Empty Bottles? (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I ran out of gas the weekend (no jokes please) and thought i'd just pay for some and swap the bottles over but when removing both the bottles from the van i found they were not calor but macgas, they are the same size and colour bottle as calor and 6kg, but the warden/farmer was having none of it:Sad:

will i have problems getting this gas or can i just buy calor bottles and swap them over?

ROB&JANE

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its butane the bottle connection/regulator may be different so to buy calor bottles may also mean buying and fitting a new connector/regulator.

propane should be the same fitting with any bottle.

it can be hard to find a stockist for spurious bottles

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It looks like MacGas is a northern/Scottish supplier so you could have problems getting it in the south.... Link Removed

Probably best to bite the bullet and buy Calor cylinders which are easilly available in the UK but not abroad (may also need new tails). The alternative would be a refillable system such as Gaslow or an underslung tank.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I ran out of gas the weekend (no jokes please) and thought i'd just pay for some and swap the bottles over but when removing both the bottles from the van i found they were not calor but macgas, they are the same size and colour bottle as calor and 6kg, but the warden/farmer was having none of it:Sad:

will i have problems getting this gas or can i just buy calor bottles and swap them over?

ROB&JANE

Come on Rob
Running out of 1 gas bottle is unlucky, run out of 2 is careless

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If you go in to a garage and ask, they "MAY" offer you to fill out a form and exchange for Calor bottles. It's Calor's way of making sure you keep your buisness with them in the future.

I think the form is called a loyalty form.

Also try an independent DIY store. We used to use flowgas and changed everytime to whatever he could bother to give us. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could google flogas see if there is a depot by you. i have a flogas depot at the end of my road . they ont charge deposits or refill agreement charges and are abit cheaper than calor.
not all propane uses the male thread like calor. it seems to be getting more varied every year. there are other options but i shant mention them here .
its not gaslow they are expensive . hee hee. or them others .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could google flogas see if there is a depot by you. i have a flogas depot at the end of my road . they ont charge deposits or refill agreement charges and are abit cheaper than calor.
not all propane uses the male thread like calor. it seems to be getting more varied every year. there are other options but i shant mention them here .
its not gaslow they are expensive . hee hee. or them others .
Good idea Alan....if you only runout at home :Doh::winky:

flogas will still have limited outlets.

Macgas is the Scotish arm of Handygas in England...but still limited outlets.

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
When i bought the van one of the bottles was empty and looking at them i thought they were calor but now i know under close inspection they are not.
They certainly look the same and the regulator is identical to what would fit on a calor bottle so will now be looking out for some.:thumb:
Still cant my electric blanket to work off gas:Doh::ROFLMAO:

if anyone has any laying about i will be travelling to Rochdale tomorrow and will gladly pick them up:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
even empty calor cylinders change hands for about £10, as the deposit is so high and without the original form you cant claim it back

if a calor supplier takes in a different make cylinder they get charged for the deposit thats why they wont do it

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
even empty calor cylinders change hands for about £10, as the deposit is so high and without the original form you cant claim it back

if a calor supplier takes in a different make cylinder they get charged for the deposit thats why they wont do it

Unless they are nice and fillout the loyalty form I mention. :winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When i bought the van one of the bottles was empty and looking at them i thought they were calor but now i know under close inspection they are not.
They certainly look the same and the regulator is identical to what would fit on a calor bottle so will now be looking out for some.:thumb:
Still cant my electric blanket to work off gas:Doh::ROFLMAO:

if anyone has any laying about i will be travelling to Rochdale tomorrow and will gladly pick them up:thumb:

Rob
Try your local council skip yard, I've had great success going there, usually loads of empty bottles, give the attendant a couple of quid and he'll give you a bottle. You can then exchange it for calor butane or propane gas or even the new lightweight gas bottles for £2 extra

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have some Calor bottles surplus to requirements, but Eastbourne is a long way from Rochdale.
Are you going to Camarthen ??

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Afraid not going carmathan, but will visit local tip:thumb:and recheck the regulator. thanks for all the feedback.

ROB.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Afraid not going carmathan, but will visit local tip:thumb:and recheck the regulator. thanks for all the feedback.

ROB.
I got a couple of 13kg red calor gas bottle up for grabs, we could sort something out, we live in Great Bentley :thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I got an empty one from my local council refuse yard, they usually have a cage with all sorts of bottles, and it saves having to pay the deposit.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa .arent flogas nation wide.
but two bottles and a list from flogas could be the answer . they also have loads of smaller retail outlets that do their bottles just like calor. i was suprised back along to find the depot its on the ind.est. i just hadnt been round there . they also do autogas .last price was 74.3 a litre . but its hard you can have calor and not find a outlet with out driving about.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Our local Flowgas stockiest never charged a deposit on bottles and even gave free regulators if you did not have one to fit the bottle :winky::Smile: Unfortunately he has now retired :cry:
He said he was happy to make money from the gas bottle sales and he got regulators free from Flogas :winky:
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

ROB.

Go to your local flogas or other retailer - you will find empty calor dumped outside - just help yourself and go to calor!

That said, flogas are not usually that fussy over what bottle you bring in!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back