Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm completely new to all this. I have camped in the past during my time in the forces and when my kids were........well....kids.
I'm planning a 5 week tour of Europe next year, stopping off in Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Mainland Greece, then on to Crete, not sure of the rout back home yet. Just spent what I consider to be an obscene amount of dosh on a Fiat Ducato Adria Twin van conversion. Not sure if I have made the right choice, I have looked at loads of different conversions, but it's impossible to know exactly what you want until you've used it:Blush: I was going to hire a van, but it was going to cost around 3K, so I bit the bullet and parted with a lot more cash to buy one and if I don't like it I can flog it and hopefully not lose too much.
Anyway, I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you camping veterans to make the most of my trip and have a great time.

Nick.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hello to you too.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you're not going to do that in 5 weeks and enjoy it properly.

Think Quality not Quantity.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Welcome to the fun. Plenty of veterans here and some are pretty camp, but probably don't consider themselves campers:roflmto:

Have a great trip, check up on the Aires, it could save you a lot of dosh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Nick, welcome to MotorhomeFun. :thumb:
:flyingwelcome:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
hi there and welcome :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to FUN
Im sure that any questions you have be it about your new to you toy or route suggestions will be answered, you only have to ask

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
hello nick

welcome to fun i am from the cambridge area to :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I'm completely new to all this. I have camped in the past during my time in the forces and when my kids were........well....kids.
I'm planning a 5 week tour of Europe next year, stopping off in Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Mainland Greece, then on to Crete, not sure of the rout back home yet. Just spent what I consider to be an obscene amount of dosh on a Fiat Ducato Adria Twin van conversion. Not sure if I have made the right choice, I have looked at loads of different conversions, but it's impossible to know exactly what you want until you've used it:Blush: I was going to hire a van, but it was going to cost around 3K, so I bit the bullet and parted with a lot more cash to buy one and if I don't like it I can flog it and hopefully not lose too much.
Anyway, I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you camping veterans to make the most of my trip and have a great time.

Nick.
:welcomefunster:
it sounds like a good trip get good insurance cover for Europe with home cover should the worst happen
fill up with as much food as you can here (youl save pounds on euro food costs
enjoy your trip:thumb:

OP
OP
ntg

ntg

Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the support and advice, some good tips there.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Nick,
Firstly Welcome. We're still new or relatively so to motorhoming, and your right, there is a lot of help and advice on this website - new friends out there have already helped emormously!
We did a 25 day trip to Germany this year, our first venture into mainland Europe, had a great time but could have easily spent longer just around Germany alone ( Mosel valley, Rhine, Black Forest, etc), so much to see.
So, I'd think about taking it easy and either increasing your trip time or decreasing the itinerary - seems a lot to do in the time you've allocated.
Happy Travels,
John and Di

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Fun, a good place to ask all the questions you need to, that's quite a trip you have planned, now that you have your van, and years of adventures ahead of you it may be a thought to just follow the front of the van on your route and see how far you get the first time with out putting pressure on to do it all in one hit, whatever you choose have a great time and enjoy. ::bigsmile::welcomefunster:

OP
OP
ntg

ntg

Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your tips Carol & jonandi, much appreciated.

You are both right of course, my trip does sound a bit unachievable, but our main aim is to get to Crete to visit relatives. We haven't really planned to tour all of these countries, just take a convoluted rout to look at Dachau in Germany traveling through Belgium to get there (perhaps stop the night and sample some beer). On through Switzerland and stop over for a night or two, then into Italy spending a few days looking at some of the main attractions. Over to Greece to spend a few days on the mainland before sailing to Crete for about 7 days, then back to the UK via a different rout.
It all started with the intention of driving by car taking the quickest rout and stopping in B&B's. Then it progressed to hiring a motor home and now we've bought one!
I used to travel to Greece by car as a kid because my dad would not fly so it's a bit of nostalgia for me.
Who knows......it will probably all change by June 1st when we plan to leave.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

If you've not done many miles in a MH you could be in for a surprise. OK you can have the glasses and pans rattling and drop down to 20mpg and cover some miles but it's not much fun.

As a means of transport to get to Greece you are on a loser, a plane is much better.

As a means to chill out and amble somewhere then a winner.

We set a maximum of 300 miles a day but 200 is real holiday mode.

OP
OP
ntg

ntg

Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you've not done many miles in a MH you could be in for a surprise. OK you can have the glasses and pans rattling and drop down to 20mpg and cover some miles but it's not much fun.

As a means of transport to get to Greece you are on a loser, a plane is much better.

As a means to chill out and amble somewhere then a winner.

We set a maximum of 300 miles a day but 200 is real holiday mode.

I appreciate your advice hilldweller and I'm sure we are in for a surprise, but I don't intend to rush it. To be honest, I have not sat down to calculate miles timings etc and this is something that my brief membership of this forum has highlighted as fairly important.
As for flying.......I do that for a living so I don't particularly fancy it for a holiday, but I agree it's good if you just need to get somewhere quickly.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your tips Carol & jonandi, much appreciated.

You are both right of course, my trip does sound a bit unachievable, but our main aim is to get to Crete to visit relatives. We haven't really planned to tour all of these countries, just take a convoluted rout to look at Dachau in Germany traveling through Belgium to get there (perhaps stop the night and sample some beer). On through Switzerland and stop over for a night or two, then into Italy spending a few days looking at some of the main attractions. Over to Greece to spend a few days on the mainland before sailing to Crete for about 7 days, then back to the UK via a different rout.
It all started with the intention of driving by car taking the quickest rout and stopping in B&B's. Then it progressed to hiring a motor home and now we've bought one!
I used to travel to Greece by car as a kid because my dad would not fly so it's a bit of nostalgia for me.

Hi Nick,
OK, I'm sure you're in for a fantastic adventure - whatever happens.
Have fun and travel safely.
Big 'Hello' to Carol and Eddie!!:thumb:
John

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Welcome, and have fun in fun..................Del

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but I agree it's good if you just need to get somewhere quickly.

This crops up regularly in here. "Must dash to Spain for some good weather" and the reality is if they did a bit of research they would get an apartment and flights cheaper than taking a MH. The usual argument is "I want to be in my MH", OK but I wonder what attraction a MH has over a proper bathroom, lounge, bedroom. Only a big RV really gets close. The pitch prices can be as expensive or higher than a good room deal.

This applies only to people with limited time of course, like someone who was determined to take his 90 year old mother to Spain for a week via Calais.

Long term, I think having lots of your possessions might sway the argument.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi and welcome :)

I would suggest:

Germany, Austria, Italy, then bimble round to Croatia.
Croatia is fantastic and really is your atypical Med / Aegean /Adriatic desitnation without the hassles
Plot up there there ( somewhere near Dubrovnik maybe ? Fabulous walled city ) and fly over to Crete on Fleasy Jet or similar

Cost less, be with the family longer, less hassle, and taking in Croatian night life is worth the drive down on its own !!

OP
OP
ntg

ntg

Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brian wrote:
The usual argument is "I want to be in my MH", OK but I wonder what attraction a MH has over a proper bathroom, lounge, bedroom.
This is exactly what I don't know Brian. I spend a large part of my working life in hotels, so the MH appeals to me as something different. We may hate it, but I would like to think not. This is all a bit of an experiment and I appreciate all of the advice.

Jaws wrote:

I would suggest:

Germany, Austria, Italy, then bimble round to Croatia.
Croatia is fantastic and really is your atypical Med / Aegean /Adriatic desitnation without the hassles
Plot up there there ( somewhere near Dubrovnik maybe ? Fabulous walled city ) and fly over to Crete on Fleasy Jet or similar
That's good advice. I have heard lots of good things about Croatia and I have never been so this is a place I would intend to stay for longer and make a holiday of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back