Elna Lotus SP . Portable Sewing Machine 1972 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ScotJimland submitted a new Showcase Item:

Broken Link Removed

The latest edition to my sewing machine collection.. not a Singer..

An Elna Lotus SP, made in 1972 .. and runs like a Swiss watch..

Is it better than the beautiful Singer 222k portable.. ?

Lets put it this way.. The Singer was made in Scotland from girders.. the Lotus made in Switzerland from old pocket watches. The former will still be working in another 100 years time.. not so sure about the Elna..

It's like comparing a Steam Engine with a modern Electric train..

But oh how it sews.. it truly is a lovely bit of engineering.. quiet, accurate and a joy to use.. and oh so small...

The attached images are from the seller in Germany .. so not high quality..

The Best Portable Sewing machine ever made..

probably..

Broken Link Removed

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I sold loads of them!I think they were £49 for the zz and £59 for the sp.The only thing that ever fails is the bottom gear!still replace the odd one!although I,ve retired.Singer 222/221k fail on the electrics!seen a lots of them with perished wiring!

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My wife was given one for her 18th birthday, and it is still going strong! Over the last 45 years, it has been used for clothes for us and our three children, home furnishings, curtains and much more. Still runs perfectly, and is used regularly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I sold loads of them!I think they were £49 for the zz and £59 for the sp.The only thing that ever fails is the bottom gear!still replace the odd one!although I,ve retired.Singer 222/221k fail on the electrics!seen a lots of them with perished wiring!

Good ones fetch a bit more these days.. £100 to £180 for an SP in top condition.. they fetch more in the US.. upwards of £250 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...lna+lotus+sp.TRS0&_nkw=elna+lotus+sp&_sacat=0
ones in need of repair or sold as spares around £50 ..

there is one in the New York Museum Of Modern Art , MOMA .. http://www.moma.org/collection/works/4067

The wiring is fine in both my Singers 221 and 222 but as you said it can perish.. I've replaced it in older machines..

what have your retired from?

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The only thing that ever fails is the bottom gear!still
You spoke too soon.. :(

Mine has just failed, replacement being supplied by the seller.. hope it's an easy job..

Any tips on changing and re-setting the timing will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

The former will still be working in another 100 years time.. not so sure about the Elna..

I'm sure now...:rolleyes:

IMG_0295.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@robrace

New gear arrived today and I spent this evening changing it.. not too difficult, .. but resetting the timing took a bit of patience..

Jan is now a very happy sewing bunny

The old gear looks like it is made of a brittle plastic... unlike the new one which is white and probably nylon..
IMG_0306.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back