Etiquette in aires (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Not quite an aire.. we are parked up in a permitted camper stop in Giverny.

This is our first venture into France, and free parking... can't help but notice that all the other moho's are lined /parked up alongside one another, about three feet apart. The place is less than a third full... Loads of places.

We've parked away from them so we have a nice view across the countryside... Is this breaking some unwritten rule?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I'd say no. but if it had got busy, you more than likely would have had someone park 2 foot away from you. very often not always they do park that close , we've been asked to move if we've left a too wide distance between us & the next moho , so someone can get into park if things get busy ( not always politely sometimes quite abrupt)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No it's fine with especially if there's a lot of space. If it fills up then expect other people to be parked close to you. There are no rules regarding minimum spacing like UK campsites have.

I dont know why European vans tend to park like that. It might just be a habit that forms to stop space being wasted on smaller aires.

If you park on a busy aire and leave too much of a gap you will either be told to move or find another van squeezes in.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As @JJ says, in the first instance park where you like. What usually happens is most people will try to park at least a full MH width plus a bit away from you, then if the aire gets really busy around evening time they'll start filling in the gaps, sometimes up to the point where doors and windows clash.

What you found when you arrived may be the leftover from a busy day minus a few mid-morning departures, or a group who enjoy the company of other MH owners - damn fools :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Park wherever you want, but don't be surprised if a French van comes and parks three feet away from you...

It seems to be the way they do things.

JJ :cool:
The reason for that is that they all live in mid-terraced houses:LOL:

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Its a bit like when i park the Impreza in a supermarket car park.

Im well away from anyone minding my own business i a far off corner.

Come out and i guarantee at least two cars parked by me :)
I do that with my small car and would do even if was a 25 year old Corsa.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I'd say no. but if it had got busy, you more than likely would have had someone park 2 foot away from you. very often not always they do park that close , we've been asked to move if we've left a too wide distance between us & the next moho , so someone can get into park if things get busy ( not always politely sometimes quite abrupt)

At the very popular Aire on the harbour at Almerimar on the South coast of Spain I have witnessed the "not always politely" of the above! o_O

In fact it very, very nearly came to blows - the area was packed and a queue waiting to get in - one van left and 2 went in - 1st one was OK 2nd one started gesticulating at a Brit couple who had camping chairs out between them & the next van - soon a mini crowd arrived and took sides and a massive argument took place. :eek:

Eventually a harbour official arrived and the 2nd campervan was "shown the door! (y)

From where I stood it appeared that he wanted the Brit to take in his chairs, move his van closer to the next one so that the angry camper could squeeze in - if the manouvre had been carried out then there it seemed to me that there would have been no more than 2 feet between the vans - just enough to open the hab door!! :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You must at Monet's garden.
We have stayed there and there is no problem where you park up, do your own thing and bugger the locals.
If can get cosy on some Aires when they are busy but if there is plenty of room then use it.

We didn't go around the gardens (not our thing) but they are very popular considering how many coaches arrived the following morning. enjoy

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It would definitely help on the very busy aires (that we try to avoid anyway) to put in line markings to reduce the risk of a row.

I wonder if some would always park 1m off the next MH so as they can never be accused of taking too much space, good chance that in the OP's example, if it did fill right up they would end up with a larger gap and be asked to move, unless of course they are already in the corner when that logic fails (although they may get a larger gap it would not be their fault (y)

quite a few that we have used have well defined markings, but quite a few have nothing

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's just the French, go into the Gents you can be having a quiet pee 6 urinals between you and the end wall a French man will come in and stand next to you. Also on an empty beach, you are the only one on it a French family will arrive and plonk themselves down 2 feet from you.

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
My experience of French aires is that no one could care less how close or how far you park from the next van. Seems to me the only people that are actually bothered about this sort of thing is the British. My advice is park up, open a bottle and relax.

Upvote 0

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We were on that site in Giverny last year while visiting Monets house and gardens. We parked just beside the gate through to the overspill field and in the evening a Belgium van parked about 2 feet in front of us so that everyone on that side were all neatly parked. By 8pm the whole of the main area was full, but there was a van parked on its own away in a corner, so no problem, there is plenty space. Look forward to visiting again this year.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It's just the French, go into the Gents you can be having a quiet pee 6 urinals between you and the end wall a French man will come in and stand next to you. Also on an empty beach, you are the only one on it a French family will arrive and plonk themselves down 2 feet from you.
They are just being sociable.....

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have been on a aire and we left too much room between us and the next van and sure enough when the aire got busy another van squeezed in between us and the next van leaving us no space I think thats why the French park next to people .

Upvote 0

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
How do you know he's French, striped Willy warmer with attached beret?

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Perhaps its so if it gets busy you dont end up with a lot of spaces nearly but not quite big enough to get another m/h in and stop someone else getting a space. As I see it you either go on aires and accept the spacing or go and pay for a site. I can see why the extra one coming in wanted the brits to move their chairs and make space to me its the way aires work and rude not to move!

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've been on Aires where you're squeezed in like sardines and then there are some (mostly out in the villages) where you get a dedicated space with hedges between.
Park where you like/can, we've only been asked to move once and that was because of the Tour de France coming through & everyone wanted to be there!

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
On an opposite view, how many of us have turned up on an aire, Motorhomes parked with the awning and the table & chairs out? taking up at least the space for another weary traveller.
Do you grunt and mutter and move on or ask/tell them to let you in?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
You must at Monet's garden.
We have stayed there and there is no problem where you park up, do your own thing and bugger the locals.
If can get cosy on some Aires when they are busy but if there is plenty of room then use it.

We didn't go around the gardens (not our thing) but they are very popular considering how many coaches arrived the following morning. enjoy

Thats a bit inconsiderate of you. The land is privately owned and for the use of people paying to visit the gardens. Also not very polite of you to say Bxxxxx the locals.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On an opposite view, how many of us have turned up on an aire, Motorhomes parked with the awning and the table & chairs out? taking up at least the space for another weary traveller.
Or a toad taking up a space.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Maybe the French are very needy :)

Hence why the don't want to leave the EU :)

Sorry couldn't resist

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Like this ?? :Eeek::Eeek:

busy.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps its so if it gets busy you dont end up with a lot of spaces nearly but not quite big enough to get another m/h in and stop someone else getting a space. As I see it you either go on aires and accept the spacing or go and pay for a site. I can see why the extra one coming in wanted the brits to move their chairs and make space to me its the way aires work and rude not to move!

Absolutely agree, it's got to the point now where if we see another U.K. Van we deliberately park against them just to p them off, what the hell does it matter, you are probably only going to be there in the dark anyway, the more you can get on the better for everyone, and parking together even though there is open ground keeps everything lined up to make the best use of the space.(y):)
And just another thing that's been mentioned, you are not actually supposed to have awnings out, or anything else lying about on Aires.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
And just another thing that's been mentioned, you are not actually supposed to have awnings out, or anything else lying about on Aires.

Agreed on that. I can't abide people spreading out into the other parking spaces, whatever nationality - stay within your bay, or your footprint plus some door opening space. It should be possible to stick a camping chair out somewhere nearby without obstructing others' vehicles.

I remember seeing an Austrian MH owner throwing a paddy on the Dieppe port aire because someone had parked within a full MH width of his vehicle. Campsite warden on holiday?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back