End of a dream ?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by scotjimland, Jul 4, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

End of a dream ? Well yes I suppose it is.. but not the end of travelling... nor the end of dreaming !

Jan and I have decided to give up full timing.. there are many reasons, some are practical and some are family related but mostly we just don't want to do it any more.

We are planning to move back to Scotland, eventually sell George and buy a smaller motorhome, perhaps a panel van conversion.. We are not giving up travelling, we love that too much, but with a panel van we will hopefully be able to explore many more far flung regions and countries.. but that is all in the future..

Fulltiming is not for everyone, but until you try you will never find out, I don't consider it a failure or wish we hadn't tried it.. far from it, we have had a fabulous time, but when you stop enjoying it or feel it's not for you it's time to think again..

Good luck to all, we will keep you informed of our progress.

Jim and Jan

2. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

We enjoyed meeting you all when you visited Parc Verger, and wish you all the best in whatever you do in the future. You're right in saying about your love of travelling - that has shone through all of your posts, so we'll look forward to reading about your activities in future.:thumb:

Bob and Di

3. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

All the best of luck for the future Jim, Jan and family:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

What ever road you go down, I hope you enjoy.

Must admit I have admired you for doing something I have always thought about doing but have never had the gutt`s to try. :thumb:

5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Jim

I am sure that you have thought long and hard and that you have made the right decision for you and your family. Our best wishes to you for the future, please keep in touch with us here on Fun.

Brian

6. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

As long as you have had a ball Jim it doesn't matter what you do next, have a ball doing that too ! Who knows you may even do it again at a later date. Wish you had been able to come over and see us but maybe when you are in your smaller van.
    Good luck in your next venture. :thumb:

7. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

I wish you all the best for the future Jim, Your posts have beeen invaluable for me during the few days I have been here.

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

I have only known you for a short while via the forum, and have enjoyed your posting's and feel I know you.

Enjoy whatever you both decide to do, as they say as one door closes another opens. As we go through life changes happen what was right once is not always so.

Enjoy Scotland it is a wonderful country and still enjoy traveling when you are able.

Best of luck for whatever you decide to do

Dave:thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Jim,
    There are those that do and there are those that want to do going to do but never do.

You my friend have done it and you will always be able to say that.

So good luck with whatever you decide on next. Be nice to return to Scotland but as you Know Nikki & I and the boys love the place. With Nikkis brother living in Auchterada would you be so kind to move a little further north pehaps on the West coast or one of the ski resorts. Oh could you get a place bigger enough for our van with electric hook up? :Wink::Rofl1:

Good luck Jim, Jan and the youngen. :thumb:

10. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Hi Jim

Iv'e done the same thing fulltiming for 15yrs and like you loved every minute of it,there is the downside to that way of life and its not for everyone.

I wish you luck in whatever you do, just see it as a new adventure.

Regards

11. patr

patr Read Only Funster

Jim

It has always been a pleasure to read your posts (on all of the sites!) and I hope that you will continue to contribute your well reasoned, humerous and impartial advice despite this change of direction and lifestyle.

I wish you and your family well in whatever you decide to do but remember that whilst you can take the man out of the motorhome, you can never take the motorhome out of the man......(or woman)!

God speed and all the best.

Sealbh math dhuit.

Pat

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I felt by some of your post over the last year this was coming but boy have you been to some places.

Put money on it you'll never regret your days in George.

13. Baggins

Baggins Read Only Funster

All the very best for you and the family for the future.

I've been on and off 'the road' three times in over 35 years and different stages of family life and don't regret a moment.

Regards

BW

14. Griffs

Griffs Funster

Hi Jim & Jan,

We're sure that you will continue travelling once you've settled in Scotland & possibly enjoy it more once you have your base to return to. Travelling is all about the journey whichever way it's embarked (that's why the Dutch who seem to use every which way to reach different ends of the Earth, are to be admired!) Also your experiences so far will give you many happy memories.

We hope to keep hearing from you on Motorhome Fun & thank you for being a pivotal part of it.

Griffs:Smile:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  15. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Some guys have all the luck first full timing and now settling down in Scotland!
    I echo everything that has been said and then some-keep in touch.:thumb:

16. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Good Luck Jim and Jan - you're going to love that panel van when you get it (but make sure you choose the right one as making beds up from cushions after the RV may not be so enjoyable) - a very liberating experience changing down - go anywhere, park anywhere loads of free camping and relaxing driving - no toad necessary and no suicide seat:BigGrin:

We haven't regretted it (well may be a teensy bit) but have got to places we would never have considered in the RV.

:Smile:
    Keith

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi jim , its not the end of the world,its nice to return home . travelling is not about the destination or the journey full stop it can be coming home with the view to going again. it lets you apreciate going away then apreciate the sitting in an arm chair on return. remember though its cold in scotland in winter, see you in the sun. on the road i hope . keep having fun dont have regrets just do it different next time.

18. The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones Read Only Funster

Sad to here that Jim, you obviously enjoyed the lifestyle:Sad:, glad to hear you will still be able to enjoy travelling with a smaller mh & all that it offers though:Smile:, including your contributions on this site, that I for one enjoy reading!!:thumb:

Howard

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Jim not really the end of a dream, just another step, a slight change of direction. You will no doubt have noticed that fulltimers tend to travel less due to the high fuel cost and site fees. Downsizing frees you from a lot of those costs you will be able to travel more if you so wish. Personally I think I would relocate to the middle of the country rather than Scotland as everything then comes within reasonable reach in one days travel without pushing it. But thats only my opinion. You will no doubt continue to post as you have always done and we look forward to reading your missives. Good luck and enjoy the next stage. when you do downsize make sure it is under 3.5 ton so you don't fall foul of the licence restriction as you get older. Maybe a fulltime wannabe on here will make you an offer for George, maybe even a part exchange, who knows. keep all your options open.
    GOOD LUCK

20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Jim
    I have nothing but admiration for your chosen lifestyle and the courage it must take to try it out,I don't think I could do it. What you have taught us all here, is it wont kill us to try it, and there is always the option to return to bricks and mortar should you decide its the way for you, that I think takes as much, if not more courage than the original decision to full time.
    Its been a pleasure meeting you and your family, and I hope we will still meet up again in the future, in fact im sure we will, with your new found freedom you may even make more meets than ever
    Dont be a stranger on here even after you have moved, your experiance and advise will still be worth its weight in gold to many, wishing you all you wish yourselves :thumb:
    Geo & Pammy