Engine Oil.....what A Carry On ! (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Our MH is based on a Transit MK7 Euro 5.

When I took it for it's first service the Motorhome dealer changed the oil. Fair enough. So I thought I'd buy an extra litre of the same stuff to have in the van for top ups if req. On the service sheet the garage had used Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C2. So off I went to Halfords. They did not have any C2, but lots of other Magnatec variants. Looking in the "which oil for your car" book it appeared that the Transit should have Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1. Confused now !!

So I went home and looked on the Castrol website. Again it said use A1. To get to the bottom of it I rang Castrol. They were exceedingly helpful, and confirmed A1 is the one I want, actually now superseded by A5. And that while using C2 would not damage the engine, it was not as specified by Ford and could invalidate any warranties on the engine.

I rang the MH dealer back and put all this to them. They said they had to put C2 in as MHs go to the Continent and the Continent demands low-sulphur oil !! And if the oil was dipped over there it would lead to a fine for not having the "right" oil. C2 is a slightly lower sulphur than A5.

Anyone ever been "dipped" in France ??

Strangely, the C2 is correct for Fiats etc, but not Fords, so the dealer just has the one big tank containing this oil. No-one has ever pulled them about it before.

The way I am thinking is, go out and buy Magnatec 5W-30 A5 and change the oil myself, then bill the MH dealers, unless anyone has other suggestions ? I won't have time to take it to the dealers before France and anyway, how would I have confidence that they would have actually changed the oil ?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
In the event of being,"Dipped?" by the French police and told i had the wrong oil in the sump,i would say......

"The people who......... Gassed and robbed me last night,must have stolen my oil and replaced it with this inferior muck... LOL!!"
Tea Bag

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Change dealer

Dipstick.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
"They said they had to put C2 in as MHs go to the Continent and the Continent demands low-sulphur oil !!"
So the inference is your motorhome engine burns oil :)
If it doesn't and it undoubtedly doesn't what difference does its sulphur content make to what comes out the exhaust (n)

On a serious note. Modern diesels are becoming more and more highly tuned/stressed so oil specification is critical. Not so long ago about 40 bhp per litre was the norm now we have 'standard' production engines producing over 80 bhp per litre.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What a load of crap.

In Europe the only thing different would be the make of oil, not the spec.
The ford spec will be universal as when the engine is factory filled nobody will know which country it will be destined for.

Sounds like the dealer uses the same (probably bulk tanked, oil in any and all engines.

Deleted User

When I took it for it's first service the Motorhome dealer changed the oil. Fair enough. So I thought I'd buy an extra litre of the same stuff to have in the van for top ups if req. On the service sheet the garage had used Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C2. So off I went to Halfords. They did not have any C2, but lots of other Magnatec variants. Looking in the "which oil for your car" book it appeared that the Transit should have Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1. Confused now !!

So I went home and looked on the Castrol website. Again it said use A1. To get to the bottom of it I rang Castrol. They were exceedingly helpful, and confirmed A1 is the one I want, actually now superseded by A5. And that while using C2 would not damage the engine, it was not as specified by Ford and could invalidate any warranties on the engine.

I rang the MH dealer back and put all this to them. They said they had to put C2 in as MHs go to the Continent and the Continent demands low-sulphur oil !! And if the oil was dipped over there it would lead to a fine for not having the "right" oil. C2 is a slightly lower sulphur than A5.

Strangely, the C2 is correct for Fiats etc, but not Fords, so the dealer just has the one big tank containing this oil. No-one has ever pulled them about it before.

The way I am thinking is, go out and buy Magnatec 5W-30 A5 and change the oil myself, then bill the MH dealers, unless anyone has other suggestions ? I won't have time to take it to the dealers before France and anyway, how would I have confidence that they would have actually changed the oil ?

I got dipped in Italy, my pocket to the tune of 1200 euros.

spongy

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The only change to oils I have ever heard of is a higher viscosity for places like Spain 5/30 for UK but 5/40 for Spain & Portugal areas. As said sounds very much like a lot of bovine excrement

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Hi Geordies, take it to the ford dealers,,I did £165.00 and that includes 12 months European breakdown.Excellent price I you ask me.
Lee.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Hi Geordies, take it to the ford dealers,,I did £165.00 and that includes 12 months European breakdown.Excellent price I you ask me.
Lee.

Yes, but at the MH dealers I got "engine service" (debatable now) and hab service for £210. Next year think it'll have 2 separate services !!

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
:roflmto:Having a giraffe . Oil is oil me thinks . As the buisies dipping you oil never heard such . Theyed get there hands dirty heaven forbid .:giggler:STAN

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Before we get carried away with this oil dipping malarkey. Think about it for a nano second. Used engine oil has all sorts of contaminants in it. It turns black within minutes of an oil change in a diesel engine. How are they going to tell what sort of oil was put in there 1000 miles previously by taking a sample from up the dipstick. Even if they did take a sample, it would be impossible to analyse it at the side of the road. I have had oils analysed when running trucks for a living and samples have to be sent to laboratories to be tested. The results can take weeks to come back. Best advice I can give is change your garage.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Best advice do it yourself. £50 max and you know it is done right unless you do not like the thought of dirty hands.

steve & ann. ------- teensvan

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Interesting, I have recently changed my oil (change every 6 months) 63 plate on a fiat however the garage have told me it's actually a ford engine in the fiat manual it specs 5/30 ACEA C2 Selina Pure K yet if it's a ford that differs from what you have been told
I did speak with Castrol tech department as the alternative was Castrol Magantec Professional 5/30 C2 but this is not available other than throu a dealer (not even on eBay) but the standard Magantec can be purchased anywhere the expert told me exactly the same oil but the pro version slightly better QC for the dealers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the expert told me exactly the same oil but the pro version slightly better QC for the dealers
Why would dealer supplied oil be any different to 'high street' oil.
Why would a dealer use anything of a higher spec than needed.

ACEA C2 is ACEA C2 no matter where it's destined for.

I reckon the castrol desk jockey was bullshitting.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Why would dealer supplied oil be any different to 'high street' oil.
Why would a dealer use anything of a higher spec than needed.

ACEA C2 is ACEA C2 no matter where it's destined for.

I reckon the castrol desk jockey was bullshitting.
Agreed, however its supplied with professional written on the tub so that's one difference from a manufactures point of view.
Tech support did indicate that the pro version is only supplied to dealers because it's also suitable for high performance vechicles and if you think about it PJ, if a dealer does an oil change and something goes pete tongue
It's there Problem if you do it with standard magnatec and the spec says pro it's your problem, but agreed probably a load of BS until something goes wrong

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Aside from making sure the spec is right, if I want topup oil (my car uses a bit between services) I take an old, clean oil can into the garage and get them to put 5l in it from their drum.

- It's guaranteed to be the same as is in the engine
- It's a damn sight cheaper! Modern long-life oils are expensive - even more so if you buy from somewhere like Halfrauds.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I often see some reet wonderful old toffee on forums... But by heck.. Dipping oil etc ???

Made my day that has !!!:rofl:

As a by the by, it is almost as bad changing oil too often as not often enough
All modern oils have a detergent component in them.,. That dissipates over the first couple of thousand miles.
Changing the oil every five minutes means you are running on detergent all the time..

Why oh why do people think they know more about the engines than the people who designed and built them ?
If the service interval says 12000 miles then change it at 12000 miles.. If it says 2000 miles change it at 2000 miles..

Then there are the poor sods who believe the story about oil needing to be changed every year no matter what the mileage done
I always thought it was a load of hooeeey but about 2 years ago at a seminar there was a tech bod from Morris Oils
I asked him about it ( in case modern oils contained something that mad ethem more unstable than in days gone by )

The reply was along the lines of:
Yes, there is a need to replace the oil every year as it makes the supplier rich.. Other than that there is absolutely nothing in the story spread by those that sell it at all.. When they start putting sell by dates on oil cans ask me again

I have used the same old crap ( 10-40 ) in all my bikes and vans for donkeys years.. I buy it from Vauxhall !! About £14 a gallon :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My Peugeot has a Ford 2.2 "Puma" engine, which I believe is the same as the Mk7 Transit, Land Rover Defender, some Jaguars and some export Range Rover Evoques ( and probably more).
My handbook States Total Quartz Ineo 5w-30. ( ACEA C2) Peugeot have just serviced it and put in Castrol Magnatec.
I am sure Land Rover and Jaguar specify different oils for their models.
They are probably all from the same oil tanker anyway!
(My Citroen C5 specifies B71 2290, which is also C2. )

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am confused ( not unusual some would say ! ) I need to top up the engine oil on my MH . . base vehicle Fiat Ducato 2006 2.8 JTD , no reference as to the spec in the Handbook, had a look at a couple of oil company sites who seemed to recommend a 10 - 40 semi synthetic, but then thought ( I do sometimes ! ) . . ring the dealer who serviced it last time . . . they said they used 5w 30 long life ? low sulpher . . Come on guys which do I go for ?.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back