hymer584

Free Member
Jun 8, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My fridge has stopped working (freezing/cooling interior) on gas even when alight. It works normally on 12v and 240v.

Any suggestions please?

OP
OP
H

hymer584

Free Member
Jun 8, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for your reply Ash, but as a female on the wrong side of 60, not sure what the element does or where it is located. Sorry if I seem a bit thick!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The element is the heating element and it makes the fridge go cold on 12 volt and mains, nothing to do with the gas side of things.
If you are sure that its lit on gas,and I mean sure...Its best to check outside where the fumes come out to make sure that its lit, it should get cold,the only reason it wont is if the coolant has seperated...but if that were the case it wouldn`t get cold on 12 volt and mains.
Thats why I ask if your SURE its lit.

Upvote 0

metz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi, If the fridge is working on 240v & 12v but not on gas then the fridge is in need of a service, even if lit it may not be producing enough heat in the right place, probably a partially blocked burner, flue problem, etc, a service should solve your problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hymer584

Free Member
Jun 8, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks to all for replies to my problem.

I have assumed that the gas is alight because the ignitor is not clicking. Plan A: I think I will go to the van tomorrow (it's in storage) and light the fridge on gas - I will then take off the bottom outside grill and if necessary the cover over the pilot light to actually see if there is a flame. If there is and the flame looks satisfactory I will go to Plan B: Locate a service engineer!

Thanks once again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Rather than trying to dismantle the covers over the burner whilst it is alight, why not light it and than after about 10 minutes, put your hand over the flue in the top vent to see if it is warm? I periodically check mine this way.

Philip

Upvote 0

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
My fridge has stopped working (freezing/cooling interior) on gas even when alight. It works normally on 12v and 240v.

Any suggestions please?[/QUO

had same prob when on site at stratford, Ash suggested i needed a service, got in touch with a company repaircare service and parts replacement ÂŁ113 , 3 month guarantee being done on thurs, will give feed back, my van is a vw topas , fridge is electrolux RM4217, Hope this helps, Ash did tell me it needed servicing

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)

Any suggestions please?

I've posted my way of servicing the fridge onto other websites, so might as well give the funsters the chance to have a go. And it's fairly straighforward.

You've got to dismantle & clean the burner assembly, remove the jet from it, and replace with new one, and clean the flue.

Here's how to do it:-

Remove bottom fridge vent.
Remove the shiny tin wind sheild from around the burner assembly, this will be held in position by 1 or 2 small screws, and will require tugging a bit, but it's only thin tin and will take this. Then remove the union nut between the gas inlet pipe and the 'square' section assembly. The gas jet is 'held' in position between the end of the gas pipe and the burner. Then disconnect the small cable (gas ignition cable) and the thermocouple line (thin bendy metal pipe). You'll wonder were all the muck comes from during this dismantling !
Give the burner a good banging and poking and cleaning with a pin
Then take the top fridge vent off.
Remove upper section(s) of flue, these are usually quite loose and don't need to be gas tight. You'll see / feel a thin steel wire which is hooked over the vertical flue lowest pipe, pull this up. A 'swirl plate' is attached to this, and will certainly be covered in carbon This needs cleaning till it shines. Then get a flue brush or something to clean / push through the remaining length of flue. I always put a sheet of white paper a the bottom of the flue to see how much rust, sh*te, etc falls down.
Then put it all back. I'm convinced that this will cure your problem.

regards
Allen

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back