Euro 5+ or 6 fiat (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are thinking of changing motorhomes is it worth waiting for the euro 6 and pay more or buy a euro 5+ cheaper?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can't see the resale value being any different so if they are the same otherwise I would go for the cheapest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If the euro 6 comes with an adblue system I personally would avoid it like the plague if my experience with our trucks is anything to go by :((y)
Oh dear, certainly would not like anything like that rubbish to have to deal with !!!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
By no means an authority on the matter and only relaying what I've read on tinternet but I believe Fiat are looking to release their Euro 6 engine avoiding the use of Adblue.

Personally, I've placed our order based on the 5+ to avoid the price hike on an engine that pleases officials within the EU, rather than the end users.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Whether you choose a five or six they run at a higher temperature to clean the dpf, which means you have to drive it at 3 to 3.5 thousand rmp for at least half an hour regularly to clean the system otherwise the yellow light will come on. If you do a lot of motorway driving at 65mph that will help. Personally I have a euro 4, less hassle all round. I certainly would not buy a Euro 6 until they have been tried and tested other than on a test bed in the lab! Ad blue only be present in HGVS , another running cost to be absorbed. My Euro 5 truck uses 25litres per week at 70p per litre.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Whether you choose a five or six they run at a higher temperature to clean the dpf, which means you have to drive it at 3 to 3.5 thousand rmp for at least half an hour regularly to clean the system otherwise the yellow light will come on. If you do a lot of motorway driving at 65mph that will help. Personally I have a euro 4, less hassle all round. I certainly would not buy a Euro 6 until they have been tried and tested other than on a test bed in the lab! Ad blue only be present in HGVS , another running cost to be absorbed. My Euro 5 truck uses 25litres per week at 70p per litre.
My FIAT ducato euro 5+ has a built in cleaning system which is activated by a sensor, it does not rely on running at a certain temperature. If it decides to clean itself there is a message light on the dashboard.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I live in London so was waiting for 6..they keep tightening regs all the time:(

Reactions: f6c

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Further to my earlier post, Fiat have adopted the Adblue system on their Euro 6 engines.

I've recently collected a new Burstner that was one of the last units to be fitted with the Euro 5+ engines and discovered it has the latest styling tweaks, Manual for Euro 6 models and includes the blanked off fill point for Adblue, which is located below the fuel filler.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Fiat Professional has announced that it will just be using EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) technology to achieve the Euro-6 emission standard, which is due in September 2016. So far, the Italian company is the only manufacturer not to use SCR (selective catalytic reduction), and will therefore not require the addition of Adblue solution.

Instead, Fiat is using an enhanced version of EGR, called Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation (LPEGR), which draws exhaust gases downstream of the turbocharger and returns them upstream of the compressor to reduce emissions.

Using LPEGR requires fewer components and no Adblue tank, which means the payloads of the Euro-6 Fiat Ducato aren’t affected as much as its competitors.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fiat Professional has announced that it will just be using EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) technology to achieve the Euro-6 emission standard, which is due in September 2016. So far, the Italian company is the only manufacturer not to use SCR (selective catalytic reduction), and will therefore not require the addition of Adblue solution.

Instead, Fiat is using an enhanced version of EGR, called Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation (LPEGR), which draws exhaust gases downstream of the turbocharger and returns them upstream of the compressor to reduce emissions.

Using LPEGR requires fewer components and no Adblue tank, which means the payloads of the Euro-6 Fiat Ducato aren’t affected as much as its competitors.
I wonder if the new Fiat Euro 6 engines use integrated exhaust manifolds in the cylinder head? This is a relatively new idea which promises less problems with blocked catalytic converters as the cat can be fitted closer to the head and this means the exhaust gas enters it at a higher temperature.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Go FIAT .......no blue pi $$ :clap2:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Further to my earlier post, Fiat have adopted the Adblue system on their Euro 6 engines.

I've recently collected a new Burstner that was one of the last units to be fitted with the Euro 5+ engines and discovered it has the latest styling tweaks, Manual for Euro 6 models and includes the blanked off fill point for Adblue, which is located below the fuel filler.
Who is correct? I could not find any info on the FIAT website.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
There is nothing on the Fiat web site for Adblue as they do not use it on the Ducato base vans at this time

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Just found this on the Adblue site but nothing on Fiat site
http://myadblue.co.uk/blogen/brands/fiat-diesel-models-and-adblue/

As of 2016, no Fiat model has SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) technology that uses AdBlue®liquid solution. In 2017, the new Euro VI standard will require manufacturers to further reduce nitrogen oxide emissions from diesel vehicles. In response to this new regulation, the Italian subsidiary of the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Group intends to adopt SCR catalyst technology.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Adblue is in use on the passenger Ducato (minibus) and has been for a while I believe, which is why there are references to it in the current Euro 5 owners handbook published May 2015. My understanding is that it is not being implemented on the van and truck versions, which will use SCR.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think i will stick with my not EURO anything,,,it will make life easier,,BUSBY.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Sprinter base uses Adblue, I put 9 litres in to do 2400 miles. cost of 12 euros in Ireland. If you buy it in Halfrauds it is twice that, but my friend get it in bulk tanks for his truck and it is 35p per litre, in a garage that has it on the pump it is 65p per litre. you must have a magnetic filler though to stop it going into another container by mistake.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
As mentioned in my earlier post, I have the latest hand book relevant to the euro 6 engines now being fitted and it clearly states the use of Adblue. The location of the fill point is just below the fuel filler cap.

Edit: I've just read Deneb's post, so will be interesting to hear what Newfi has on collection of their new MH fitted with the Euro 6 engine?

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
The 2017 model year New Ducato Euro 6 engines do not use Adblue. The mini bus version did from last year only because the new rules re Euro 6 came in earlier for passenger vehicles than commercial vehicles and the new Euro 6 engine was not ready. They therefore adapted the Old engine to run on adblue to make it compliant otherwise they would not have been able to sell mini buses. It was a short term fix only. The 2017 model year mini bus gets the new engine with no adblue.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Think i will stick with my not EURO anything,,,it will make life easier,,BUSBY.
Only if you dont like parking in cities and driving through ever larger environmental zones.....

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Hi guys went up for a 2 hour overview of the new euro 6 fiat based MH.
I checked & there is no Adblue tank. As @Hellski previously stated, there is a blanked off filler pannel below the diesel filler. I asked the dealer who said he knew of no plans to add Adblue to fiats 2016/7 range, obviously this could change in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back