Free Member
May 4, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
hello all

im newbie just bought a transit swb medium height roof, im fine with the carpenrty but crap on electrics and as this needs to be the first consideration im asking does anyone know if a place that can wire up the leisure battery for me near dartford kent area

cheers

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun, best if you subscribe as you will run out of posts doing a new van conversion with the number of questions you will ask us.

Best tenner you will ever spend and you will get that back with member discounts

You can always phone my workshop and book it in.

Link Removed <<< HERE

Good luck
Peter

OP
OP
J

john arnold

Free Member
May 4, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Yeah i might, how much would it cost to get the main part of electrics done, i can do the lights etc just the battery and all the relay malarky

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
split charge relay system in motorhomes is basically the same as fitted to caravan towcars. any local auto electrician or towbar place could do the job between £50 and £100 dependant on how much you do yourself. an hour of labour plus parts

basically you need a good thick wire run from the van battery via a fuse to relay/s (you can use one intelligent relay) then more thick wire from relay to leisure battery and another to the fridge. the negative side of the leisure battery gets wired to a bare metal point on the chassis.

running the habitation electrics from there depends on what you want to fit:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
split charge relay system in motorhomes is basically the same as fitted to caravan towcars. any local auto electrician or towbar place could do the job between £50 and £100 dependant on how much you do yourself. an hour of labour plus parts

basically you need a good thick wire run from the van battery via a fuse to relay/s (you can use one intelligent relay) then more thick wire from relay to leisure battery and another to the fridge. the negative side of the leisure battery gets wired to a bare metal point on the chassis.

running the habitation electrics from there depends on what you want to fit:thumb:

If your budget runs to it and you are planning off-grid living at all, consider a battery to battery charger instead of a relay. The fitting is basically the same, but it does a much better job of charging the battery quickly, so just a few tens of miles driving every day can keep you topped up. The split charge will run your fridge well and give you a trickle charge, but won't be good as your primary source of electrical habitation energy. Alternatively, solar is good, especially if you prefer nice weather to winter ski trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
B2B chargers tend to be too expensive for most self builders to consider

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Hi the Durite 12volt 140Amp split charge relay is what u need & some good heavy duty wiring.

Not cheap thou

Don't bother with the cheap split charge systems....

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
B2B chargers tend to be too expensive for most self builders to consider

Brought a B2B charger from C.A.K. Tanks for ~ £30, Jaws put me on to them.

CAK Battery Charge Manager BCM12
. Automatic
charge switching device allows charging of the vehicle
starting battery once the auxiliary battery is charged by
hook-up charger or solar panel. Charge rate 0.1 to 4 A
max. Allows better use of wasted solar panel charge by
directing it to a second battery prevents flattening of start
battery from having cab equipment running. LED
illuminates to confirm unit has switched to charge. Size
80x50xD50mm

CSB-2CarBatteryRechargingSystem_zpsa6fe0de7.jpg

CSB2 = BCM!2