Electrics question/problem? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Just bought a 2008 Elddis Autoquest 140, brand new to the joys of owning a motor home. Hooked it up to house electrics to see how everything worked before setting off in it this weekend and think we may have inadvertently blown something as follows :-

As you enter the van there is a black switch near the floor on the right hand side. I was in the van testing the small lights worked. Wondered where the switch was for the bigger lights - not realising at this point they're on the lights themselves - whilst wife was standing outside at the door. The black switch at the door being at her level she tried it, on and off, it not being the switch nothing happened. However when I then tried the little lights again, none of them worked. I'm guessing the switch at floor level by the door is something to do with the electrics. All the switches on the main fusebox in the cupboard appear to be on so thinking we've blown a fuse somewhere? Hoping that's all it is anyway.

If it is a fuse my next problem is I don't have any 'manuals' for the Peugeot side of the van so no idea where fuse box actually is nor any kind of diagram to see which fuses are which. Alternatively if it's something else that we've done that can be easily rectified hoping the wealth of experience here might be able to help :)

PS. I'm not that great mechanically/electrically but can follow any instruction which doesn't assume I am!

Thanks, Ian

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't think the pug manual will help much.
Have you got the elddis one or can you download from internet ?
Or maybe ring the dealer
Good luck hope you get it sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
A picture of switch you think caused the problem may help
I thought step switch as well but it would more likely be a rocker type switch returning to the central position when released..
And is it just lights that don't work now or just some of them...
Andy

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Hi folks and thanks for the reply. Have discovered the switch is an isolator switch and I'm hoping all that's happened is that it's blown a fuse. With the aid of the previous owner I've found the fuse box for the MH piece - under the rear bench seat on right hand side of van as you look at rear, located behind the leisure battery compartment should anyone else find themselves in the same predicament! - and have been advised the fuse in question may be the undocumented fuse which forms part of the wiring between the fuse box and the ventilator cover attached to back of leisure battery. Off to procure said fuse shortly and fingers crossed this is as expensive as our mistake gets.
Cheers, Ian

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ian
Start a little note book with all the things you discover about the van
a handy referance for the future

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think you have found out now , but that switch switchs all the lights off, handy when you go out as you can leave all the lights on then switch off there as you go , then when you come back when you open the door you can switch all the lights on to go in(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might add it also switchs everything else as well so you can't leave heating on while you are out, but not fridge.

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
A picture of switch you think caused the problem may help
I thought step switch as well but it would more likely be a rocker type switch returning to the central position when released..
And is it just lights that don't work now or just some of them...
Andy
No lights working and voltage meter showing charge on battery - which had near full charge before it happened - now showing nothing.

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Think you have found out now , but that switch switchs all the lights off, handy when you go out as you can leave all the lights on then switch off there as you go , then when you come back when you open the door you can switch all the lights on to go in(y)
Yeah but unless what happened was a coincidence this seems to have blown summat :( Though what your saying makes sense and seems like good hint/tip...perhaps it's been something else that's occurred but right now not sure what. The fuse the previous owner pointed to me didn't look blown but tried a replacement anyways but no joy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No lights working and voltage meter showing charge on battery - which had near full charge before it happened - now showing nothing.
So you have no lights ,but if that's all that isn't working , it does sound like lighting circuit fuse... have you pulled and checked the other 12v fuses on the habitation side... ??
I don't understan what you are saying about your battery voltage.. are you saying your battery voltage is low now ??
Andy.

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
So you have no lights ,but if that's all that isn't working , it does sound like lighting circuit fuse... have you pulled and checked the other 12v fuses on the habitation side... ??
I don't understan what you are saying about your battery voltage.. are you saying your battery voltage is low now ??
Andy.
There are two lighting fuses on habitation side which I checked but neither appears to be blown. Within the van there is an electrical control panel which before the problem occurred showed the battery voltage was high, after the problem the needle is sitting on zero and doesn't move regardless of the switch setting i.e. either VEH or Aux. Hope that's a little clearer.
Cheers, Ian

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There are two lighting fuses on habitation side which I checked but neither appears to be blown. Within the van there is an electrical control panel which before the problem occurred showed the battery voltage was high, after the problem the needle is sitting on zero and doesn't move regardless of the switch setting i.e. either VEH or Aux. Hope that's a little clearer.
Cheers, Ian
I'm not really been much help Ian. .. but if the panel is showing its getting no voltage then it sounds like the a main fuse or relay that supplies the habitation side is at fault... but if other 12v circuits are working that is not the case..
I can only suggest using a meter to check for voltage at your 12v fuses and trace the wiring back from there if you don't have wiring diagrams. .
Someone who is familiar with your vehicle may well still come along...
Andy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cheers, Ian
Yeah , that's what you get, when the switch at the door is off so that is whereto look first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back