Essentials, What Should We Put Into Mh? (1 Viewer)

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi we are just personalising our motor home with bits and bobs and were wondering what essentials we should put in, what would you recommend? we have stuff like shower gel, toothpaste, sleeping bags, pans, plates etc. but I am sure there will be something obvious we will forget! thanks in advance.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
We have really pared down our 'essentials' since changing to a motorhome from a caravan. My list would be:
  • Wine/beer glasses. Hate plastic or acrylic!
  • Spare carrier bags for rubbish etc.
  • freezer bags for food leftovers.
  • 'Medical' basket with cures for any minor upsets or incidents.
  • Spare loo roll.
  • Earplugs (Jeeeeeez can that man snore!!)
  • Watering can
  • Chargers for phones etc
  • Everything else should already be in the van and if I forget anything there's always shops!

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Extra blanket in case it goes cold, paracetamol, safety pins, and never forget your toothbrush::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will add Multimorph plastic to my list of essentials.

Might want to add some Immodium as well though. The driving I saw on the way here almost made me Eartha Kitt myself.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
As the quote goes, If you don't disaster plan, you plan a disaster!

So do some armchair planning. Brainstorm a list(s) and then convert the brainstorm into a category checklist. I have one that I've laminated. I add any new items with a fine permanent marker until I get around to updating a page. Start with a list for the cab - Tissues, sweets, sunglasses, Sat-Nag, engine fluid levels etc and then work backwards through the van, ending with the loo. Finally, have a 'technical' list for things like TP gauge, tools, hose connectors, gas cylinder levels la-di-da. Oh and don't forget to list any Meds/bite creams/headache tabs etc.

My lists above are not exhaustive, but you get the drift.

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I won't be making the same mistake again. It a bit like getting your old fella trapped in your flies. You only do that once.... :LOL:

I have the fuel quandary as we have four vehicles, two petrol and two weasels. Every time after starting filling I have to have a think if I have the right pump.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
As the quote goes, If you don't disaster plan, you plan a disaster!

So do some armchair planning. Brainstorm a list(s) and then convert the brainstorm into a category checklist. I have one that I've laminated. I add any new items with a fine permanent marker until I get around to updating a page. Start with a list for the cab - Tissues, sweets, sunglasses, Sat-Nag, engine fluid levels etc and then work backwards through the van, ending with the loo. Finally, have a 'technical' list for things like TP gauge, tools, hose connectors, gas cylinder levels la-di-da. Oh and don't forget to list any Meds/bite creams/headache tabs etc.

My lists above are not exhaustive, but you get the drift.

I'm never sure whether to be envious of the people who are this organised or relieved that I can get a couple of nights away in the van with 20 minutes prep purely because I don't go to this much trouble.

If I spent the time writing the lists I would lose sleep over where the lists are... I think I prefer the run out the door with some stuff in a bag approach overall.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
To a certain extent - MH'ing is making do - but one can have life's little luxuries.
As a Newbie, I'm trying to do with what I know I need, without cluttering up with the "just in case" stuff..

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Added to the WD40 and gaffer tape,an assortment of cable ties can be useful in an emergency and inexpensive.
Plenty of the plastic webbing stuff from the pound shop to put between plates,pots and pans etc.Rattles drive me mad :mad:

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm never sure whether to be envious of the people who are this organised or relieved that I can get a couple of nights away in the van with 20 minutes prep purely because I don't go to this much trouble.

If I spent the time writing the lists I would lose sleep over where the lists are... I think I prefer the run out the door with some stuff in a bag approach overall.

Lucky you, things we have 2 of are fine one in van and one at home, but forgetting John's CPAP machine, would be didastrous and mean a trip back home to collect it. Takes seconds to look down the 'must not forget' list and saves a lot of arguments, like who left the cooked chicken in the boot of my car.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Lists? I suffer from CDO. (It's like OCD but in the proper alphabetical order :D)

Nah, I've done all that 'Let's hit the road......see where the bonnet takes us....wind in the hair' nonsense. You get to the back of beyond and then find you've got no fluid in the toilet cassette or only one square of paper stuck to a cardboard loo roll!

Had all that 'make-do' bit in the camping days. If I don't check that hair straightners or a hot brush are on board, I'm in big trouble with herself!

You don't have to spend hours making lists when the sun's out, just when you've got withdrawal symptoms or a quiet rainy evening. You only have to make a list once (or 5 times in my case :)).

Remember the old camping adage; It's better to take it and not need it, rather than not take it and wish you had!

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Lists? I suffer from CDO. (It's like OCD but in the proper alphabetical order :D)

Nah, I've done all that 'Let's hit the road......see where the bonnet takes us....wind in the hair' nonsense. You get to the back of beyond and then find you've got no fluid in the toilet cassette or only one square of paper stuck to a cardboard loo roll!

Had all that 'make-do' bit in the camping days. If I don't check that hair straightners or a hot brush are on board, I'm in big trouble with herself!

You don't have to spend hours making lists when the sun's out, just when you've got withdrawal symptoms or a quiet rainy evening. You only have to make a list once (or 5 times in my case :)).

Remember the old camping adage; It's better to take it and not need it, rather than not take it and wish you had!
Far too organised for me but in xx years or so we may have to copy your lists, it seems like we might need them :LOL:

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Everything we need stays in the van, except fresh food and clothes, so we only need to do our "checklist" once a season or if I do a good clean out after a long trip.

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Make a list and keep adding to it. You WILL always forget something though but guess what they have shops everywhere :)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we've been doing this motorhome malarky for more years than I care to remember. over those years we have learnt a few lessons

1 have at least 2 of everything you use daily (including chargers etc). one set at home and one in the van
2 try to make sure everything you add to the van has a minimum of 2 uses
3 make a note of what gets used or broken when away in the van and replace as soon as you get home
4 if its not been used or will be used within a month, take it out
5 carry minimum tools and spares to do a quick fix. duct tape, wd40, screwdrivers, adjustable spanner, small socket set and breakdown recovery service card. if it works, even if limited, it will generally last till you get home

this way, all we need to do is empty the house fridge into a cool bag, pop it into the van and we are ready to go. no lists to find and check off or faffing about forgetting stuff

as they say, for everything else there's master card. well you know what I mean, you're not going to Mars so there will be shops

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I really enjoyed the double entendre from TheBig1:-
1 have at least 2 of everything you use daily. one at home and one in the van = Take the girlfriend leave wife behind
2 try to make sure everything you add to the van has a minimum of 2 uses = Cleaning, cooking,....
3 make a note of what gets used or broken when away in the van = get new girlfriend when home
4 if its not been used or will be used within a month, take it out......??? that's your problem
5 carry minimum tools and spares to do a quick fix. duct tape, wd40, screwdrivers, adjustable spanner, small socket set and breakdown recovery service card. if it works, even if limited, it will generally last till you get home...... thank you for your SM tips although I am allergic to WD40

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back