engine and van choice help please (1 Viewer)

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
started to look for a new (to us) van layout decided upon. We have seen a rapido 7086f that ticks all the boxes If the dealer will fit new tyres(cracked walls) and maybe adjust screen price for cash. BUT it is a little older than first envisaged so has the 2.8 fiat engine 2005 vintage rather than the new euro 4/5 or whatever any thoughts should we try and find same layout with new style engine?
Also it has an alco chassis am I right in thinking I cannot fit a tow bar to these chassis if so no deal not going without our lovely bike on trailer.
Any thoughts on coachbuilt rapidos in general thanks in advance Mick and Hazel::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in preference I would personally say newer is better

alko chassis, of course can have a towbar fitted. not an issue, just needs to be the correct one designed to just bolt on

as its an alko chassis has it been maintained and greased correctly and frequently. its now reaching the sort of age their axles fail at if not regularly greased in the correct manner

if the tyres have been left to deteriorate, check for other gaps in maintenance. but of course the dealer should repair and replace anything like that before purchase.

its an excellent time to buy now as winter is on the way and dealers need to get rid of stock rather than have it devalue on the forecourt before spring. or wait a few months and make a cheeky low offer nearer christmas is often a good way to get a better deal

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
well im sure you can fit a tow bar on an alco chassis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have a rapido 785f on fiat chassis,you can fit a towbar on alko no problem.as for build quality rapidos are exellent.i bought mine new in 2004 not had one problem up to now.I have 2.8 engine no problems.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The 05 engines are fine, you must use synthetic oil though. You can add a towbar to an ALKO chassis - what you MUSTN'T do is drill any more holes in it! Alko have enough holes already present to fit a towbar. This won't cause any issues, unless it is a tag axle - in the tag axle version, they are made to carry weight, and not tow it which means you towing capacity is all but useless.

A normal size van you will be fine with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back