EU declares war on caravans with plan for MoT-style tests

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by ShiftZZ, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Holidaymakers are to be hit with bills for hundreds of pounds under European Union plans to impose MoT-style tests on caravans.

Up to 200,000 families could be affected by the draconian demands which it is warned could devastate the UK’s tourism economy.

The UK government is to launch an attempt to block the regulations, but it is feared it will be passed into law by Brussels later this year.

Testing: Up to 200,000 caravans face annual MoT-style tests to see if they are roadworthy under EU plans

Under the new rules almost every caravan will have to undergo safety testing, similar to MoTs for cars.

Controversially, all other light trailers under 2000kg will remain excluded from testing and only caravans have been singled out.

German MEP Werner Kuhn, a member of the transport committee pushing the reforms, argued that regular checks are needed on caravans which can often be left 'in a barn and used only once a year'.

He added: 'Then the chicken feathers are swept away and you do not know if the brakes are still OK, if the lighting works.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-families-hundreds-pounds.html#ixzz2bVAYJMUm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Don't see the problem Hilda. MOT will be around £40 and if it were mine I would like to know it was roadworthy.

Where does the "hundreds of pounds" come from??? :Smile:

• Like Like x 9
  3. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Great idea,might be more choice of pitches on sites .:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 12
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

one of the more sensible ideas to come out of Brussels in a while:thumb:
    I have said for a long time that a roadworthyness check should be mandatory on a yearly basis. Have seen so many dangerous vans on the road and campsites over the years. even seen a couple catch fire as they were being towed up the road with seized brakes. one of those was outside a petrol station but 50 yards from the firestation

as a side effect the travellers will have a hard time disguising all the nicked vans they live in. Police should be able to stop them on the road and demand the genuine documents

in fact I cant honestly see a negative point to this

• Like Like x 23
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and to include every trailer in the land i presume, from the homeowners little garden trailer to the large 3500kg builders trailer.

cant have a rule for one trailer and not another.

the only difference is what the trailer chassis carries...builders materials or an accommodation unit.

then of course we move on to policing it.......which will mean registration of all trailers and subsequently registration plates in their own right.

I wont hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  6. campa cola

campa cola Funster

wonder if this will make it more difficult to dump a caravan?
    I have to agree with this legislation, have seen plenty of dodgy looking vans and the lights never work properly on a lot of the older ones.....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. olley

olley Funster

From all the repairs they will have to do to make them roadworthy. :BigGrin:

Ian

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

from oct this year new caravans will have to be registered with a vin number and go an inspection before use . it as already started some trailers already are inspected and vin,d .
    there is going to be lots of changes . m,homes with garages will reqire hgv mot,s soon if carrying m,bikes boats etc as living vans . . its all coming slowly . at the moment mot testers can ask the driver what the garage area is used for .over 3,500kg and it could be hgv time .

9. pappajohn

but thats up to the police and VOSA to enforce construction and use laws....not the EU to make new, un-enforcible ones.

how many cars are on the roads without insurance or MOT ?...more than get stopped
    how many people drive without a full licence ?....more than get stopped

......and they are on a database available to the police

how many people wont have an MOT for their caravan.....more than will get stopped.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

And DVLA cost for a new reg plus of course they will find a way to Road Tax it

Peter

• Like Like x 4
  11. pappajohn

I'm sure if this became law there would be a good case for minority discrimination and the caravan club would be at the forefront defending its members rights..

so the EU would be breaking their own laws from the outset.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Beemer

Beemer Read Only Funster

If this legislation gets pushed through then there just might be a whole lot of caravans "dumped" in various European campsites/storage facilities.

The ferry companies must be cock-a-hoop at the prospect of increased trade with owners having to return to UK with their caravans for their annual MOT !

13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

2 berth Ace rallyman for sale ASAP

• Like Like x 5
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

Well, I'm a tad gobsmacked that anyone (except the illegals!) would mind?

People must be bananas if they set off without checking all the lights and the spare and all that jazz. I used to find that really tedious, standing on the drive behind the trailer and ergo miles away from Pete's deaf side (LOL) yelling offside brake light on, off ... etc !

• Like Like x 6
  15. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Perhaps a silly question but how can they monitor this with all the old caravans?

They dont have registration numbers so unless insurance companies provide details the government wont be able to trace them.

Personally I think every vehicle and every trailer on our roads should have annual safety checks and that includes mobility scooters too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Would a Demountable be included ???

17. chaser

chaser Funster

I may be wrong(often am:BigGrin:) but don't French caravans already have their own number, other trailers do

• Like Like x 3
  18. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Spanish trailers and many other continental also have a separate number plate. Two plates on the trailer tow vehicles and it own.

Trailers up to 750kg mam are category O1 vehicles. Other trailers including caravans up to 3500kg MAM are category O2 and Goods trailers over 3500kg are category O3.

Allowing only registered trailers on the road would be a good thing. It will bring the A-Frame issue to a head though in all countries. Are they a trailer or a towed vehicle?

Category O3 trailers are already plated and tested. I see no problem in reducing the weight limit to include other goods trailers and caravans. 2000kg is an odd figure however as it would rule out many light caravans and trailer tents.

19. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Yes..mine is ..over a certain kg..(I think it is over 750 kg)

20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Why Roger:Doh: is Ace Rallyman NOT road worthy:Eeek: