 1.09 but charge 3% if you use a debit card to pay for the euros same bloody charge at Lloyds

• Like Like x 1
  14. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Cash cards

i used FairFX last couple of years excellent exchange rates,never being refused anywhere nor should i ,all these cards are as good as cash .once paid two euro,s for using a cash machine in France ,but that is all i have. ever paid.there is also the point that no one could get anymore than is on the card which keeps your bank account safe.Highly reccomended.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I guess we all have our own solutions!

I use a PO credit card for as much as poss. It is commission free and has a reasonable exchange rate. I keep an eye on the transactions using Internet Banking. I generally use different cards in the UK.

For cash, I keep a separate bank account with not too much in and its own debit card. So I draw out of that at ATM's, and top it up from a different account using Internet Banking when I need too.

That way my main debit card does not get used abroad and I am not much at risk if the one I do use is lost or compromised.

16. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

If you hold a prepaid card its worth getting a second card in case of loss or theft.

I have been using FairFX for the last 5 years and it has been trouble free.

FairFx do a 'friends and family' duplicate card, cost £6, and you can transfer cash between the cards for free.

Very easy to top up by SMS or phone call, and as posted before, most probably the best retail exchange rates.

17. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Money Mail are doing a free offer on the FairFX card at the moment saving the £9.95 fee.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

According to the FairFX card info, they charge €1.50 when you use the card at a cash machine ... :Sad:

19. chaser

chaser Funster

Well , I have looked and looked at these cards and it appears to me that the ICE card wants some beating compleatly free everywhere and one percent cash back and a good rate, no one has mentioned it so there might be a catch that I haven't seen