EU directive

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rayb182, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Found this on another site so will share with all,
    Drivers taking their motorhomes to the Continent should take extra care when driving on European roads.
    In March this year, an EU directive came into force allowing European countries to share information on driver offences.
    As a result, authorities have become stricter and unprepared motorists could end up facing large fines if they fail to follow the rules.
    For example, a penalty of more than 90 euros (£80) awaits anyone not displaying a GB sticker in their vehicle, or failing to carry a high visibility vest.
    Not having a warning triangle or spare bulbs can also cost British drivers 90 euros if they're pulled over, while in France, licence and vehicle confiscation is possible.
    EU transport commissioner Siim Kallas pointed out that although foreign drivers make up just five per cent of the traffic on Europe's roads, they account for 15 per cent of offences.
    "If you are that driver, I have bad news. It's about to stop," he remarked.

• Like Like x 2
  2. carl65

carl65 Funster

lucky i cracked my rear bumper and put the first sticker i could find on then.:Rofl1:

now where did i put that triangle!!

3. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

You do not need a GB sticker if you have GB written on your numberplate :thumb:

Rasmus

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

You have to ask yourself one question though - are our Police forces going to reciprocate?
    How many foreign vehicles have you seen with headlight beam masks being just one example?
    Foreign registered trucks parked on the hard shoulder of the M2/M20 when Operation Stack is NOT in operation being another?
    In more than 35 years of travelling in Europe, I have been stopped twice, both times in France. First time because we had the bikes on the front of the camper (it's a long story), and the police woman was delightful, especially when we told her we had just come from what turned out to be her home town.
    The second time when driving a Brit registered car in the South of France, I was a little too hasty in my acceleration and got pulled. A very pleasant chat ensued during which I pointed out to Le Flic how tiny were the KMH markings on the speedo, and he threw his hands in the air, muttered Sacre Bleu, and sent me on my way.

• Like Like x 1