Engine Battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xjrchris, Jun 3, 2015.

1. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Hi
    i went to start the van tonight and had a flat battery ? This is the second time in the last couple of months, i have taken the battery of and im charging it up ,can anyone tell me should i have a reading on a meter if i have the van is hooked up to the electric and the switch inside is on the engine battery ?i would have thought i would get a reading from the inhouse battery charger ,
    thanks chris.

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I agree with your logic, I have flattened my cab battery too often, but as mine is now nearly 7 years old I am considering changing due to age. I leave mine hooked up all the time, my problem is different to yours in that I flatten mine quickly under load of charge. As you keep yours on charge this really should not apply, possibly suggesting a charger issue, which in turn will cause the battery to fail.

Sorry not too much use, but I will follow thread to see if battery age is likely issue (y)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Thats fine.....As long as the switch is actually wired to the engine battery, it may not be ....which is what it looks like.

4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Without hook up check the battery voltage, if you have a tester, then put on hook up and check again, it should be higher showing it's charging. If it's not higher then it's not charging.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

My built in charger does not charge my Vehicle battery either.
    If it is outside catching some rays to my solar panel I have a cable (6mm sq) from my habitation batteries direct to my vehicle battery. Very simple and very cheap and works brilliant, frowned upon by many who prefer an expensive alternative.
    Or when on hookup and particularly when she is tucked up in her shed "resting" I have a Lidl "£9 special" battery charger connected to one of the 240v socket direct onto my Vehicle battery. I actually leave it hard wired on.

There are all sorts of mini drains sucking the life out of your batteries when your back is turned
    We are assuming your flatness is experienced while the van is laid up :)

PS I use the Lidl charger as it is a good piece of kit whereas all chargers on all vans are pretty crap

6. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Hi. Have you checked to see if your charger is switchable between starter/leisure battery. If not do as Moodybrook states run a link positive cable with a 15 /20 amp fuse between starter and leisure batteries. This works well. I have used this system on both my vans in the last 10 years with not one flat battery. Even better if you have a 120 watt solar panel and separate charger unit not even flat batteries over winter in UK with no hook up.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daisie

Daisie Funster

Hubby disconnects the engine battery when we are not using the MH for some weeks as he found out the alarm/isolater switch uses it. And only takes two ticks to reconnect.
    ps. when on hookup it only charges the leisure battery on our MH , never known hookup to charge engine battery on any of our 7 vans.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

When solar panel was fitted with a battery master, my vehicle flat battery problem disappeared. Before the solar panel, I always thought that leaving it on hookup would charge the vehicle battery; I was wrong. Why do MH manufacturers not make dual battery charging a standard feature?

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.. and totally incorrect.. how do you come to that conclusion.. ?

obviously I don't don't know about yours,and 'some' budget vans may have crap chargers.. but many, including my Hymer have a multi-stage charger..

Off EHU, solar panel and battery master will keep both house and engine battery in good shape.

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Nothing wrong with our CBE 16 amp mains charger either! Batteries 7 years old with full capacity, left on EHU at home!

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi John.. yes.. does it work with no EHU ?

12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Both my old Geist (2008) and my new Frankia (2015) charge both the bank of four Hab batteries and the Engine Start battery on hook up.

Off UHU the same applies via the electrobloc or Schaudt. Whilst it does exactly the same, I believe it delivers to the more used or needy first.

I'm pleased your Lidl charger works well, but but is one of those items I would specify a well known brand like my smoke and CO2 detector or my hydraulic jack.

13. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

had batterymaster fitted at vanbitz no problems

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not as far as I know.

There are others, namely Jean Luc who have better knowledge of them.

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

My 2008 Adria's Schaudt Electrobloc charges both habitation and starter batteries when on EHU and when using solar panels. And I am able to check the condition of both sets of batteries on the control panel.

16. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Regarding charging engine battery while on hook up. Forgot to say that most UK builders do not use the Electrobloc charging system but this is standard fitting on German vans. Far better

steve & ann. ------------- teensvan

17. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Our PVC charges either battery while on hook up, and without hook up the solar keeps the leisure battery topped up and the battery master takes charge from that to keep the engine battery topped up - sounds faultless, and has been up to now (y)

18. karl c

karl c Funster

19. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Ok i charged the battery up last night of the van and checked it this morning ,its was reading 12.99amps i left it of the van and checked it when i got home from work and its now reading 12.87 ? Is this normal or is it time i bought a new one ? If i buy a new one wheres the best place to get if from ? Thanks chris

20. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

If everyone in the world owned a black cat, someone, would have the blackest, Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez !