Engine flat spot

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Attila the Hen, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Hi all.
    I am new to the Fiat Ducato (130 Multijet 2011) and have a small problem with the engine. In first gear only, the engine revs up to 2300 when pulling away and then there is a distinct flat spot in the power for about 3 seconds and then the engine revs away as it should. Only first gear is effected, the power and revs are smooth and continueous in the other 5 gears - I have not tried reverse.
    Is this a feature designed to stop the engine over revving when pulling away? I have had a couple of panics where I needed to get away (relatively) fast at roundabouts and the flat spot held me back. Now I know it is there I just start to roll and immediately change into second and this lets me pull away with confidence but the day will come when I forget and someone will run into me.
    Any ideas please before I trust the Fiat to the local dealers.

2. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

WE have a Fiat 130 Multijet 2010 and ours does not do that. The only way to check it out is to get I on a diagnostic at a garage. I doesn't need to be a main dealer though.

KH

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Is it manual or Comformatic if the later it's quite normal gets better when the engine is run in at around 12000 - 15000 miles.

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Manual gearbox and 17000 miles - looks like a diagnostic is needed.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As far as I am aware there is no gear select sensor on the Ducato so you really do have a mystery one there !

6. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I had a euro 4 and now have a euro 5 130 multijet and neither of mine have had that happen, as suggested by others a diagnostics machine may throw some light on the subject.

I don't recall any other funster ever mentioning that problem I feel sure we would have had many posts on the subject if it was a common fault.