errrr... hello (1 Viewer)

H

Harvey Wallbanger

Deleted User
Hello all, happy Easter. We are motorhome virgins so be gentle. Taking the plunge this summer and decided on hiring a motorhome to do the Scottish Highlands and Islands (yes, someone else who has decided that our lovely currency is too weak for the usual european jaunt!) - 2 adults, 2 kids sub-10. 2 weeks mid August.

Renting seems straight forward enough. Have found a number of websites and I'll be doing a big ring around tomorrow to ask searching questions like "are you allowed to make tea while you drive". Recommendations & warnings always welcome of course.

One idiotic newbie question concerns where you can/cannot park up and sleep. Do you really need to book sites ahead? Do you need sites at all? Any "must stay" places? Any tried & tested island hop routes? Can you just pick a parking area or remote layby or are there any laws or bylaws etc stopping you. As you can tell, I'm clueless right now but I'm hoping to be an expert by the end of the week!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Harvey, hiring is a great way to find out if motorhomes are for you, some dealers will hire and then deduct the hire costs if you eventually buy. Any questions that you have, and I am sure there will be plenty, just find the relevant forum section such as Touring, or Technical and fire away. There are plenty of very friendly and knowledgeable folk here who just love to help. Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Harvey,& welcome :thumb: A lot is going to depend on where you want to stay ? and how long you can survive without hook up.I would think you will need to empty the loo almost every day with 4 on board and top up / empty water tanks.You can park up almost any where it is safe to do so- off road lay bys etc, but watch the kids on the road :Eeek::Doh:Woodland may be better options
Do a search of sites
The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK
that may be a better option for the first time as you will be able to ask other campers -how ?what ? and where ? after two weeks you will know exactly what you want to buy :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
edit forgot to say it may be a better option to go wild every other night to make use of showers,emptying and filling.MOST of all ENJOY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Harvey:welcome:
I agree with terry to start off go to sites till you get the hang of things, at least you will with luck have someone to help you out, motorhomers are normally a friendly bunch.::bigsmile:

After that play it by ear. There are plenty of sites in Scotland most seem reasonable but have never travelled in August I normally go early or later.
Scotish tourist board web site
Scottish Tourist Board - accommodation, activities, events and holidays in Scotland
They do a free map of sites if you phone them.In view of the possible increase in people visiting Scotland this year it might be as well to book a couple of sites to get you started, then see how you go, you can always phone ahead.

Do be aware of the midges take either a midge repellant of some Avon Skin So Soft replenishing body lotion this also acts as a midge repellant. They are mainly active from early evening till dawn.
Best of luck and welcome to a wonderfull hobby.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Harvy Wallbanger

Just to echo the last post, that Avon product is very,very good, apply liberally, after showers, will last most of the day. If poss stay away from water!!! to avoid the midges. If any of your family are alergic to the little blighters, get head netts thay do help with the defences.:Smile:

I would also suggest sites for your first journey, and as its August, I would book sites ahead if you can. Both the CC and the C&CC are talking about a 40% increase in advance booking now, for this year. Some site are already fully booked for the school hols period.:Sad:

Be guided by the tourists information, especially on the wild/free camping aspect, when we managed a campsite in Scotland a few years back, the Forest Rangers were moving units on when they found them in un-authorised areas....laybys..forest tracks...forest vehicle parks etc. but to be fare it was a very dry season!!

Having said that, Look on the web sites of the Caravan club (c/l sites) and the Camping and Caravanning Club (c/s sites), these are "five van sites" licenced by the clubs, on behalf of DOE, and can take 5 units per night. They supply at least drinking water and a chemical waste point, some provide w/c and showers, electric hook up. Each site entry shows what each site offers, and a guide on the price per night. Thay offer very good value for money in the main, and in August could be a life line for you.

I don't want to put you of, Scotland is well worth a visit, and we usually go early or later, it can be hetic in August, (thats our experience anyway) oh, by the way, WELCOME TO THE FORUM..:thumb:..and enjoy Scotland and your motorhome.:thumb:

Nomadic

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One idiotic newbie question concerns where you can/cannot park up and sleep. Do you really need to book sites ahead? Do you need sites at all? .

hi harvey and welcome to the FUN!!!

not an idiotic question at all.
you'll find most places in scotland are ok to park up and sleep but just use some common sense.

find somewhere out of the way and check how you could leave in a hurry. probably never happen but they do have yobs/boyracers in scotland too and the last thing you need is a bunch of idiots banging on your van during the night and not being able to move on..
dont park 'nose in' so you have to reverse out.
if you use a layby then try to find one off the road.....a lot of 'old' sections of roads are used as layby's and rest areas.

i did notice this weekend quite a few now have 'no camping/overnight sleeping' signs so watch for these.
i think the farther north you go the easier it is.

as others have said.....spend a couple of nights on proper sites to get the feel of it first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back