Emptying Water Tanks

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by The Old Man, Jun 27, 2016.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

So after a weekend away I parked up the van today but before parking up I went to the dumping area.

So I dumped the remains of the fresh water tank, emptied the water heater tank and dumped the grey tank.

I have left the drain plug out of the fresh water tank but replaced and tightened down the top inspection lid.

The drain tap to the heater tank is also left open, as is the drain tap to the grey tank.

My thinking is that this allows some air to circulate in the tanks and this may be advantageous, but I'm thinking about rodent incursions through the open drain holes. They couldn't go far from the fresh water tank but the grey water tank must have pipes that lead to the shower and sink plug holes.

Am I over thinking this?

How do others leave their tanks?

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

personally i have always drained thoroughly then closed valves etc but vented by leaving sink taps turned on with pump switched off

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Hi I Leave all mine open after emptying then close including taps when filling,rodents don't swim very well:LOL:(y)

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Are you over thinking this?

Yes

5. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Have read on here that a mouse did get in a tank and caused a terrible stink as it died. I hate the pesky things so shut all stops valves and holes!!

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Empty waste tank and close valve, dont want and dribbles do we!, I dont drain the fresh water tank or water heater unless its going below freezing for a couple of days, I did check the date and its not an old pre winter thread so are there people who drain everything down even though they are going to need it again soon, I dont understand why you would vent the tank through the taps or anywhere for that matter.

Martin

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Get him!

Burn the grey waste dribbler!:)

get-barnhart.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

although it should not make any difference and all piped fresh water is supposed to be potable, the taste and quality of water varies from place to place. some is so highly flourinated that nothing could survive in it. however some supposed fresh water tastes foul and i dont want it tainting the tank and pipework. for the same reasons we use a 2 gallon insulated container to get fresh drinking water each day

if you think fresh water doesnt go stale, why do hospitals change all bedside jugs at a minimum of daily. also if you have dogs, they can taste the difference between fresh water and a bowl that has sat there 24 hours

also some water supply companies have problems with bugs like ecoli and strep c in their supplies amongst other nasty bugs harmful to your health

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Granted if it tastes foul I would be tempted to get rid of it as well, water in a clear jug and in sunlight will certainly go green after a while as will a clear/opaque container outside a caravan but I believe in a black tank and in the dark in a MH floor it will last well.

Everyone to their own of course.

Martin

10. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I'm the same Martin, I drain the waste tank and that's it, I only ever boil the water anyway, never drink it straight from the tap

• Like Like x 1
  11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Never empty the tank

• Like Like x 1
  12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We keep our fresh full, and grey empty, and at the end of the year I dump and clean them both. When we depart a site, I dump the grey and fill the fresh. That way we are always ready to go at a moments notice.

14. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

A moosie getting into the tank has been mentioned but if the drain bung was left out and the vehicle is parked for a week or more perhaps a slug or a snail could slither in! :eek:

KH

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We keep ours full most of the time, it's topped up regularly and we use the onboard water for everything although I prefer my cold drinking water with a few hops and a bit of malt in it!

16. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Two winters ago I had mice in my grey water drains, they damaged 3 of the 4 draining pipes within the motor home, nightmare to fix

Close all drains, I had left the grey drain open, l don't do that anymore !

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

I'm convinced :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

I never thought of that. I always left the fresh water tank bung in but the grey waste tap open. Not any more though... :eek:

KH

19. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

I've absolutely no idea how they did it! , l guess the food smell attracts them,

20. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I drain our fresh water and grey waste before we leave a site and if heading homeward I leave the bungs and taps open (grey waste closed because at the first chance we buy 3 cheap 2 ltr Cokes and pour down the drain to give the grey waste tank a good swill)

Always blow down taps and shower hose and wipe out Fresh Tank after arriving home.

Reason I drain?- - - - weight!