Engine does not charge leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2016
Herne Bay Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymerb694
Exp
4 years
My Hymer is a Fiat Ducato 2.8 2001, the engine will charge the starter battery but not the leisure batteries, however when hooked up to mains the onboard charger will charge both the leisure and starter batteries, any Ideas, I wondered if the split charger was broken as the engine charges the starter battery at a constant 14+ volts. Help please

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the engine is running, does the fridge work off 12v?

OP
OP
hymerb694
Aug 17, 2016
Herne Bay Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymerb694
Exp
4 years
No I checked that, had the engine running for half an hour and no sign of it cooling, on mains you can feel it quite quickly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok - this is a long shot but I had the exact same problem on my Carthago.
The split charger stopped working suddenly - so did the fridge, when running on 12v
It was a fault in the entire D+ circuit
Dealer traced the fault to a 50a fuse attached to the engine battery, which is the feed to the D+ circuit
I've now got a supply of these fuses, just in case it happens again.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We had this with the Adria, I think it turned out to be just a missing/faulty fuse on the engine/leisure battery preventing the split charger working. Will check with David when he gets back.

OP
OP
hymerb694
Aug 17, 2016
Herne Bay Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymerb694
Exp
4 years
I checked the big fuses in the engine compartment there were 5 and they all looked ok, according to Brownhills, I do not have a split charge relay, I found that strange??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Try the Schaudt website. The wiring diagram of the Electroblock will show the split charge relay.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
On my hymer b680 there is a 20 amp fuse in a block above engine battery it's the last one on the right looking into engine bay.
I had no leisure battery charge and no fridge when engine running turned out this fuse had blown . (y)
Just noticed yours is a fiat base vehicle but still worth a look.

OP
OP
hymerb694
Aug 17, 2016
Herne Bay Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymerb694
Exp
4 years
Hey success, there is a 3 amp fuse tucked away at the back of the engine compartment, as it is only 3amp it must be a control circuit, so no great load on it, I have also found out that there is no split charge relay either, it is done thru the fancy charger that is built in.
Thanks for your help, it spurred me on to find a solution, without a good torch I might not have found it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back