Feb 18, 2009
widnes
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 week
hi there
we have a elddis autostratus ck based on a 1998 peugeot boxer 2.5 d 88 bhp we have problems when we come to hills im for ever changeing gears i was wondering will a later day turbo engine fit straight in or will the engine mounts need to be replaced.i was thinking of a peugeot 2.2 hdi or any peugeot engine which will fit without to much trouble .
best regards john and teena:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure about the mounts, probably different.
as could the drive shafts/gearbox
could be wrong but i think the HDI engines have electronicaly controlled injection pump/injectors so wont be any use.

you probably need the turbo version of your original engine and the exhaust system to suit it.

or an aftermarket turbo kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

madozz

Free Member
Feb 18, 2009
widnes
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 week
not sure about the mounts, probably different.
as could the drive shafts/gearbox
could be wrong but i think the HDI engines have electronicaly controlled injection pump/injectors so wont be any use.

you probably need the turbo version of your original engine and the exhaust system to suit it.

or an aftermarket turbo kit.
hello
can you fit a turbo to a non turbo engine?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you can to a lot of engines.....even seen one on a Lada 4X4:Eeek:

type...aftermarket peugeot turbo kits...into a search and see what comes up.

only problem is a lot of non-turbo engines arent strong enough for the extra power of a turbo.:Sad:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
you can to a lot of engines.....even seen one on a Lada 4X4:Eeek:

type...aftermarket peugeot turbo kits...into a search and see what comes up.

only problem is a lot of non-turbo engines arent strong enough for the extra power of a turbo.:Sad:

Got it in one.Same goes for the transmission and brakes....

Plus the insurance needs to be notified and if it isn't done right.....:Doh:

You can get detonation due to different compression ratios of turbo and non-turbo engines too.

Last edited:
M

Mike-H

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike-H

Deleted User

Correct. The combustion chamber is a different shape (lower compression ratio in non turbo) and the pistons, conrods and crank are not built for the extra power of a turbo. I know because I looked into adding a turbo to my 1.9 motor. In fact, some early Peugeot 1.9 non turbo engines were wrongly fitted with turbos by the factory and had to be recalled.

You could look out for a scrap or very cheap van the same as your base vehicle but fitted with a more powerful engine. Buy it, then look for a mechanic that will swap everything over. Failing that, sell the MH and find one already fitted with a better engine.

Good luck :Smile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
may be pricey whatever way you go
£3500 exchange engine on a 1.9td fiat 1998
thats what it cost me for an engine exchange inc new clutch and water pump

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
I had to swap the engine in mine. £80 from breakers, £20 remove and deliver, £150 for a mate to do the actual swap with me helping and about £50 for new cam belt, oil, filter etc. Total £300 and one rainy weekend. I even got a guarantee from the breakers. No doubt a bigger engine will cost more but the other costs would be about the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back