emptying a cassette down a toilet (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why would there only be a public toilet available on a camp site? Surely an Elsan point is required in order to qualify for a licence or exemption certificate isn't it? Even meet/THS sites have a suitable manhole at least.

the most basic site I was ever on was one in Cornwall.. at Portscatho.. we used it many times during the 80s and early 90s..

Arthur the farmer who owned the land had just dug a trench with a JCB.. about 10 mts x 3mts deep..

after emptying you just threw some soil on top using the shovel provided.. there was no water.. it had to be collected form the public tap in the village.. IIRC it was about ten quid per week..

sadly when Arthur died the land was sold ... it is now a fully developed camping and caravan site .. we've never been back..

Treloan Coastal Holidays

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...82d7c1d81!8m2!3d50.1754921!4d-4.9792361?hl=en

Arthur's old cottage..
still there https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1...SXn9qtCbrUjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the most basic site I was ever on was one in Cornwall.. at Portscatho.. we used it many times during the 80s and early 90s..

Arthur the farmer who owned the land had just dug a trench with a JCB.. about 10 mts x 3mts deep..

after emptying you just threw some soil on top using the shovel provided.. there was no water.. it had to be collected form the public tap in the village.. IIRC it was about ten quid per week..

sadly when Arthur died the land was sold ... it is now a fully developed camping and caravan site .. we've never been back..

Treloan Coastal Holidays

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...82d7c1d81!8m2!3d50.1754921!4d-4.9792361?hl=en

Arthur's old cottage..
still there https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1...SXn9qtCbrUjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
A couple of years ago we went to a THS at Llangollen where there was a similar arrangement except that it was a "pond" at one end of the farm field into which one emptied the cassette. Strangely enough it didn't pong for some reason, even though there was obviously a mix of chemicals going into it. There was a fresh water tap at the other end of the field though.

Still an Elsan point rather than a public toilet though :D

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Why would there only be a public toilet available on a camp site? Surely an Elsan point is required in order to qualify for a licence or exemption certificate isn't it? Even meet/THS sites have a suitable manhole at least.

I think you and I have had different experiences concerning campsites, as regulations and practices can differ from one country to another as can enforcement of any regulations. It is also the case that the original question refers to being "on site", and not specifically a caravan park, which is what I assume you mean. The last site I was on had a hookup and a toilet and a nice view and nothing else.

Cambridge English Dictionary definition of a campsite is: a piece of land where people on holiday can camp, usually with toilets and places for washing.

I have definitely been in more than one caravan park where there was no useable dump point, although I can't remember what country it was in. Greece, Australia or New Zealand seem the most likely candidates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think you and I have had different experiences concerning campsites, as regulations and practices can differ from one country to another as can enforcement of any regulations. It is also the case that the original question refers to being "on site", and not specifically a caravan park, which is what I assume you mean. The last site I was on had a hookup and a toilet and a nice view and nothing else.

Cambridge English Dictionary definition of a campsite is: a piece of land where people on holiday can camp, usually with toilets and places for washing.

I have definitely been in more than one caravan park where there was no useable dump point, although I can't remember what country it was in. Greece, Australia or New Zealand seem the most likely candidates.
I was thinking only of the UK and of a site as somewhere organised, be it a permanent caravan site or a temporary (rally type) site. I think this is what the OP meant as it refers to "an actual waste point". Having said that, some sites might designate their toilet for use as the waste point - but that wouldn't be a public toilet in the sense of being available for the general public (which is what I thought you meant).

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
So long as you flush it clean, it all goes to the same place
and finally it helps your vegetables grow.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
They dumped 2 cassettes a day down (2 different vans - both friends), so could in theory of not been using any chemicals. The toilet being where it was situated would of had its own waste tank which would need emptying at some point. i did say, if everyone did that, the tank would be full in no time.

The site policy does state no emptying of cassettes in the normal toilets whatsoever.

It was disappointing to watch as both vans were obviously seasoned motorhomers looking at some of the kit they were using around the van.

other motorhomers / campers nearby, looked on in disbelief as they brazenly did it. I wouldnt of fancied using the toilet after that had been chucked down it.
Why didnā€™t someone grass them up to the wardens, the wardens could at least have a quiet word and explain why they shouldnā€™t do it.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
You can't beat a good toilet thread, much better quality subject and very gentile abuse.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Can someone explain if it's normal practice for people to empty their waste down a normal toilet on site, when theres an actual waste point that could be used?

my impression was they couldnt be ar**d to walk or move their vans to the disposal area, so every morning dumped it in the normal toilet block.
Why would they need to move their van? My cassette comes out I carry it to the waste point and empty it. I have emptied it down the toilet at home but never on a site. They only hold around 18 litres so even full will only weigh around 19/20 kgs.
Not exactly heavy.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
You can't beat a good toilet thread, much better quality subject and very gentile abuse.
Now there is a debate going on Toilet thread or Grey waste vote now.

1612545818788.png

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
A tip that I think I got from here was brewer's yeast tablets. I put 3 in the cassette during warm weather and 4 or 5 if it's cold - we do empty our cassette every day (2 adults & 3 kids mean I have to!). So easy to do, a big pot of tablets is only a few pounds on Ebay, the smell is more pleasant than the horrible blue chemical, it's environmentally better and it shouldn't matter if it ends up in a septic tank.

I seem to remember that an old farmer's trick to get a new septic tank going with bacteria was to chuck some dead rabbits in there!
I thought they went in the cider to start it?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
My son did a code brown when I took the cassette to the loo to empty. šŸ¤®

A French lady admonished me once for putting my grey water down the wrong drain. She told me to use the chemique point. It was a toilet on top of a concrete block and three feet high. The waste master was too heavy to lift that high without a hernia. šŸ˜«

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
In 2009, we were on a pitch on a campsite in a Moroccan oasis, which contained a toilet block just 10 metres from a crystal clear natural pool with large fish swimming in it. The spring feeding the pool was the revered Source of the Blue Messki thought by locals to have healing properties.
A German motorhomer walked up with his cassette and emptied it into the pool!

source bleue meski location voiture maroc.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You need to be careful dumping in public loos :)

Around 5am one morning I went with my full cassette to the Chichester cattle market toilets. I had a small rucksack that was used exclusively for carrying the toilet cassette, along with a bleach spray and paper towels to clean up if necessary. I saw that one of the 4 cubicles was occupied but couldn't hear anyone, so maybe it was locked and out of order.

I carefully and slowly emptied my full cassette, woosh, dollop, woooosh dollop, whooosh, spladoosh This woke a drunk scottish guy in the locked cubicle

"Jeeeeeesus Chriiiist are you awright pal?"
"Aye I'm fine mate, or I will be in a minute"

I left the loo giggling like a child.

A very similar thing happened to Pusser, (bless im) he's a better story teller that me. This is a scanned page from his book, Pussers progress.

View attachment 106177
I remember the smurf story he told. I bought his book I will have find it and read it again. The man was a legend at story telling.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I don't even need to re-read the book, just thinking about the swinging couple and him being a voyeur brings tears to my eyes.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
So how green and friendly are the toilet cleansing chemicals :Harpic Domestos etc that we continually pour down our domestic Loos ???

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
The re-re-birth of a good BOG thread.

Someone at Chester last week had dumped a cassette down one of the toilets next to the chem waste and blocked the thing šŸ˜Ø, probably as the waste tanks was pretty high up(large plastic tanks) and there was some "spillage" on the tops of them.:sick::sicker:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
So how green and friendly are the toilet cleansing chemicals :Harpic Domestos etc that we continually pour down our domestic Loos ???
Iā€™m more concerned about how green and friendly my Gruppenfuhrerā€™s detritus will be when I indulge in a little cassette emptying down our home toilet today. :sick:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Iā€™m more concerned about how green and friendly my Gruppenfuhrerā€™s detritus will be when I indulge in a little cassette emptying down our home toilet today. :sick:
After a bit of searching around my garden I've found the sewage drain. I've bought a cover key so my cassette no longer has to go anywhere near my house. I even have a garden tap nearby for rinsing it out

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Fitted one of these when soil stack got broke in the Spring Gales.
20220426_083135.jpg

Seal the drips from bathroom and repaint old pipes and then no more jobbies in the house.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Emptying twice a day, why would you bother with chemicals. Might be nothing but pee in there, loads of assumptions being made.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Fitted one of these when soil stack got broke in the Spring Gales.
View attachment 610729
Seal the drips from bathroom and repaint old pipes and then no more jobbies in the house.
It would be more comfy with a seat!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back