cam belt changed 1 month back just to be sure
Going along A 12 Essex to Suffolk
For a couple of days break
Strange noise engine wise stopped with smoke all around
rac arrive and says not cam belt
Towed off A 12 to services on a rigid pole triple scary
Camshaft moves when engine turns over

Recovery arrives says two dogs travel in your m/h
Under no circumstances in my truck boss will not allow.
Contact rac who agree no livestock in recovery truck
Bites the bullet time of we go stop regularly to check
our babies
25 miles in all to home

Fun starts when you get home
Ring round repairers they say can you drive it over
none starter says I we cant move it no recovery truck
Call the rac yes we will move it under 10 miles
Over 10 miles £100
garage 15 miles pay up

So all in all a good time not 1 wasted day

just wait and see what insurance cover will pay

edit 1998 purchased 09/08

Last edited:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
What engine is the ducato. Symptoms you describe indicate the cambelt may have jumped a tooth, this would cause the funny noise and smoke due to the timing being out. How many miles have you driven since the cambelt was changed. Also doble check the cam shaft is rotating and not the sproket come come loose. I have known people forget to torque the camshaft sproket bolt and the engine runs ok untill the key way shears and the sproket turns on the cam shaft. With out more info on type of engine and a bit more info on what happened unable to give a better diagnosis. Although you had it done a month ago it certainly seems that a failure on the instilation has possibly caused the failure, if that is the case then you have a claim against the company which did the job for you. I would recommend it be inspected by a garage independent from the one that did the job for a warranty claim
Rich

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
What engine is the ducato. Symptoms you describe indicate the cambelt may have jumped a tooth, this would cause the funny noise and smoke due to the timing being out. How many miles have you driven since the cambelt was changed. Also doble check the cam shaft is rotating and not the sproket come come loose. I have known people forget to torque the camshaft sproket bolt and the engine runs ok untill the key way shears and the sproket turns on the cam shaft. With out more info on type of engine and a bit more info on what happened unable to give a better diagnosis. Although you had it done a month ago it certainly seems that a failure on the instilation has possibly caused the failure, if that is the case then you have a claim against the company which did the job for you. I would recommend it be inspected by a garage independent from the one that did the job for a warranty claim
Rich

1.9 turbo diesel
warrenty(mb&g) is via supplying dealar 4mnths to run
called mb&g they pay for covered repair but not diagnostics ?
vans being taken to where my works vehicle is maintained by rac for £100 ,15miles:Eeek:
dont know whats wrong till they look
rac man got me to turn it over with filler cap off
shaft turned
your probaly right about belt jumping
think a tensioner might have gone for a rest
thing is watched the fella that changed the belt( i am nosey really)
appeared to do a professional job
thing is before the belt change
van needed many gear changes going up slight inclines 5-4-5-4
rowing it along so to speak
belt changed 5th gear over 40 climbed all the essex suffolk& norfolk mountains:winky:
no probs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Did you have just the belt or the kit put on ( belt and tensioners) we always recommend having the kit fitted . We offer the choice to our customers but most vechicle manufactures will not guarentee the belt unless the kit is fitted.If the engine still turns over it may be the injection pump has gone out of time Being a 1.9 it sound's like to me to be the early fiat engine or possibly the xud engine. On the xud engine I have experienced a piece ( rib) of the alternator belt breaking off and entering timing belt cover, causing the cam belt to jump a tooth . I have then fitted a new cam belt and the engine has sustained no internal damage and this matches the symptoms you have described.Fingers crossed you may be lucky.
Rich

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Did you have just the belt or the kit put on ( belt and tensioners) we always recommend having the kit fitted . We offer the choice to our customers but most vechicle manufactures will not guarentee the belt unless the kit is fitted.If the engine still turns over it may be the injection pump has gone out of time Being a 1.9 it sound's like to me to be the early fiat engine or possibly the xud engine. On the xud engine I have experienced a piece ( rib) of the alternator belt breaking off and entering timing belt cover, causing the cam belt to jump a tooth . I have then fitted a new cam belt and the engine has sustained no internal damage and this matches the symptoms you have described.Fingers crossed you may be lucky.
Rich

kit as far as i could tell fella
said not much pricewise between good quality and others
new belt resembelld old belt
annoying thing is i used to do my own work
but cant manage it these days
no maual available (book type like haynes)
and time constraints

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
. On the xud engine I have experienced a piece ( rib) of the alternator belt breaking off and entering timing belt cover,

Rich, yep I can vouch for this..

I do have a spare Lucas XUD 1.9TD engine lying about the place, worst case scenario ::bigsmile:

(although I would need to remove it from it's present donor this week)

ps.. the last 4 alleged cambelt failures I have fixed for people, were all tensioners, not belt breakage :O

john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back