Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate`the your help.

Do I need to try to get an environmental badge before travelling to Germany? I am not sure if Helga (a 1992 Hymer 544) would pass the test? Has any one else got one of these badges?

Thanks

Helga

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You don't need anything more than a British registered, MOTed, taxed and insured van.

Where did you get the idea of anything more?:Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The badge is known as an umwelt plakette. You only need to display one if you intend to enter most cities (often including outskirts). They are red, yellow and green - basically Euro 2, 3 and 4/5 emission classifications (although vehicle weight can have an impact as well as engine specification). Your Motorhome would be given a red plakette and you might consider this not worth bothering with as many cities have now restricted access to yellow or green, and in some cases (e.g. Berlin) green only. Plakettes can be obtained online before travelling, but it is much cheaper to get one when you reach Germany. A commercial vehicle dealer for your base vehicle can issue one, or a TÜV centre (that's like an MOT test centre). They cost €5 if you get one this way. If you decide to get one, it should be displayed on the lower right of your windscreen (looking out forwards) i.e. GB driver's side.
So long as you stay out of cities (go in by bus, cycle or train) you don't need to display the plakette.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I tend to view low emission zones as an excuse NOT to visit the sprawling, polluted, festering pits of depravity that constitute most modern European cities!

The countryside and it's small towns and villages are much nicer!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The badge is known as an umwelt plakette. You only need to display one if you intend to enter most cities (often including outskirts). They are red, yellow and green - basically Euro 2, 3 and 4/5 emission classifications (although vehicle weight can have an impact as well as engine specification). Your Motorhome would be given a red plakette and you might consider this not worth bothering with as many cities have now restricted access to yellow or green, and in some cases (e.g. Berlin) green only. Plakettes can be obtained online before travelling, but it is much cheaper to get one when you reach Germany. A commercial vehicle dealer for your base vehicle can issue one, or a TÜV centre (that's like an MOT test centre). They cost €5 if you get one this way. If you decide to get one, it should be displayed on the lower right of your windscreen (looking out forwards) i.e. GB driver's side.
So long as you stay out of cities (go in by bus, cycle or train) you don't need to display the plakette.

As always, good advice from JeanLuc, he advised me when I posted comments about my onboard battery overheating, his advice was spot on, since fitting new battery everything back to normal,
And JeanLuc I must apologise for not thanking you at the time, very remiss of me, which I apologise for, Thanks mate,
Ken the Beerdrinker :thanks2: a beer is yours when we meet :drink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thank you very much that is one less thing to be concerned about.

Wow I love this site

Only 8 more sleeps to go.

Helga

Upvote 0

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Germany

Helga. Currently at my sons in Gutersloh and have just returned from Berlin.
We stopped outside Berling on a v good site with bus access to the City. We never drive INTO cities but pass through them on Autobanns and find sites outside so not a problem
Off to Kkoblenz and Mosel on Sunday.
What are you plans?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Helga. Currently at my sons in Gutersloh and have just returned from Berlin.
We stopped outside Berling on a v good site with bus access to the City. We never drive INTO cities but pass through them on Autobanns and find sites outside so not a problem
Off to Kkoblenz and Mosel on Sunday.
What are you plans?

Thank you

Our plans are to catch the ferry on Fri 14th park up at Bray Dunes wait for sueang to join us and then travel down into Germany stopping where we fancy, ending somewhere near Koblenz then head back through Luxemburg. We only have a week but we are so excited that we are packed and ready to go. What a shame work has to come in the way!!!
Only 8 sleeps to go!

Helga

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thank you

Our plans are to catch the ferry on Fri 14th park up at Bray Dunes wait for sueang to join us and then travel down into Germany stopping where we fancy, ending somewhere near Koblenz then head back through Luxemburg. We only have a week but we are so excited that we are packed and ready to go. [HI]What a shame work has to come in the way![/HI]!!
Only 8 sleeps to go!

Helga

Brilliant plan, you'll love it, some of us have to work to keep these old [STRIKE]retarded[/STRIKE] retired funsters in pension liquidity.....Griff :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back