End of a dream ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
End of a dream ? Well yes I suppose it is.. but not the end of travelling... nor the end of dreaming !

Jan and I have decided to give up full timing.. there are many reasons, some are practical and some are family related but mostly we just don't want to do it any more.

We are planning to move back to Scotland, eventually sell George and buy a smaller motorhome, perhaps a panel van conversion.. We are not giving up travelling, we love that too much, but with a panel van we will hopefully be able to explore many more far flung regions and countries.. but that is all in the future..

Fulltiming is not for everyone, but until you try you will never find out, I don't consider it a failure or wish we hadn't tried it.. far from it, we have had a fabulous time, but when you stop enjoying it or feel it's not for you it's time to think again..

Good luck to all, we will keep you informed of our progress.

Jim and Jan

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We enjoyed meeting you all when you visited Parc Verger, and wish you all the best in whatever you do in the future. You're right in saying about your love of travelling - that has shone through all of your posts, so we'll look forward to reading about your activities in future.:thumb:

Bob and Di

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What ever road you go down, I hope you enjoy.

Must admit I have admired you for doing something I have always thought about doing but have never had the gutt`s to try. :thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Jim

I am sure that you have thought long and hard and that you have made the right decision for you and your family. Our best wishes to you for the future, please keep in touch with us here on Fun.

Brian

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
As long as you have had a ball Jim it doesn't matter what you do next, have a ball doing that too ! Who knows you may even do it again at a later date. Wish you had been able to come over and see us but maybe when you are in your smaller van.
Good luck in your next venture. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I wish you all the best for the future Jim, Your posts have beeen invaluable for me during the few days I have been here.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jim

I have only known you for a short while via the forum, and have enjoyed your posting's and feel I know you.

Enjoy whatever you both decide to do, as they say as one door closes another opens. As we go through life changes happen what was right once is not always so.

Enjoy Scotland it is a wonderful country and still enjoy traveling when you are able.

Best of luck for whatever you decide to do

Dave:thumb::thumb::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Jim,
There are those that do and there are those that want to do going to do but never do.

You my friend have done it and you will always be able to say that.

So good luck with whatever you decide on next. Be nice to return to Scotland but as you Know Nikki & I and the boys love the place. With Nikkis brother living in Auchterada would you be so kind to move a little further north pehaps on the West coast or one of the ski resorts. Oh could you get a place bigger enough for our van with electric hook up? :winky::ROFLMAO:

Good luck Jim, Jan and the youngen. :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi Jim

Iv'e done the same thing fulltiming for 15yrs and like you loved every minute of it,there is the downside to that way of life and its not for everyone.

I wish you luck in whatever you do, just see it as a new adventure.

Regards

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Jim

It has always been a pleasure to read your posts (on all of the sites!) and I hope that you will continue to contribute your well reasoned, humerous and impartial advice despite this change of direction and lifestyle.

I wish you and your family well in whatever you decide to do but remember that whilst you can take the man out of the motorhome, you can never take the motorhome out of the man......(or woman)!

God speed and all the best.

Sealbh math dhuit.

Pat

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I felt by some of your post over the last year this was coming but boy have you been to some places.

Put money on it you'll never regret your days in George.

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
All the very best for you and the family for the future.

I've been on and off 'the road' three times in over 35 years and different stages of family life and don't regret a moment.

Regards

BW

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi Jim & Jan,

We're sure that you will continue travelling once you've settled in Scotland & possibly enjoy it more once you have your base to return to. Travelling is all about the journey whichever way it's embarked (that's why the Dutch who seem to use every which way to reach different ends of the Earth, are to be admired!) Also your experiences so far will give you many happy memories.

We hope to keep hearing from you on Motorhome Fun & thank you for being a pivotal part of it.

Griffs:Smile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some guys have all the luck first full timing and now settling down in Scotland!
I echo everything that has been said and then some-keep in touch.:thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Good Luck Jim and Jan - you're going to love that panel van when you get it (but make sure you choose the right one as making beds up from cushions after the RV may not be so enjoyable) - a very liberating experience changing down - go anywhere, park anywhere loads of free camping and relaxing driving - no toad necessary and no suicide seat::bigsmile:

We haven't regretted it (well may be a teensy bit) but have got to places we would never have considered in the RV.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim , its not the end of the world,its nice to return home . travelling is not about the destination or the journey full stop it can be coming home with the view to going again. it lets you apreciate going away then apreciate the sitting in an arm chair on return. remember though its cold in scotland in winter, see you in the sun. on the road i hope . keep having fun dont have regrets just do it different next time.

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Sad to here that Jim, you obviously enjoyed the lifestyle:Sad:, glad to hear you will still be able to enjoy travelling with a smaller mh & all that it offers though:Smile:, including your contributions on this site, that I for one enjoy reading!!:thumb:

Howard

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Jim not really the end of a dream, just another step, a slight change of direction. You will no doubt have noticed that fulltimers tend to travel less due to the high fuel cost and site fees. Downsizing frees you from a lot of those costs you will be able to travel more if you so wish. Personally I think I would relocate to the middle of the country rather than Scotland as everything then comes within reasonable reach in one days travel without pushing it. But thats only my opinion. You will no doubt continue to post as you have always done and we look forward to reading your missives. Good luck and enjoy the next stage. when you do downsize make sure it is under 3.5 ton so you don't fall foul of the licence restriction as you get older. Maybe a fulltime wannabe on here will make you an offer for George, maybe even a part exchange, who knows. keep all your options open.
GOOD LUCK

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jim
I have nothing but admiration for your chosen lifestyle and the courage it must take to try it out,I don't think I could do it. What you have taught us all here, is it wont kill us to try it, and there is always the option to return to bricks and mortar should you decide its the way for you, that I think takes as much, if not more courage than the original decision to full time.
Its been a pleasure meeting you and your family, and I hope we will still meet up again in the future, in fact im sure we will, with your new found freedom you may even make more meets than ever
Dont be a stranger on here even after you have moved, your experiance and advise will still be worth its weight in gold to many, wishing you all you wish yourselves :thumb:
Geo & Pammy

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Me being one of those "would love to, probably never will do" can I just wish you Health Wealth and Happiness in whatever you do.
At least you can stand tall and say "I DID IT".

Green with envy, Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sad news Jim but its your life and you must do with it as YOU please.

itll be hard work living in bricks and morter full time again.:winky:

cutting the grass, painting the windows, trimming the hedge, clearing the gutters......are you sure you want all that?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What can I say.. we are both overwhelmed by your words of kindness and encouragement .. what great people motorhomers are, thank you one and all..

Never the end of dreaming and certainly not travelling .. just a crossroads and a change of direction .

I hope my post hasn't deterred anyone who is thinking of full timing from forging ahead .. that was never the intention.. if it has maybe you aren't ready for it .. but there is only one way to find out ...

We look forward to meeting up at meets and shows whether we're in an old tranny or RV makes no odds .. motorhomers are a special breed .. travellers and adventurers at heart

Good luck to you all and once again thanks to those who supported us and to those who gave help and advice when we first set off ...

bon voyage .. safe travels to you all..

now where is that aires book ... :roflmto::roflmto:

Jim n Jan

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, I remember the posts on facts when we were counting down the days to you and Jan hitting the road. They were exciting times, just as I am sure the time ahead will be. Nothing stays the same, that's a fact.

Whoever buys your rig will get a very nice well looked after outfit,and I look forward to seeing what ice cream van you choose for future travel. Whatever you end up doing Jim, don't be a stranger here, your input would be sorely missed by many. Best of luck, best wishes and blue skies. :thumb::thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Jim, Jan,Chas and Mylo

I read your posts on a regular basis and I know that you will not leave motorhome FUN. This site is so addictive and I feel that I know you and your family personally including Mylo and also all the regulars on this forum, although I have not met many (only wildman and upmarkethippy)

I love travelling in my motorhome, but to be true the best part of the holiday for me is the end of it when I know I am going home. On the day we decide we are going home, it is none stop all the way home. I have travelled 1000 miles in one day, just because we had made our minds up and once made up we just want to be home.

Mind you Ilfracombe is such a beautiful part of North Devon, it is a wonder I ever go away, :winky: :Smile:

Then after a while at home we are ready to hit the road again.
We are off to Liverpool next Friday, my aunties 95th birthday. Will be parking up in my sisters drive. Looking forward to that.

I would like to add my wishes of happy travels and FUN to you and your family and make sure that you stay on FUN, your wealth of experience is needed, especially for people like me.:Blush:

Keep having FUN

Lesley

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
failure! not at all!

Failure! I don't think so, you have done it! What an acheivement! What an adventure, all those wonderful memories too ::bigsmile:

Nothing wrong with coming back to the good old mother land, for a wee break because I have no doubt that you will be off again, after a re-charge; it's in the blood ! :winky:

Hope my hubby & I get a chance to do what you have done one day, you are an inspiration to us all - good luck for the future :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I fully understand this point, a luxury you don't have when you are full time because you have no home ..

I love travelling in my motorhome, but to be true the best part of the holiday for me is the end of it when I know I am going home. On the day we decide we are going home, it is none stop all the way home. I have travelled 1000 miles in one day, just because we had made our minds up and once made up we just want to be home.

Full timing practicalities can all be worked out , no problem, but you can't prepare your self mentally for being an itinerant .. and you won't ever know unless you try.

I'm no stranger to travel and living abroad, been an ex pat for 20 odd years but not having a base has unsettled us both and once you feel that it's hard to disperse ..

My advice to anyone thinking on a full time travelling lifestyle is to try to keep a base, a one bedroom flat or even a residential caravan .. Purists will argue that this is not full timing, and they would be correct, but so what.. what does it matter what you or others call you.. it's your life.

Age is another factor, in your 20s .. go for it .. life is in front , have a blast .. but once you reach or are close to retirement .. a whole lot of other factors have to be dealt with ..

As for forums .. I'm as addicted as the next person .. as long as I have a dongle I'l keep on posting ...

Jan says the other dongle hasn't posted in ages :Doh: .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi jim

I know how you must be feeling, I full timed in the 656 for 18 minths and loved every minute of it. now settled down with Edwina but if the chance ever arose again, I would certainly think about it. Best wishes for the future

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Jim you have always and hopefully still will be one of the sage's on the forum, always well thought out and balanced posts. I to remember the kitchen window on Facts that you used to look out while waiting to full time. However there is no failure for a change in direction, that what makes for an interesting life. Who said better to have loved and lost than not loved at all.
So you have done your dream of full timing, now it's time to chase another dream, at least you have have done something, it's always easier to do nothing.

We have just returned from a month in France, enjoyed it, but glad to be home looking forward to the next trip.

Best of luck to you and your family, looking forward to your next installment.

Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back