end ladders & roof storage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Mar 25, 2013.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

as fairly new to this and only had MH 9 months I am beginning to get the storage sorted out but see lots of vans with ladders on the ends of them, is this just to make it easier to get on the roof for cleaning ?? Don't see many with roof storage but I could be wrong, so the question is are the ladders expensive ?? do I need one ?? and can you store items like chairs windbreaks etc on the roof

2. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I am concerned about permanent ladders as the roof vents on most commercial motorhomes don't seem up to much from a security point of view. I used to carry collapsible ladders.

4. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Very good point, I never considered that. Once in my MH you can unlock most things from the inside!

I used the telescopic ladders because im tight!

5. camocam1

that is a very good point which I had not thought about, be interesting to hear what others have to say on this one

6. Terry

Terry Funster

On the SB we put one on purly for asthtic reasons and I got it for fifty quid :Wink:Then we got a roofbox in which we carry 2 chairs :BigGrin:No problems walking on roof :thumb: but hardly ever wash up there as no one ever sees it but me :thumb:A bit dangerous after a drink or two it gets wobbly up there or that could be me wobbling :Doh::Wink:
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=76
    terry

edit forgot to say rack and box costs aprox 4 mpg :Wink:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. Larby

Larby Funster

and can make your height exceed 3 metres so shoving you from Class 2 to Class 3 on a French Toll-Road.

8. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

I have large roofbox fitted to rear of roof,(fitted by previous owner he also fitted a large section of chequer plate beside the box to stand on) Would be lost without ,it stores all my seats barby etc.Engine is 2.9 sprinter My fuel consumption is always between 25-27mpg dont think without the roofbox would get over 30? The overall height is 3.18mtrs,been up and down France on toll roads never been charged any extra.

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Before rb fitting we got 31 after 27 same 1500 mls trip plus it knocked 10 mph off top speed :BigGrin:
    terry

10. Spenders

Spenders

Camocam..... I've got a large roofbox on the roof of my MH and am looking to get rid... you can have it if you want it!!

I've poked my head over the top of the ladder and can't imagine that I'd want to go tripping the light fantastic across the roof to load and unload the roofbox, so don't envisage it ever being used... all it's doing is costing me mpg!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Whether you have a roofbox or not depends mainly on age and mobility. I can imagine they are a useful item for the young family motorhomer to put all the camping stuff in, but to be honest it would be the next best thing to useless for me as I have no intention of climbing up and down on the roof of my bungalow motorhome.

12. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Good point, fortunately I dont have a problem:Smile:

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I found a roof box very useful when travelling with 3 boys when they were young. It held things like chairs, tables. The roof rack on occasion held extra bikes, as the rack would only hold 3 and on one trip I carried 6. The wardrobe as the only other largish space was full of inflatable boats paddles and other assorted stuff. Clothes were stuffed in roof lockers.:Smile:

I don't have a roof rack or ladder now, but was quoted £700 for the official ladder.

14. camocam1

thanks for all the replies will need to give some further thought but looks like ill give it a miss at the moment, thanks for the offer of the box spenders

Anyone had a beeny box fitted ???

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

16. yokeljohn

yokeljohn Read Only Funster

end ladders and storage

I,m glad i,m not the only one Dereckerick, my 17 ft kayak goes up there as well, plus fishing rods,paddles,a big holdall with all my gear in. I have fixed some strips of lightweight chequer plate to give the roof protection, and to stop me slipping when the roof is wet.
    The roof rack and ladder was fitted as part of my plans when ibought the van new, and could not imagine being without It. yokeljohn.

17. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Yep and that then becomes expensive storage, was shocked last year at Class 3 pricing. Need one of the Whacky Racers cars that lowers itself down:Smile: