Estimated Mileage. Does It Matter? (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Safeguard do not have a mileage limit so therefore they don't ask the question! Other insurers do as you have found out ... if you underestimate and have to make a claim in effect it gives them a get out clause to not pay.

Remember you are entering into a contract with them when you take out insurance and saying you'll do no more than X amount of miles so if you go over that you are in breach of contract. They use the mileage to assess the risk and thereby set the premium accordingly.
Yes - had to increase the annual mileage on one of my cars to keep the right side and Aviva simply said "thanks, noted and no charge" with policy amended accordingly.

Not sure how they check in case of an accident unless they access the mileages given at each MOT, but don't think it is a risk worth taking

Edit - just realised how old the thread is. Still relevant, though

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I got a quote from Safeguard for new business, (loosing the will to live with all the questions), when they finally came out with TaDa! THE QUOTE! , I truthfully told them they were sixty quid over, they had a think, and said they could do it for..... fifty nine quid less.

I told them "you only get one chance", they should have done this in the first place and rang off: : now I say that FIRST.

It seems to sharpen their minds, "give me your best price": no return / second chance, especially if you say they are the 4th painful call you have had that day.

FG, (trying to negotiate insurance for 4 vehicles...)
If they are willing to virtually match your cheapest quote ... and from experience do a very good policy with good support when you need to claim ... why would you hang up! o_O

OP
OP

Deleted User
Safeguard were the only company I found that do unlimited mileage, so there isn't any other direct comparison.
They also cover 365 days in any EU country, and that also includes roadside assistance.
As it's going for us now we will be nowhere near what we original estimated on mileage, so possibly could have saved a few pounds.
But hey ho that's life.

Lin :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I asked our broker the last time we insured, about estimated mileage & he said Quote " its exactly that estimated but if you go ridiculously over your excess will be adjusted to suit, better to ring us if your going to go over by much & we will adjust your premium "unquote

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
can't remember who we first insured our last van with,but we did have a maximum mileage, had to phone twice to increase it, which was done but for a fee second time. told they would not insure us for same mileage following year! we did renew with them for same higher mileage was also best quote. now on insurance with no upper limit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You mileage is trackable at every MOT so could be checked if anyone wanted to..
Only if the speedo works.:LOL:
If they are willing to virtually match your cheapest quote ... and from experience do a very good policy with good support when you need to claim ... why would you hang up! o_O
Principals.(y) I'd do the same.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
What I don't understand is that they ask for a mileage estimate but don't ask for a current mileage figure. How can they possibly tell? We've just insured again with Comfort and estimated 10k but as this is a new to us van they couldn't possibly know what we would have done in the case of a claim.

Wouldn't they just be able to check your MoT mileage online (assuming the vehicle is over 3 years old of course?

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Out of interest I have just been give a fully comprehensive insurance quote where the passenger and driver injury claim was limited to £25000 each!

I have never heard of such a restriction and am surprised it is even legal. I have asked for them to email me the actual policy details - which so far they haven't. Has anyone heard of anything like this. I always assumed that 3rd party liability would have covered one for several millions, but they said, yes - for others, but not for those in the vehicle ??????

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Out of interest I have just been give a fully comprehensive insurance quote where the passenger and driver injury claim was limited to £25000 each!

I have never heard of such a restriction and am surprised it is even legal. I have asked for them to email me the actual policy details - which so far they haven't. Has anyone heard of anything like this. I always assumed that 3rd party liability would have covered one for several millions, but they said, yes - for others, but not for those in the vehicle ??????

So we are talking about a limit on how much your passengers can claim of you are at fault and they are injured.....third party liability your insurers will pay upto a set figure, then their reinsurance takes over - insurers insure themselves against big claims...think coach carrying England football team....

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So we are talking about a limit on how much your passengers can claim of you are at fault and they are injured.....third party liability your insurers will pay upto a set figure, then their reinsurance takes over - insurers insure themselves against big claims...think coach carrying England football team....

Sorry - I don't quite follow :(

Does that mean if i was driving, the car skidded on ice, crashed into a tree and my passenger (say a 25 year old family man) was left paraplegic and needed lifetime support thereafter, my insurers would pay £25000 maximum, and I would find the rest, or he would be paid in full?

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Ooophs OP - If I am highjacking your thread :(

Shall I start another?

By the way. When I first started I had 6000 pa, but approaching the year I knew I would exceed the amount, so phoned and for £20 or £30 more they increased the annual mileage to 8000

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I don't know to be honest - It's a while since I worked in the industry now - for the most part I worked in accident management - but did work for brokers and insurers too - it certainly sounds like it will limit their liability - as far as any further liability from your part I don't know ....good point. I'd be keen to hear their explanation - I bet the person on end of phone will struggle to answer.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Ooophs OP - If I am highjacking your thread :(

Shall I start another?

By the way. When I first started I had 6000 pa, but approaching the year I knew I would exceed the amount, so phoned and for £20 or £30 more they increased the annual mileage to 8000
No worries it's an old thread :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What I don't understand is that they ask for a mileage estimate but don't ask for a current mileage figure. How can they possibly tell? We've just insured again with Comfort and estimated 10k but as this is a new to us van they couldn't possibly know what we would have done in the case of a claim.
Easy enough to check the on-line MOT history.
By law, the current mileage each year MUST be recorded at MOT test.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Easy enough to check the on-line MOT history.
By law, the current mileage each year MUST be recorded at MOT test.
My Ducato van (not the MH) has exactly the same MOT reading of 59K for the 3 MOTs prior to me buying it. Apparently it stopped working for the previous owner and he couldn't be bothered to have it fixed. The dealer fixed it for me before I bought it and told me it was a loose electrical connection. So it can't be difficult to fiddle your mileage (should you be so inclined) even with fairly modern vehicles.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My Ducato van (not the MH) has exactly the same MOT reading of 59K for the 3 MOTs prior to me buying it. Apparently it stopped working for the previous owner and he couldn't be bothered to have it fixed. The dealer fixed it for me before I bought it and told me it was a loose electrical connection. So it can't be difficult to fiddle your mileage (should you be so inclined) even with fairly modern vehicles.
Your quite right millage is of no interest to mot tester he will enter what he see''s even leave blank or write not displayed it not law or even a requirement also vehicle actual milage can be read from the ecu if you have a proper scanner such as ours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back