Emersion heater (1 Viewer)

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
We have a Truma water heater, but it is not fitted with an electric immersion element.

Is it possible to retro fit one or would I need to get a new boiler to achieve this?

Not sure what model number it is, but it's fitted in a 1993 Hymer 534 and I think it a 10ltr jobbie.

Val.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As far as I know it will be a new unit, don't think you can upgrade a gas one.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
don't know for sure but look on the boiler casing...if it has a largish brass bung/nut then its just possible you may be able to retrofit one.

but it will need all the associated wiring and switch as well.

have a look Link Removed and see it yours is listed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure what Truma model your Hymer has. If it is a C-series (the C3400 / C6000 were the earliest) then you can get a 230V heating collar to retrofit. It is a 450W unit, so not that powerful (1/4 that of a decent kettle). I have never been tempted as I am very happy with the efficiency on gas, and we use sites with mains hook-up as little as possible.

The link below takes you to the Truma instructions and accessories section. (It is part of the German Truma website and you don;t see it when looking at TrumaUK.com. Have a look around and see if your unit is there. Then click on the 'accessories' link below the relevant image to see what is available.

Philip

>> Link Removeds <<

hymerbeliever

Free Member
Mar 23, 2010
Funster No
I have fitted one of these...very easy to fit (remove top cover, side cover and front control box) and simply the best accessory I have purchased. It does not provide mains air heating but heats the water to a good temp very quickly. Here's one:

Link Removed

I believe the Truma part number is 34141-01. Here's one here:

It comes with a matching CBE type switch that you can visibly mount alongside your heating control panel. Being mean I fitted mine with a standard neon mains switch & back box in the heater cupboard so that I could remove the collar without trace if I ever sell the MH for another!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Val,

I enquired with Truma UK about three years ago, re upgrading our C3400 boiler with the electric water heating belt.
Their technical department said then, that for the cost of the parts and fitting, we could buy an awful lot of autogas. It just wasn't viable, and they also said that water temperature wouldn't be hot enough to shower with anyway.

HTH,

Jock.

hymerbeliever

Free Member
Mar 23, 2010
Funster No
Hi Val,

I enquired with Truma UK about three years ago, re upgrading our C3400 boiler with the electric water heating belt.
Their technical department said then, that for the cost of the parts and fitting, we could buy an awful lot of autogas. It just wasn't viable, and they also said that water temperature wouldn't be hot enough to shower with anyway.

HTH,

Jock.

It does actually get VERY hot and what's nice is (because the site's electricity is free) you leave it on 24/7 so there is always lovely hot water to wash up/shower etc. What you'll find on gas is that you'll need to only run it when needed...otherwise you'd soon run out of gas and it would cost loads. Plus it takes ages to warm up and you avoid the wait. I think the money is worth it to have the luxury of instant hot water 24/7. If you are careful how you fit it, you can remove it before you sell your van and get your money back by selling on or fit it to your new van. Easy to fit for a competent DIYer and it comes with good instructions here>>> Link Removed

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It does actually get VERY hot and what's nice is (because the site's electricity is free) you leave it on 24/7 so there is always lovely hot water to wash up/shower etc. What you'll find on gas is that you'll need to only run it when needed...otherwise you'd soon run out of gas and it would cost loads. Plus it takes ages to warm up and you avoid the wait. I think the money is worth it to have the luxury of instant hot water 24/7. If you are careful how you fit it, you can remove it before you sell your van and get your money back by selling on or fit it to your new van. Easy to fit for a competent DIYer and it comes with good instructions here>>> Link Removed
The words of an experienced and happy user of the heat belt. :thumb:

From Oct to March, our water is on 24/7 anyway when we are out in the MH, even if heating isn't required. In the summer time we turn the boiler on an hour before we need hot water. It's not very often that we are on hook up anyway, and with a bulk gas tank we tend to not run out of gas. With only two 6Kg cylinders, it would certainly be an issue.:Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
val-h

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
Thanks guys,

Some interesting arguments there. I'm not sure what model it is, I'll have to unpack the wardrobe again to have a look as it's uncertain from the instruction manual.

Cheers Val.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back