Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all
I'm at the Peterborough Show and there are two stalls here offering engine performance retuning. One is a add on box and the other is a proper reprogram of the engine computer system.

Has anyone any experience of having this dine and what is the better option? The proper retune without the box is £199 and I am thinking that is probably best...

Richard

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The boxes often only increase fuel delivery, a proper, bespoke remap is the better, although more expensive option i.m.o.

frankw

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Funster No
Exp
Richard - no brainer, there's no desire to go back (which is simple and usually no cost) from a reputable, proven remap (I have no experience of the 'box').

Wouldn't purchase blind at the/any show unless you have spoken to fellow m/homers who have experienced that actual remap on the same engine as yours - many owners with actual experience on the forum. Dismiss those who are negative with regard to a remap and who haven't experienced one on their own vans - they will be talking through a hole in their head… enquire of @MH55FUN, if he has a remap/box fitted to his van, a search of his posts will confirm… or perhaps, he's just another Kinnock from Tredegar, rural south wales? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Hi Richard,
Had my Fiat X250 130 remapped in 2012 at Peterborough show by Alex at Boosters and have never looked back, the increase in power was noticeable driving it from the show ground first time and in 5+years have never had any problems and would certainly recommend Boosters for a remap.
Hope it helps
Nigel

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
New van in 2008, remap 2012 and as i said no problems at all. Had the conversion work done in 2010/11 FOC by Fiat when the judder problem came to light and pleased with that as it was out of warranty.

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Sorry.... thought that Paul and Kate were asking me age of the clutch, got it wrong:snooze:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If engine is out of warranty
Get it done. changed our old mh dramaticly made so much difference to the drive of it and increased mpg by 3mpg as there are less gear changes
Stage 1 remap should give around 30bhp but it's the torque where it counts

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sounds wonderful doesn't it, had my car done and very pleased some 8 years later.

However the motorhome, never.

Try searching the many many many threads on the same topic and see the results. Same question comes up year after year. Then you can review and make up your own mind.

In my experience the clutch lasts only so long and is prematurely worn and fails by an upgrade in power output, it's just a matter of time. Read the threads, as it will tell all.

Just remember that a motorhome is basically a fully loaded delivery truck, however delivery trucks get to run between completely empty to fully loaded. A motorhome is fully loaded 100% of the time and any increase in power being driven through a tiny clutchplate will have some form of effect on it, be it heat, slip or wear.

Good luck and keep us posted:)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Any experience of remapping with an automatic ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back