Engine - lack of power

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I have just bought a new (very old) van.

For its age it is in great condition but when I picked it up today I was really disappointed with engine performance - no real power, had to work the gears hard to get it up to speed.

After about half an hours drive, thinking 'what can be wrong' I realised that the accelerator pedal did not have much 'travel'.

The previous owner had fitter a thin piece of carpet to 'protect' the original cab carpet.

Not only was this piece of carpet stopping the pedal going full down, the original carpet and sound deadening was as well.

Took out the carpets and deadening - full power - goes like a train.
    • (y)

Why did I think to check? ...............the same thing happened to me years ago

I can only think that at least a few previous owners must have been very disappointed in the van's performance

• :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Put the carpet back you will get more MPG(y)

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

take out all the over carpets, have the benefit of what might still be near brand new underneath

before you throw them make sure they have not covered up old stains though

When we bought our current MH the previous owners had been given a brand new set of carpets as the MH had been a demonstrator and they were quite worn, they left down the worn and we then got a brand new set of carpets, still in plastic wraps

They are now quite worn in fairness but they are to be used and will cost less than £100 to replace if we ever do, given all the other costs of ownership I don't mind changing them when needed

Have fun in it, now it goes at least, we will see you this coming week end in Sandy I see (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Cable maybe needs adjusting.
    It was originally made with carpet and deadener and would have had full pedal travel then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Why stop there, cut out a bit of footwell and flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:sneaky:

6. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

You are probably correct, pedal is quite a bit lower than brake or clutch
    • (y)

7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Bet the engine is as sweet as a nut now. Just think, all those years of refined running and only now is it getting full use :)

Just bit a little careful as an "elderly" engine can sometimes sprout the odd oil leak if they're "pushed" after such an easy life(y)

It must have felt fantastic to lift the carpet and ffffffffflyyyyyyyyyyy wheeeeeeeeee

• Like Like x 1