Equity Red Star (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Let me start by saying that we have insured our motorhomes through the Camping & Caravanning Club for several years and their policies (through Equity Red Star) which have included full European breakdown recovery, have always seemed very good value - and still do. But you only find out how good they really are when you have to make a claim.
In July on our way to a Morrocan tour reunion in North Norfolk, a 40 tonne HGV slid into the back of our van on the M42. Considering the weather (horrible) and th size of the lorry, the damage to us seemed light; bike rack ripped off and one bike squashed, but only minor dents and scratches to the rear panel and when I rang the claims help line (the third party had already made a full admission of liability) they lived up to their promise of a swift response from a replacement vehicle company and a local repair agent. These two rang me within the hour. Brilliant, or so I thought. Until the vehicle replacement company said they didn't know it was a motorhome and they don't have replacement MHs. Wasnt too worried about that because the van was perfectly driveable so we didn't require a replacement. But I had noticed that ERS had told me that if I used their authorised repair agent, I wouldn't even have to pay the excess. That was fine until their repair agent rang me asking if they could come and inspect the damage to my CAR!
Alarm bells began to tinkle. They were surprised when I told them it was a motorhome, not a car. Our bays aren't big enough for that, they said.

So I rang ERS and asked them to tell me the nearest local agent to me in Truro. "We don't actually have any approved MH repair agents on our list" they said. What?? And you are offering fully comprehensive MH policies?? Said I.
They then told me that I would have to source my own repairer and send in quotes and as I wouldn't be using one of their agents, I would have to pay the excess and reclaim it under the Uninsured Loss policy I had fortunately taken out. I knew I would have to claim the bike repair costs that way, but wasn't happy about what sounded to me like discrimination against MH policy holders, so rang the C and CC Helpdesk. They were "surprised" at ERS's response and to check it out, and rang them pretending to be a customer making a claim. They got the same answer! And they advised me they would be following this up with ERS at a high level, but that I should comply with their request in order to ensure my claim was dealt with.
So that's what I have done and at last, after several months, I have an approved quote for repairs and a new bike rack from Highbridge in Somerset and am now waiting to hear when they want the van taking in. Needless to say, I have run up a substantial amount of personal costs/expenses with more to come when we have to take the van to Highbridge and pick it up later.
The lesson for me from this, is that next time I renew the MH policy I will want absolute assurance that the underwriting company does actually have an approved MH repair agent. Not too much to ask eh?

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Wonder if that's why they were not able to renew motorhome policies at the beginning of September for around a week that I know of but I was told that the motorhome would still be covered while they sorted out a problem!

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wonder if that's why they were not able to renew motorhome policies at the beginning of September for around a week that I know of but I was told that the motorhome would still be covered while they sorted out a problem!
Could be! I sent them a complaint letter, they allocated someone to deal with me personally, and within the past two weeks they agreed to waive the excess and fully approve the repairs. That, at least, shows a degree of customer care, although it shouldn't take a complaint to get to that level of response. I never heard back from C and CC so still don't know what they did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I bought a policy on he recommendation of a dealer and when I need to claim for damage I had to ring ERS and they informed me that they didn't have any motorhome repairers mainly because they have no experience of motorhomes, I thought someone was having a laugh! It is so true that you find oit how good your policy is,is when you have to claim.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It took us 21 months for that shower to fail to return our excess for damage to our caravan (shame) that was damaged when we were neither in it, towing it or using it.

I had to complain to the Financial Ombudsman where, miraculously ERS paid the excess within a week.

They've got more chance of plaiting fog or stitching water than to get me to use ERS again . Ours was purchased through Adrian Flux.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its exactly the same with Caravan Guard subsidiary of one of the big 6
they have also have no approved repair shops for M/Homes