Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
HI.WE HAVE A 1977 HYMER 720 ON A MERC 508D CHASSIS.
I HAVE RECENTLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE LEISURE BATTERY DRAINING DOWN VERY QUICKLY.IT GOES DOWN TO ABOUT 5V.
I HAVE HAD A BIT OF A LOOK AT IT.
IT SEEMS THE RADIO/CD RUNS OFF THE LEISURE BATTERY TOO.
WHEN I DISCONNECT THIS(WITH THE FACE OFF,JUST A SMALL RED FLASHING LIGHT) THERE IS QUITE A SPARK.DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE THE PROBLEM?
AN INTERNAL FAULT OR A SHORT ON THE FEED?
I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS!!
THIS IS AS FAR AS I HAVE GOT.
CHEERS DON.
:Doh::Doh:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If the battery has been down to 5 volt chances are its knackered any way.:Sad:

Give it a decent charge (off the van!!) test voltage then leave over night and test voltage again. If less than 12-13 volts chuck it and buy a new one.:Doh:

As far as the radio goes and assuming the battery is ok take out the fuse with the battery refitted and see if you still have the same problem. If so then you have answered your own question.:winky:

If all else fails its an auto electrician job:Doh:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Next door nieboughor had similar with a car some years back and a faulty radio was the culprit, radio worked fine but substantial current draw when idle.

We noticed with the first RV we had that the radio was flattening the battery when the van wasn't in use for a few weeks so I fitted a switch next to the radio to completely switch it off (ie no power) and curred the problem, not a fault with the radio in this case just memory power etc.

Other things, has your van got an alarm, this can cause a drain though usually I would expect this to be off the engine battery and a final thought, have you got a reversing camera? I'd fitted one again on the leasure battery, old van and brakes on/engine ticking over the voltage dropped to much and the camera went off, and even though there was a big on/off button the camera caused a serious drain with the switch in the off possition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back