electrics/batt

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ONSLAUGHT, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ONSLAUGHT

ONSLAUGHT Read Only Funster

hi all,
    just joined so here goes with my first post, so please bear with me.
    got myself a briefcase type solar panel today,so went to connect up to leasure battery(under pass seat):cry: and welded crocadile clip to seat base, now control panel wont work only if i use engine or e.h.u, checked all the fuses i can find, all o.k.
    panel showing leasure battery not holding charge, batt is only a few months old, is it possible i have ruined the battery or is there any hidden fuses.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi, i assume you mean the croc clip was on the pos battery post AND touching the seat base ?

all that would do is put a massive load/drain on the battery but wouldn't blow any fuses unless they are on the earth side (doubtful) but could cause internal damage to the battery.

how long was the clip touching the base., ?

can you check the battery voltage with a multi/volt meter ?

try removing the battery leads at the posts and give them a clean then refix and check voltage/charge again......could be the sudden high load has caused a high resistance in the post connection/s

as an aside....always connect the briefcase solar panel to the battery with it closed.....no sun, no power.

3. ONSLAUGHT

ONSLAUGHT Read Only Funster

thanks pappajohn, clip was touching base for about 4/5 secs, will try cleaning posts, if thats not the answer will take batt and get it checked. thanks again, barney.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i dont think a few seconds will have killed the battery Barney.

you could try removing it and charging it 'on the bench' to see if it will accept and hold a charge.

5. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

I would just take battery back to the shop and not say a word about what happened.
    Just say you went away and the battery was not charged when you got there....

And hope they exchange it.

Good luck