Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi is it worth having a motor remapped I have a 130 multijet fiat
Thanks paul

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
After an earlier discussion on here I had my 90bhp Skoda Fabia remapped by Superchips. It now has 134bhp and goes like stink (that's relative guys,ok. :ROFLMAO:) it also pulls much better and am now getting 55mpg instead of 49.
So, well pleased. And it only cost £365.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
there are some that will say yes as they've benefited from it, whilst there are others who would say never again as its cost them a fortune when it goes wrong - clutches going, gear box problems etc basically...if a remap goes wrong...it can go very wrong

From what ive read on here and having talked with some of the folks in the yes and no camp...it would seem that if you do...pick the company doing it very carefully!!

personally, i dont think i would on the van, did it once on a car a few years ago and whilst it improved it performance, others things weren't so good - it was a plug in type box on that though not a proper remap so that might be the difference, so easily rectified

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Depends what you're looking to gain, power or economy.
It will give more power but if you use it you won't get the economy but it will let you drive more gently to improve economy.
If it's economy you're after you will need to be doing a lot of miles to recover the cost.
Work on 10 to 15% as a max saving, at 6000 miles a year it could take 2 years to break even, will you keep the van long enough to benefit?

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What I don't get about remapping is the cost. I just had my hillclimb car mapped on a rolling road so the map is now spot on throughout the speed and load ranges and that took five hours and cost just shy of £400. Yet a bod comes along with a laptop and in 15 minutes uploads a new generic map to your diesel car or motorhome and it costs about the same as I paid for five hours of very highly skilled labour on a very expensive machine.

Why is remapping with a generic map so damned expensive?

D.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
What I don't get about remapping is the cost. I just had my hillclimb car mapped on a rolling road so the map is now spot on throughout the speed and load ranges and that took five hours and cost just shy of £400. Yet a bod comes along with a laptop and in 15 minutes uploads a new generic map to your diesel car or motorhome and it costs about the same as I paid for five hours of very highly skilled labour on a very expensive machine.

D.

Like most things, because they can get away with it.

Upvote 0

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
my son has had his fiat punto 1.9 multijet re mapped to about 175bhp had it done 2 years ago he drives it very hard and when he does it pumps out black smoke but boy is it fast, gets good economy when driven normal as well he took it to santapod with his mate in a Subaru only 1.5 seconds slower over 1/4 mile which upset Subaru driver go for it its a lot of fun to drive

Upvote 0

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015

D.

Those generic maps are to be avoided. Some right cowboys out there.

Always best to have a bespoke map for the vehicle done preferably on a rolling road (like your hillclimb car) no matter what the vehicle is.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
remapping a diesel engine for performance on a 3.5tonne non aerodynamic van is a fools game. the engines are tuned in the factory with the best settings for the drivetrain and emissions targets. when things go wrong, and they do, then it gets expensive putting things right. the remapping companies then deny any responsibility and point you to the small print

clutches tyres and some gearboxes wear out quicker and if the plans going on at the moment happen, then emissions will cause failed mots.

on the plus side the extra torque makes the van far better on a run, and a few mpg better if you drive slowly. but you have to ask yourself what you need it for and does the cost in remap and repairs make it worthwhile. it takes a very long time to pay for itself

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks paul

If you have a new van, re-mapping will probably void the warranty.

We have a one year old van, purchased from new, and have discussed this with the Fiat main dealers. They told me that Fiat will not accept warranty claims that might have been caused by any re-mapping. Fiat's attitude, it seems, is to buy a more powerful motor in the first place.

Another problem that you might have is that when you take your van in for service, software is often updated. This will remove the re-mapping that you have done and the mapping will be returned to the original settings.

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Different power levels from the same engine in new vehicles are essentially different mappings done in the original factory.

The difference is that when the manufacturer does it all other parts are tunes to match.

Friend of mine remapped an old Honda CRV. Worked fine except his clutch couldn't take the extra load. So he had a heavy duty clutch fitted. This was then so heavy it was uncomfortable to drive. So he sold the car.

You also need to make sure insurance is still OK - and it may well not be. I wonder of all the examples quoted here have been with insurance company agreement?

And as someone else says how the remapped chip copes with factory updates done routinely is a interesting question.

Personally I would not do this. Too many risks.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks paul

No my £250 remap by WOW has so far cost me the best part of £2k in damage and repairs. Initially I thought it was great having the extra power but unfortunately turned out to be the worst decision I made for a long time.
Save your money.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back