barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
O.k folks,be gentle with me.Been a funster for 4 months now and only asked one other question!Where to start,my comprehensivley equipped old Merc,"Matilda"since you ask.(I fancied Astrid but that's another story)Anyway she came with everything but instructions,so,re zig panel.It has a three way switch with two little diagrams.One looks like a caravan and cannot remember what t'other one depicts.Centre possitition on switch I took to be off.(As you do!).When I hook up to mains,lights come on if I've left them in on pos.(Keeping up?)If I flick switch to right,needle on dial goes up to 13.7 or so.However,when I flick to left needle is low.I need to know whether she charges batteries automaticaly when I hook up,or whether I have to move zig switch over to left or right?With switch in centre (off? )position I am able to use the 240.v.plug sockets.:helpsos: Yours .

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
O.k folks,be gentle with me.Been a funster for 4 months now and only asked one other question!Where to start,my comprehensivley equipped old Merc,"Matilda"since you ask.(I fancied Astrid but that's another story)Anyway she came with everything but instructions,so,re zig panel.It has a three way switch with two little diagrams.One looks like a caravan and cannot remember what t'other one depicts.Centre possitition on switch I took to be off.(As you do!).When I hook up to mains,lights come on if I've left them in on pos.(Keeping up?)If I flick switch to right,needle on dial goes up to 13.7 or so.However,when I flick to left needle is low.I need to know whether she charges batteries automaticaly when I hook up,or whether I have to move zig switch over to left or right?With switch in centre (off? )position I am able to use the 240.v.plug sockets.:helpsos: Yours .

I'm no expert but if it's anything like the panel on my old van, one position switches the 12V supply to lights etc. to the vehicle battery (and indicates its charge) and the other position to the van's leisure battery. It has no effect on the supply of mains electricity to mains appliances.

Without knowing which way you've got your switch I can't really say what's wrong but I would guess that the low reading is the charge in your leisure battery and that it's not charging (or holding a charge) properly.

Your van may or may not have a mains charging unit for charging the vehicle batteries when on mains hook up.

Tim

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi barerase,

On an old caravan with a Zig unit, I was caught out thinking that my leisure battery was being charged, whilst on hook up, parked on the driveway at home. It wasn't until I got to my holiday destination in North Devon, that I realised the switch had been in the "car" position all the time, instead of the "van" position, so the only charge it received was from the drive down. :Doh:

On Zig units, you have to switch over manually to whatever battery you are using/charging. Some modern charging systems switch and charge automatically.

HTH,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
These instructions may be of help, but which model of unit do you have?

Link Removed

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bit of good advice: Get a voltmeter or multimeter.

Then you can answer these questions properly. Measure leisure battery off charge, put on charge, if voltage rises it's charging. Simples.

If you don't have one then invest no more than a tenner on ebay or maybe Maplins.

Under 11V battery probably had it.

Under 12.5V not on charge.

12.5 to 14.5 it's charging.

Over 14.5 and you charger is killing the battery.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi barerase,

On an old caravan with a Zig unit, I was caught out thinking that my leisure battery was being charged, whilst on hook up, parked on the driveway at home. It wasn't until I got to my holiday destination in North Devon, that I realised the switch had been in the "car" position all the time, instead of the "van" position, so the only charge it received was from the drive down. :Doh:

On Zig units, you have to switch over manually to whatever battery you are using/charging. Some modern charging systems switch and charge automatically.

HTH,

Jock.

Hi Jock, are you sure your van has a mains charger unit? Not all do (like my old Swift Sundance). If you're not sure, measure your battery voltages when on and off mains (without the engine running obviously). If no change, then no charger.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
and as an older caravan, it may have a charger, but not still working. I recently upped our 12v charger from the 2 amp one it has had from new, to a heavy duty 15 amp one. I got it from ebay, new but never fitted, and still in box for £30. I think that size would be around £70 normally. And you cant live without a multimeter.:thumb:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yep, definitely had a charger thanks, as when plugged in on the campsite, the battery recharged and showed a reading.

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Electrics cont.

Thanks to all for words of wisdom,will get the multi meter thingy manana.To DesRes in particular,the p.d.f. is most useful.Mine does not look like C.F.8 but tells me more than when I looked up Zig homepage.Cheers!:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Zig zag!

Just been to have a shuffty,it's a Zig E 4!:whatthe:

Upvote 0

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
You're welcome BA, just had a search for "E4" but no hits.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Zigger zagger!

Afternoon Jock,sadly no it's not.I think during the course of my enquiries the answer seems to be that no,the unit doesn't self select on plugging in.So,I will flick switch to #2 (with little picture of caravan )and hook up and see what happens.As I said earlier,she has all the mod cons but the only instructions are for the boiler.Judging by this web site I know it's not just me so that's a small comfort.Thanks to all,doubtless there will be a next time!:thumb:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Afternoon Jock,sadly no it's not.I think during the course of my enquiries the answer seems to be that no,the unit doesn't self select on plugging in.So,I will flick switch to #2 (with little picture of caravan )and hook up and see what happens.As I said earlier,she has all the mod cons but the only instructions are for the boiler.Judging by this web site I know it's not just me so that's a small comfort.Thanks to all,doubtless there will be a next time!:thumb:
Afternoon to you too. :Smile:

I've had 2 x zig units in different caravans, and neither were self selecting on hook up. I had to physically switch to whichever battery I needed to be on, ie, on site it was "van" battery, and if touring, it was "car" battery.

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Zig Zig Sputnik!

Evening fellow tin tent dwellers.An update to anyone following my gripping charger saga! Within 1 hour of hooking her up to mains,the needle on gauge #2 (caravan drawing ) has shot from glum in the red @ 9 to a dizzy nearly 13! Where will it all end? Don't some bright spark (pun) pour water on my simple pleasure.:Angry:.So excited I could crush a grape!:roflmto:

Upvote 0

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Evening fellow tin tent dwellers.An update to anyone following my gripping charger saga! Within 1 hour of hooking her up to mains,the needle on gauge #2 (caravan drawing ) has shot from glum in the red @ 9 to a dizzy nearly 13! Where will it all end? Don't some bright spark (pun) pour water on my simple pleasure.:Angry:.So excited I could crush a grape!:roflmto:

Sharing the stoke dude...:Cool:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Told you. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Enough with the zigs already!

Cheers guys,flippin 'eck it's almost like some kind of mini community on here?:winky:I've a good mind to subscribe to Britstops & think about staying out in her.Quick question slipping in unnoticed! Where's best for l.e.d. bulbs if one was thinking of converting,or am I getting too big for my boots now? :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Cheers guys,flippin 'eck it's almost like some kind of mini community on here?:winky:
Funny you should say that :winky:

Where's best for l.e.d. bulbs if one was thinking of converting,or am I getting too big for my boots now? :RollEyes:
Some use Aten Lighting who gives a Funster discount. :Smile:
Some use LEDbulbs4u, who don't give a Funster discount. :Sad:
And some use JM Goods, who seem to be fairly priced, especially at the shows. Others buy from Ebay.

We replaced all 15 x halogen bulbs for LEDs, with some being warm white, and others being bright white, (not cool white). You hardly notice the needle on the battery meter moving, when they are all on, :Smile: compared to the halogens. :whatthe:

HTH,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back